Player Discussion Jeff Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
(MOD)

Petry is playing with a partner who is a brainless nightmare. Try watching how often Petry has to adjust to Beaulieu covering the wrong man and playing on the wrong side of the ice. This is compounded by Therrien's mindless system which too often requires the dman to force the puck along the boards or dump it out.

For those of you that have actually payed the position before you will hate Beaulieu as he literally is being babysat by Petry. It is awfully tough to play your position effectively when your partner is all over the ice.

Last edited by a moderator:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Our defense is solid. Can you imagine the absolute carnage that would ensue if they were ever given the directive to punish?

I get that delivering hits can mean the player gets out of position, but , especially in the play-offs where it is a bit of a marathon playing a team for at least 4 games, hitting can wear out an opponent to at least some degree.

I know our forwards are on the smallish side, but our D is pretty damn big and in a healthy line-up , including Pateryn, the only non hitter would be Markov. we have 2 punishing hitters in Weber and Emelin , with Petry, Beaulieu and Pateryn all being able to hit.

I think we need to step up the hitting part of the game. We are getting out hit and badly some games. We could wear the other team down better, and also make them keep their heads up more.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I get that delivering hits can mean the player gets out of position, but , especially in the play-offs where it is a bit of a marathon playing a team for at least 4 games, hitting can wear out an opponent to at least some degree.

I know our forwards are on the smallish side, but our D is pretty damn big and in a healthy line-up , including Pateryn, the only non hitter would be Markov. we have 2 punishing hitters in Weber and Emelin , with Petry, Beaulieu and Pateryn all being able to hit.

I think we need to step up the hitting part of the game. We are getting out hit and badly some games. We could wear the other team down better, and also make them keep their heads up more.

I thought Therrien opposed hitting as it could be an injury risk to the hitter.

And thus not worth taking in the regular season.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Once again this is another thread with too many people who just don't understand the game.

Petry is playing with a partner who is a brainless nightmare. Try watching how often Petry has to adjust to Beaulieu covering the wrong man and playing on the wrong side of the ice. This is compounded by Therrien's mindless system which too often requires the dman to force the puck along the boards or dump it out.

For those of you that have actually payed the position before you will hate Beaulieu as he literally is being babysat by Petry. It is awfully tough to play your position effectively when your partner is all over the ice.

That excuse works some of the time, but Petry has been awful the last 10 games. He is a turnover machine, and it has nothing to do with his partner.

member 256847

I don't think Beaulieu is a D partner that maximizes Petry's potential, simply because they're both puck carrying D, a little on the soft side, that should be playing with a stabilizing defensive D who covers up their offensive initiatives.

I like our Ds individually (minus the bottom pair), I just don't like the overall mix. Petry struggling right now is more indicative IMO of his lack of chemistry with his partner than his own deficient game.

Markov with Petry is ok though as he's such a smart player who can adapt to any partner. In other words, if Markov can't come back soon, we're screwed.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
(MOD)

Just a quick note.
I wanted to make sure you understand that Beaulieu is following directives when he finds himself on the wrong side of the ice they actually line up that way at both ends quite often. So you may think he is covering the wrong man but he isn't. I don't like the strategy because it hasn't worked.
Why they keep going back to it is beyond me.
Petry needs to own up to his own game and no one should be trying to foist his gaffs on Beaulieu.
The pairings should be Weber Beaulieu and Petry Emelin until we get someone back.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Petry has already scored more goals than he ever did.
One more point and he will tie his highest number of points (25) in his career.

All of this in 48 games.
Could very well get 40 points.

BTW, Beaulieu is also one point behind his best season after 43 games.
He could get 33 points, pace of 36 points.
Much better than 19 points.

Having two d-men with a pace 45-50 points (Markov and Weber) and two other with a pace of 35-40 points is pretty good.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Petry is now having his best season ever.

He has his nest number of goals and his best point totals sor far this season.

On pace for 13G-27A.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
never understood the hate he gets from a few around here, even if he's a bit overpaid. The last time he put up this many points was his Junior year in the NCAA for Michigan State (his last before turning pro) although he was close one year with the Oilers, and would have easily pasted those numbers in his first year in the AHL had he only played 41 games. Here's how his last two seasons compare,

'15-'16
51-5-11-16 -6 16 pims

'16-'17
54-8-18-26 +11 20 pims

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
He has the tendency to make alot of boneheaded plays, basically just really stupid decision making plays (getting his outlet passes intercepted etc.). Overall when he's on his game he's really effective tho, he just needs to be more alert defensively.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
The guy's 52nd in scoring among defencemen in the league!

That's first pairing production ffs!

Temper your expectations.

I'm looking for reliability from petry first and foremost. I know it's there somewhere as petry has shown it in the past. He needs to find it fast. I'd rather have the dependable petry with less points than the petry of today who sort of reminds me of brisebois during his first stint with the habs.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I'm looking for reliability from petry first and foremost. I know it's there somewhere as petry has shown it in the past. He needs to find it fast. I'd rather have the dependable petry with less points than the petry of today who sort of reminds me of brisebois during his first stint with the habs.

Raise your expectations for once.

Maybe look at his poor defensive play.

You guys expect out of him perfection. There's a reason he's a second pair D, the guy will make mistakes here and there. Look around the league and you'll see that Petry on your second pair is pretty good...

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
You guys expect out of him perfection. There's a reason he's a second pair D, the guy will make mistakes here and there. Look around the league and you'll see that Petry on your second pair is pretty good...

Petry has been absolutely horrific for some time now. And I was one of his biggest fanboys. Benn has been so much better than him, it's actually sad.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

There's a difference between looking for a player to play up to his capabilities, and demanding perfection. I don't make this comment if its a short funk, because that is normal for a player to go through. Petry has not been himself for quite some time now, and its getting to be the time of year where you need him to be that dependable guy that we all know he can be and has been in the past.

This team is not going to score alot of goals, but I believe that the defense can be a decided strength when a guy like Petry is on his game. I don't need to compare him to the average 2nd pairing d-man in the NHL. Instead, I compare Petry to Petry.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Not sure what to think on this guy. Can provide some much needed offence from the back end but can also be a nightmare in his own end.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Not sure what to think on this guy. Can provide some much needed offence from the back end but can also be a nightmare in his own end.

Well, he finished 58th in the league in points for D this year... You could say he's a first pair D.

Chara, Muzzin, Ekblad, Stralman, Vlasic, Demers, Brodin are all there with him...

He's doing what he's paid to do IMO.

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
In Marc's words, some get you through the season, others through the playoffs. So far, Jeff seems to turn on another gear when in the post-season, and it's hard not to like players like that. He plays with this very interesting intensity and urgency that I like.

Tankster*

Jun 18, 2016
St Jean (US export)
In Marc's words, some get you through the season, others through the playoffs. So far, Jeff seems to turn on another gear when in the post-season, and it's hard not to like players like that. He plays with this very interesting intensity and urgency that I like.

I agree with this assessment, only thing i wished he would bring more is meanness, he has the size but seems to back away from it.

Bergevillain

Aug 1, 2014
London, ON

I remember a couple years ago, when Subban got ejected for the microfracture slash, Petry was put in his spot for that game and was rock solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad