Player Discussion Jeff Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He is. Often injured and no longer fits today's NHL. His transition game is HORRIBLE.
Your analysis of Weber is horrible. He is hands down the best defender in the NHL from the hash marks down. He makes strong outlet passes and rarely coughs up the puck. Most novice ethusiasts mistake dmen who like to carry the puck as the only type that are strong in the transition game. They conveniently forget which player started the transition by taking possession of the puck in the first place. More astute fans notice when dmen are forced to skate with the puck because they were unable to identify and execute the breakout via pass. Weber is close to being text book perfect from a coaching standpoint. If some fans are unable to recognize this and would like to share their opinion I can respect their right to do so but it is awfully painful to read/listen to.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Your analysis of Weber is horrible. He is hands down the best defender in the NHL from the hash marks down. He makes strong outlet passes and rarely coughs up the puck. Most novice ethusiasts mistake dmen who like to carry the puck as the only type that are strong in the transition game. They conveniently forget which player started the transition by taking possession of the puck in the first place. More astute fans notice when dmen are forced to skate with the puck because they were unable to identify and execute the breakout via pass. Weber is close to being text book perfect from a coaching standpoint. If some fans are unable to recognize this and would like to share their opinion I can respect their right to do so but it really is painful to read/listen to.
Hes a tire fire in the transition game and the habs have been dominant this season from the transition game and PP (two things Weber sucks at). Without that, They will surely revert to last year's mess. And if u recall correctly, most our struggles happened with Weber in the lineup. We were a lot better without him than with him, especially our PP (no doubt).

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Hes a tire fire in the transition game and the habs have been dominant this season from the transition game and PP (two things Weber sucks at). Without that, They will surely revert to last year's mess. And if u recall correctly, most our struggles happened with Weber in the lineup. We were a lot better without him than with him, especially our PP (no doubt).
Check the year prior to acquiring Weber vs the following year. When you finish that check our record with Weber in the lineup vs without. Absorb these facts then ask yourself if this team is playing the same system as they did last year. If you are intellectually honest you will either admit you are wrong and drop this ridiculous agenda or......you will continue to be wrong.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Check the year prior to acquiring Weber vs the following year. When you finish that check our record with Weber in the lineup vs without. Absorb these facts then ask yourself if this team is playing the same system as they did last year. If you are intellectually honest you will either admit you are wrong and drop this ridiculous agenda or......you will continue to be wrong.
Lol play the intellectual card to stop an argument. SAD. S-A-D. I dont need to show off my intellect. Weber, imo, does not fit the Habs and is a declining asset as we we speak.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Lol play the intellectual card to stop an argument. SAD. S-A-D. I dont need to show off my intellect. Weber, imo, does not fit the Habs and is a declining asset as we we speak.

Being intellectually honest doesn't mean you need to show off your intellect, it just means that you need to be honest instead of making convoluted arguments that lead to nowhere. Weber isn't close to as bad as you make him out to be.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Being intellectually honest doesn't mean you need to show off your intellect, it just means that you need to be honest instead of making convoluted arguments that lead to nowhere. Weber isn't close to as bad as you make him out to be.
So an argument u dont agree with is an argument that leads to nowhere? Maybe ur the problem here and ur lack of open mindedness.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Petry has a 15 team NTC/NMC contract. That leaves 16 teams and if anybody is interested in him at the deadline, it's going to be a playoff team. If the Habs help the Leafs and retain salary for the last 3 years, I'm sure they would be interested but not sure how much they want to mortgage the future.

If I'm the GM, I'm listening to offers and I'm talking to Petry about this future. The focus would be we are not ready to go on cup runs in the 3 years left on his contract and we prefer to move in a youth direction.

Note that as Petry isn't a UFA, he can be traded to a non-playoff team in a hockey trade.

Petry's turning 31 in December - that's getting old for dmen in the new NHL. I would try to move him before he declines.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
So an argument u dont agree with is an argument that leads to nowhere? Maybe ur the problem here and ur lack of open mindedness.

No, my opinion is that your argument doesn't really hold up, and that you are now trying to find ways to attack other things.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
With the Way Julssen playing and Weber coming back I think we can trade Petry at the TDL even retain salary and maximise return This would mean selling at the highest possible value and a lot easier to move.

Reactions: Chr1s97

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Yeah I meant the return, more specifically. If this was do or die for him, he trades Patch in a 1-for-1 type deal for an experienced player who can help us right away. Mind you, Tatar ended up exactly that but I doubt they saw him as much more than a complimentary piece to Suzuki at the time.

The main need we had at the time was a center, I don't think 1 year of Pacioretty could return a top 6 center.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
With the Way Julssen playing and Weber coming back I think we can trade Petry at the TDL even retain salary and maximise return This would mean selling at the highest possible value and a lot easier to move.

I'm praying Petry racks up the points and has high value at the deadline - and that MB makes the right move and trades him instead of trying to squeeze into the playoffs.

Reactions: montreal

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
The main need we had at the time was a center, I don't think 1 year of Pacioretty could return a top 6 center.
He did trade three of our biggest assets without filling needs...but agreed on the second part, atleast not a very good one.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
He did trade three of our biggest assets without filling needs...but agreed on the second part, atleast not a very good one.
he did fix that by drafting well. C is no longer an issue once the kids are ready. Kotka, Domi/Drouin, Suzuki, Peohling, Danault, Olofsson, etc...

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
he did fix that by drafting well. C is no longer an issue once the kids are ready. Kotka, Domi/Drouin, Suzuki, Peohling, Danault, Olofsson, etc...
It's much better than what we've had before, I'll say that. But I'd like it to be great for once.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
It's much better than what we've had before, I'll say that. But I'd like it to be great for once.
i agree but we'll have to be patience here. Our prospects need time to develop into stars and extra years of top 10 picks should do wonders.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
Petry has become the Pacioretty of defensemen. He literally shoots from everywhere, all the time, whether it’s a good shot or bad shot. He wastes so many offensive zone opportunities with dumb shots.

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
giphy.gif

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Note that as Petry isn't a UFA, he can be traded to a non-playoff team in a hockey trade.

Petry's turning 31 in December - that's getting old for dmen in the new NHL. I would try to move him before he declines.

I'm not worried about decline until players turn 35. Petry has 3 years left from age 30-32/33. Are the Pens thinking about trading Malkin, Crosby, Letang, Kessel cause they are all older than Petry.

But I do agree he should be moved if we can get a solid return. This deadline or even on draft day.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not worried about decline until players turn 35. Petry has 3 years left from age 30-32/33. Are the Pens thinking about trading Malkin, Crosby, Letang, Kessel cause they are all older than Petry.

But I do agree he should be moved if we can get a solid return. This deadline or even on draft day.

Petry isn't in the same level as those players. Those are elite players in their prime. As they decline, they will all still be very good.

Statistically there just aren't that many 33 year olds that are successful in today's NHL. It's a young man's game. Petry could be the next Louis Eriksson. Petry's a good skater. But at what age will he lose a step? It's unclear. I'd rather trade him than find out.

For example, of the top 40 scorers in the league right now, only 2 are 33 and older: Patrice Bergeron and Zach Parise. Petry was never in their league, talent wise.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Petry isn't in the same level as those players. Those are elite players in their prime. As they decline, they will all still be very good.

Statistically there just aren't that many 33 year olds that are successful in today's NHL. It's a young man's game. Petry could be the next Louis Eriksson. Petry's a good skater. But at what age will he lose a step? It's unclear. I'd rather trade him than find out.

For example, of the top 40 scorers in the league right now, only 2 are 33 and older: Patrice Bergeron and Zach Parise. Petry was never in their league, talent wise.

How was Petry able to improve his production at the age of 29 and 30? Decline from 29-35 is very modest with most NHL top of the line-up assets. Not worried about Decline with Petry from age 30-33.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad