Player Discussion Jeff Petry (Part II) - #mynamejeff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Petry has grown into a #2 / elite #3 all-round D man and has been brilliant for us. Who did Edmonton pick with the 2nd rounder we "paid" for him?

I see a lot of "trade him whilst his value is high" comments and yes, I get that point. Unless that value is real, tangible, can't miss or ready now value, why would we break our second pairing? Are we expecting Brook to instantly morph into Petry 2.0, to play Petry minutes in Petry situations and deliver Petry production next season?

It would need to be a big overpayment before we consider moving him on, if you ask me.
Because were not winning anything even with this "awesome" player.

They traded away their second, which has landed in the hands of the Caps with whom they drafted the excellent young Dman Jonas Siegenthaler, who's in the NHL with the caps, and with the fourth rounder they drafted Caleb Jones, who's also in the NHL.

They sent the 2nd along with other picks for Talbot.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Petry has grown into a #2 / elite #3 all-round D man and has been brilliant for us. Who did Edmonton pick with the 2nd rounder we "paid" for him?

I see a lot of "trade him whilst his value is high" comments and yes, I get that point. Unless that value is real, tangible, can't miss or ready now value, why would we break our second pairing? Are we expecting Brook to instantly morph into Petry 2.0, to play Petry minutes in Petry situations and deliver Petry production next season?

It would need to be a big overpayment before we consider moving him on, if you ask me.
#PicksAddict

Reactions: Vachon23

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Because were not winning anything even with this "awesome" player.

They traded away their second, which has landed in the hands of the Caps with whom they drafted the excellent young Dman Jonas Siegenthaler, who's in the NHL with the caps, and with the fourth rounder they drafted Caleb Jones, who's also in the NHL.

They sent the 2nd along with other picks for Talbot.
Neither of Siegenthaler or Caleb Jones will ever become anything relative to the player that Petry is.

Jul 6, 2016
He deserves a bump. His game has progressed leaps and bounds since being traded here.

He's always playing better when Weber is not around. Maybe TO would like Weber next season for Nylander and ???

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Bergevin has been following trends since he got here, and that's a fact nobody can deny. He switches team identities every October, looking at what worked for other teams the year before. Someone on this club refuses to believe size is a factor, or important, and its not just the moron in charge. Since the late 90's this team has been small, weak and disgustingly lacking a forecheck.

There is lots of room for smaller players in the NHL, there is no way one team should have a boat load of them up front. Gallagher, Domi, Byron, Drouin, Danault, Tatar, Peca, Hudon, Weal, Leks, Shaw.. all well south of 200lbs. 6 months of hockey beat up on the team, yet again. Look how Armia sort of held pace all the way through, even after injury. Big bodies really do insulate the smaller players, take the pressure off at key times etc.

Then you have only a couple legitimate guys over 200bls on the blueline. That's just unreal. Weber and Folin. That's it. That is way too small of a team to perform past January, its unreasonable to think they can hold up any sort of physical standard.

I hope Suzuki can crush it here, but I don't see how on an already way too small of a team, he's going to get pounded out there.

Why are you ignoring Benn and Petry? Because they're listed at 197 and 199 lbs?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Why are you ignoring Benn and Petry? Because they're listed at 197 and 199 lbs?

Petry is gangly, he isn't physical at all. Benn? I mean, if he's actually in position he can make a hit, reminds me of Kevin Haller.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Petry is gangly, he isn't physical at all. Benn? I mean, if he's actually in position he can make a hit, reminds me of Kevin Haller.

Petry is as physical as he needs to be. This is no soft top 4D here. Very far from it. Benn is very effective in a bottom pairing role. If we lose him, at least we have Juulsen that can replace him.

Benn had a very good season. I hope we bring him back. He is a very solid depth piece but lets hope he is not looking to cash in. If so, bye bye

Reactions: juggernaut

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Petry is as physical as he needs to be. This is no soft top 4D here. Very far from it. Benn is very effective in a bottom pairing role. If we lose him, at least we have Juulsen that can replace him.

Benn had a very good season. I hope we bring him back. He is a very solid depth piece but lets hope he is not looking to cash in. If so, bye bye

I liked Benn in a limited role as well, he surprised me this year.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I liked Benn in a limited role as well, he surprised me this year.

He is a solid player if we play him in the right role. Problem is playing him in a top 4D role. Not a big problem if you have an injury and he needs to fill in but not a good situation for the Habs or Benn if we play him in a full time top 4D role.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Petry isn't physical at all???????? You have to be kidding. Benn has absolutely no resemblance to Haller. Not sure what you are watching??

Reactions: Captain Mountain

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I hope that Petry is gonna be protect for the expansion draft. I think that he could be a defensemen whos gonna keep a high level skill during next 5/6 years. Hes not playing a rude hockey and hes not often with injury. Imo he is underrated and hope he will retired with our club

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Terrific trade by MB for a guy who can play as a good 2D as someone said.

Two years left on his contract and then he is UFA. He will be 33.

Habs may want to look at moving him anytime from this TDL, depending on our outlook.

I dont think we should be resigning a 33 year old guy.

Teams will want an experienced solid no.2 D capable player who will not need to be protected in the Expansion Draft.

I think Molson demands the post season this year so I dont see Petry being moved by this TDL , unless it's a disaster of a year.

Next season could be a good time to move him.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
as stated above Petry is UFA during the expansion draft, doesn't need to be protected. I know Petry is good but he isn't getting any younger and with Weber being a locked here. Montreal will need to make room to give young players more minutes ( Brook, Juulsen, Fleury). They would be smart to trade him at the deadline ( if we aren't in good shape) or after the playoff run, you realy need to maximize the value and keep this team going foward.

If the money is right you need to resign Petry. He brings too much to the table in the modern NHL. I'd move Juulsen instead.

Juulsen should be 1 of the pieces in a package for a LD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad