Player Discussion Jeff Petry (Part II) - #mynamejeff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Hehe, I wish. Even without Lafreniere the right thing to do is to sell high on a guy like Petry. Unless we are under the delusion that we can win a cup with this team.

I agree. I've been saying so for about a year now. What, is his value going to go up if we sign him to another contract?

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
+ side`````````````````````````` - side
he good`````````````````````````He 31
````````````````````````````````Not making the POs right now
````````````````````````````````Hes going to want a 8m+ contract
```````````````````````````````Hes blocking Brook, Fleury, Juulsen on the depth chart

Pacioretty
+ side``````````````````````````- side
He good `````````````````````````` He 31
``````````````````````````````````Not making the POs right now
`````````````````````````````````` Hes going to want 8m + contract​

Damn faceplam amirite. Did you want to move Pacioretty ?

Oh, would you look at that...

So you would trade Petry because he's blocking Juulsen in the depth chart? This is really one of your argument? I love Juulsen as a depth defenseman, but this is a ridiculous argument. What's next, let's trade Domi because he's blocking McCarron in the depth chart? :help:

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
So you would trade Petry because he's blocking Juulsen in the depth chart? This is really one of your argument? I love Juulsen as a depth defenseman, but this is a ridiculous argument. What's next, let's trade Domi because he's blocking McCarron in the depth chart? :help:

These are completely different arguments. Petry is playing great, probably the best hockey of his career last year and he looked good yesterday. But he is not a 23 year old man.

Reactions: Redux91

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
```````````````````````````````Hes blocking Brook, Fleury, Juulsen on the depth chart

Pacioretty

Apart from the god-awful formatting, in what world would Petry reasonably expect to become a top-10 AAV D-man at 33?

And its pretty dumb to complain about a guy playing really good hockey blocking kids.

Reactions: HabsMD97

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
this guy don’t get no love around here but he is our best all round dman and just gets better year after year! He is an undisputed #1 RHD in the league. Fast, steady defensively, moves and skates the puck really well and produces offense without any impact to his defensive responsibilities.

So let’s trade him while his value is sky high! :DD
He gets lots of love around here.

Perfect 2nd pairing D man. I hope we can sign him when his contact come due but he may want too much term for it to make sense for us.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I would make space to sign him. I understand he is in his early 30s. If he is signed reasonably close to market value, and someday we have an embarrassment of riches on defence, then he will still be tradeable. Right now, the team does not have the luxury to let him go while still remaining competitive. I don't subscribe to tanking and I don't believe that a proud organization such as this one should do so.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Domi is 23
Petry is 31
Juulsen is good, but hes also the third worst player out of that list. And even he is much better than McCArron.
Id complain if Domi was 31 and blocking Kotkaniemi though.

Apart from the god-awful formatting, in what world would Petry reasonably expect to become a top-10 AAV D-man at 33?

And its pretty dumb to complain about a guy playing really good hockey blocking kids.

Hey sorry, I tried with blanc space and it screwed it all up.

In a world where Trouba, Chabot, Spurgeron, Vlasic, Byfugilen and Ekblad got that money. Yep, Petrys better than all of those guys, why woud he settle for less? He finished 15th in points last year, hes gonna finish around this again. He was around (+/-) 10 points from these guys
Suter (7.5)
McDonagh (6.75)
DOughty (7)
Trouba (8)
Chabot (8)

You know how negociations go, right ? His agents isnt going to come in and say, well youve been using Petry as a number one for three years now, and Weber is paid 7.5, its just normal that you'd pay him more. Then hes gonna list the comparables... And those guys are the ones hes gonna compare himself to.

You can also be sure that this list is going to get even longer with Pie, Josi and others looking for contracts.

Its also not dumb when the guy is 31 and not going to be part of the winning core.

Its pretty funny that you guys would act like Petry is one of the best defender playing super good hockey but then we talk salary and somehow hes going to want 5.5 or something. The sam goes for Danault, Gallagher and Tatar.

Reactions: Capitano

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Domi is 23
Petry is 31
Juulsen is good, but hes also the third worst player out of that list. And even he is much better than McCArron.

In a world where Trouba, Chabot, Spurgeron, Vlasic, Byfugilen and Ekblad got that money. Yep, Petrys better than all of those guys, why woud he settle for less? He finished 15th in points last year, hes gonna finish around this again. He was around (+/-) 10 points from these guys
Suter (7.5)
McDonagh (6.75)
DOughty (7)
Trouba (8)
Chabot (8)

You know how negociations go, right ? His agents isnt going to come in and say, well youve been using Petry as a number one for three years now, and Weber is paid 7.5, its just normal that you'd pay him more. Then hes gonna list the comparables... And those guys are the ones hes gonna compare himself to.

You can also be sure that this list is going to get even longer with Pie, Josi and others looking for contracts.

Its also not dumb when the guy is 31 and not going to be part of the winning core.

Its pretty funny that you guys would act like Petry is one of the best defender playing super good hockey but then we talk salary and somehow hes going to want 5.5 or something. The sam goes for Danault, Gallagher and Tatar.

How old were each of those players when they signed those contracts? Petry is great, but aging-curves are real and no team is going to give that much money to a 33 year old UFA.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
I would make space to sign him. I understand he is in his early 30s. If he is signed reasonably close to market value, and someday we have an embarrassment of riches on defence, then he will still be tradeable. Right now, the team does not have the luxury to let him go while still remaining competitive. I don't subscribe to tanking and I don't believe that a proud organization such as this one should do so.

Did Nashville tank when they traded their 30 year old captain to Montreal? It's not about tanking, it's about making smart decisions. Hockey is becoming a young man's game.

Reactions: HabsMD97 and Mrb1p

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
I heart Jeff petry. I have always hearted jeff petry.

He seems to get better with age. He has size and some edge. I saw him give aho a good whack last night. But i really like his skating. He makes it look easy.

Reactions: phillytennis

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
Domi is 23
Petry is 31

Suter (7.5)
McDonagh (6.75)
DOughty (7)
Trouba (8)
Chabot (8)

If I could like this more than once I would. Great post.

Reactions: Mrb1p

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City

Pacioretty

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
How old were each of those players when they signed those contracts? Petry is great, but aging-curves are real and no team is going to give that much money to a 33 year old UFA.

Joe Pavelski just got 7 millions as a 34 years old
Marleau got 6.something at 35
Kovalchuk signed a 6.3 at 35
Price signed a 10.5 at 30
Bob signed a 10.5 at 31
Hank signed a 8.5 at 31
Wheeler signed a 8.5 at 33
Burns signed a 8 at 32
Buff signed a 8 at 30
Vlasic signed 7 at 31
Fleury signed 7 at 34
Seabrook signed 6.85 at 31
Giordano signed 6.75 at 33

I guess it happens more often than youd think, huh?

Petry made peanuts most of his career, 35 millions in his career, hes owed another 10, I think, until his contract is up. Most top 4 defenders will triple that once their career is done.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Joe Pavelski just got 7 millions as a 34 years old
Marleau got 6.something at 35
Kovalchuk signed a 6.3 at 35
Price signed a 10.5 at 30
Bob signed a 10.5 at 31
Hank signed a 8.5 at 31
Wheeler signed a 8.5 at 33
Burns signed a 8 at 32
Buff signed a 8 at 30
Vlasic signed 7 at 31
Fleury signed 7 at 34
Seabrook signed 6.85 at 31
Giordano signed 6.75 at 33

I guess it happens more often than youd think, huh?

Petry made peanuts most of his career, 35 millions in his career, hes owed another 10, I think, until his contract is up. Most top 4 defenders will triple that once their career is done.

I'm not sure why you don't see looking at that list that you're 8 mil at 33 take is bad, but do me a favour, and go gauge from a large sample if a 33 year old Petry is comparable to a 30 year old Buff or a 32 year old Burns.

Reactions: LaP

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm not sure why you don't see looking at that list that you're 8 mil at 33 take is bad, but do me a favour, and go gauge from a large sample if a 33 year old Petry is comparable to a 30 year old Buff or a 32 year old Burns.
Byfuglien ? Yeah, pretty close Id say. top 20ish defender or something, top 20ish in points year in year out, good at both ends.

Im not sure why you don't see that the cap is going up every year and that if you want I can add in cap % but Id much rather not do that because I have other things to do in life.

Salaries are always exponential, its not news to anyone and it certainly is not for you as I know youre not dumb, just playing the part.

Moreover, I dont think I'd sign Petry to a 7 million/5 year contract at 33 either, hes bound to slow down much quicker than most. Look at how Weber is looking at 33, imagine Petry at 35? :Petry is nothing without his skating, hes not Weber, and hes certainly not Markov.

Funny enough too, a lot of the same people that want to re-sign Petry and not trade him are the same people that did not want to bring back Markov at 6.5 or 7. Funny how that works. (Not saying you were, just some.)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree. I've been saying so for about a year now. What, is his value going to go up if we sign him to another contract?

The good news on that matter is Fleury looks like a good one! If we have a stalled year and are outside of the playoffs at the deadline while Fleury (and maybe even Juulsen) show they can play top 4D... it might force Bergevin's hand to trade Petry at the deadline. Lets face it, Bergevin will not trade Petry unless he sees he can be replaced... like Shaw.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Did Nashville tank when they traded their 30 year old captain to Montreal? It's not about tanking, it's about making smart decisions. Hockey is becoming a young man's game.
I get the current emphasis on speed, but some older guys are adept at taking care of themselves, especially on defense. Moreover, Nashville had several other elite defencemen in a position to take up the slack, namely Ekholm, Josi and Ellis, not to mention getting an elite defenseman back in that trade, in Subban. This is where the Nashville analogy breaks down completely. If the trade produces a similarly qualified defenseman in return, there may be a case to be made, but I don't see most teams being that generous. Nashville managed to get a Subban back because of an unusual situation involving a hapless, irrational coach, who had sway over an inexperienced GM, running said player out of town.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Byfuglien ? Yeah, pretty close Id say. top 20ish defender or something, top 20ish in points year in year out, good at both ends.

Im not sure why you don't see that the cap is going up every year and that if you want I can add in cap % but Id much rather not do that because I have other things to do in life.

Salaries are always exponential, its not news to anyone and it certainly is not for you as I know youre not dumb, just playing the part.

Moreover, I dont think I'd sign Petry to a 7 million/5 year contract at 33 either, hes bound to slow down much quicker than most. Look at how Weber is looking at 33, imagine Petry at 35? :Petry is nothing without his skating, hes not Weber, and hes certainly not Markov.

Funny enough too, a lot of the same people that want to re-sign Petry and not trade him are the same people that did not want to bring back Markov at 6.5 or 7. Funny how that works. (Not saying you were, just some.)

THAT'S MY POINT! How are you not getting that?

You're comparing a 33 year old Petry to a 30 year old Buff that had every dimension to his game that Petry has PLUS being a physical beast and a 32 year old Burns who's an offensive dynamo. And you think its realistic that Petry would look to be paid 8 million a year. For **** sakes, Gardiner younger, isn't that far off of Petry impact-wise and just signed for significantly less.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Juulsen was in our top 4D to start the season last year before he got hurt. Petry and Juulsen (with Weber still hurt) were our two best guys in that span. Can he get back to that level once healthy? Why not? Question is can he get healthy? We won't know until he plays games again

Time to consider trading Petry is at the next deadline and we get a decent sample size of Fleury and hopefully also Juulsen. Brook also has a huge season of development in his 1st pro season.

Totally up for trading Petry cause it makes sense but only if the kids behind him show ability to replace him. We are not going to trade Petry cause we are a 100% rebuilding team... people need to realize the circumstance we are in.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
THAT'S MY POINT! How are you not getting that?

You're comparing a 33 year old Petry to a 30 year old Buff that had every dimension to his game that Petry has PLUS being a physical beast and a 32 year old Burns who's an offensive dynamo. And you think its realistic that Petry would look to be paid 8 million a year. For **** sakes, Gardiner younger, isn't that far off of Petry impact-wise and just signed for significantly less.

What Petry will get paid in his next contract has a lot to do with how he is trending the closer he gets to UFA (2 more seasons). If he maintains his level of play from the last few seasons, then yeah, he is getting a raise. $8M AAV? Not sure but it's possible. We are talking two years of cap inflation so salaries are going up.

However, Petry doesn't appear to produce as much with Weber in the line-up and that is a trend. So what does Petry do in the next two seasons if Weber plays above him? It's possible Petry's production numbers slip to 30 pts ish vs 40+. So that would mean what kind of AAV? Maybe it's $6M ish or lower? It's just too dam hard to project forward

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
we need to keep Petry, his skating is effortless and shouldn't be a problem for a long time. If a right d needs to go I vote old man Weber..

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad