Player Discussion Jeff Petry (Part II) - #mynamejeff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
If he keeps playing like this, you're looking at 5 years and 7,000,000$ a season for Petry. I think in the league's current salary structure, it's fair and something the Habs should pay without thinking too much about it.

Reactions: angusyoung

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
If he keeps playing like this, you're looking at 5 years and 7,000,000$ a season for Petry. I think in the league's current salary structure, it's fair and something the Habs should pay without thinking too much about it.

We're long due for a friendly team contract. He will be 33 when resigning and 34 when the new season and contract start ( december ). A 4year deal to push him to 38 is more than enough.

22M seems like a good deal for 4 years

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We're long due for a friendly team contract. He will be 33 when resigning and 34 when the new season and contract start ( december ). A 4year deal to push him to 38 is more than enough.

He likes it in Montreal and we can only hope he signs something close to what Muzzin just signed.

Reactions: angusyoung

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

That's what he's making now pretty much isn't it? I seriously doubt it. He gets WAY more in the free agent market.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

Petry addresses the media via conference call to look back on the 2019-20 season on Wednesday (20/08/26):
“Everybody in the locker room knew that we had a style and a system in place and no matter who was behind the bench, we had to execute... He put that plan into place from the day we got there in July and we just knew what we needed to do to execute that moving forward with him behind the bench and without him when Julien left.

“I'd have to put Richardson as one of the top coaches I've had in my career... His calming presence behind the bench - I can probably count it on one hand the number of times where you can visibly see him upset and I don't know if I've ever heard him yell. A guy who played as long as he did in the League and the experience he had; he knows you're not going to have it every night. He knows that when you make a mistake, you're the first guy to know you made a mistake. So there's no sense hearing it when you come back to the bench. He knows how to get to guys. He has that ability to find little things that are going to help make each player a little bit more effective.”
“For a while, I was searching for consistency in my game... My approach game in and game out has been a focus of mine. I've worked hard to become a complete two-way defenseman and offensive defenseman. It's something I've worked on and worked with the coaching staff about what they expect from me. I've just focused on that from the beginning of the year.”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Season recap (2019/2020): Jeff Petry
Notable numbers:
1)Posting a third straight 40-point season - with 11 goals and 29 assists.
2)Set career-highs with four assists (and points) on Feb. 1 vs. FLA.
3)Played his 250th consecutive game on Feb. 6 vs. ANA.
4)Led team defensemen with 35 hits and led NHL defensemen with 2 game-winning goals in February (tied with Werenski)
5)Led the Canadiens in total ice time, clocking 1,678:52 and 23:39, respectively. His average of 1:24 in overtime was tops on the Habs, 2:24 per game. Petry was Montreal's hits leader with 177 this season and he also led all Canadiens defensemen with 30 takeaways. Petry finished the year in a four-way tie for first on Montreal with three game-winners in 2019-20.
Playoff punditry: Scored the winners in Games 1 and 3 of the Pittsburgh series, becoming just the fifth Canadiens defenseman with multiple game-winning goals in a single playoff year. Lead in ice time, clocking an impressive 25:27 per game in 10 postseason contests and was one of only three Habs to dish out 30 or more hits in the playoffs.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Why? He's not Andrei Markov. I highly doubt he performs this way past 36-37 years old, which are going to be years 2 and 3 of a 5 year contract, finishing when he'll be 39 years old.

It's absolutely bunkers wanting to keep him if those are his demands.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Why? He's not Andrei Markov. I highly doubt he performs this way past 36-37 years old, which are going to be years 2 and 3 of a 5 year contract, finishing when he'll be 39 years old.

It's absolutely bunkers wanting to keep him if those are his demands.

We're in 2020. Tyler Myers earns 6M a year. Erik Karlsson and other top Ds get more than 9M a year. 5 years may be a bit much but you're not going to sign him for anything less than 3 years and he's definitely going to be getting at least 7M a year on the open market.

I see him aging fairly well. He's not a guy who relies on speed or atheticism to be efficient. He's not had a whole lot of injuries in his career. He's pretty big and doesn't play a Josh Gorges-kind of game. I don'T see him game free falling anytime soon.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Defensemen tend to age better than forwards so I wouldn't be too worried about extending Petry. I think MB ask for 3, agent ask for 5 or 6 and they meet somewhere in the middle at 4.

[email protected] or 7 is my guess.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
We're in 2020. Tyler Myers earns 6M a year. Erik Karlsson and other top Ds get more than 9M a year. 5 years may be a bit much but you're not going to sign him for anything less than 3 years and he's definitely going to be getting at least 7M a year on the open market.

That's why you friggin trade him.

He'll be 33 in December. 34 in most of his first contract year. 35 in his second. By the time you reach the final two years, you're almost sure to have an overpaid depreciating asset, if not earlier. It's time to let go of pipedreams and build for the future.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Edward Richtofen

Dec 9, 2020
That's why you friggin trade him.

He'll be 33 in December. 34 in most of his first contract year. 35 in his second. By the time you reach the final two years, you're almost sure to have an overpaid depreciating asset, if not earlier. It's time to let go of pipedreams and build for the future.
Petry is getting better every season like fine wine. Why would we trade him in the Price window? We’re all in right now with this roster, it’s time to go for the cup in the next 3 seasons.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Since there wont be preseason games, they might start with Kulak - Petry and Edmundson - Romanov.

Kulak and Petry played great together in the playoffs, and have shown chemistry before.

Romanov will be paired with a veteran, which should help him.

None of the pairings would need to be sheltered.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Since there wont be preseason games, they might start with Kulak - Petry and Edmundson - Romanov.

Kulak and Petry played great together in the playoffs, and have shown chemistry before.

Romanov will be paired with a veteran, which should help him.

None of the pairings would need to be sheltered.

I wouldn't be surprised to see that and that would apparently be the only way to sell Edmundson on the idea of playing on the third pairing -- rearing a fine young cannibal like Romanov.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Er59ygzXIAIeMyy

Er6TnUNW4AA-6-C

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
Best move MB ever did. The Pacioretty trade might be over time but it's hard to argue against what Petry has done for the club since he got here.

A wonder why Edmonton let him go in the first place.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Best move MB ever did. The Pacioretty trade might be over time but it's hard to argue against what Petry has done for the club since he got here.

A wonder why Edmonton let him go in the first place.

I think it's a combination of a few things.

1. Petry himself got better with age/maturity for the game.
2. The game became less about physical play and more about skating and reading the play quickly, two of Petry's strengths
3. Didn't Petry want out of Edmonton and therefore Edmonton had to trade him? (I may be mis-remembering this last one).

Reactions: Vachon23

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I think it's a combination of a few things.

1. Petry himself got better with age/maturity for the game.
2. The game became less about physical play and more about skating and reading the play quickly, two of Petry's strengths
3. Didn't Petry want out of Edmonton and therefore Edmonton had to trade him? (I may be mis-remembering this last one).

Yep, Petry was UFA at the end of the season and he wasn’t resigning with Edmonton

Reactions: 26Mats
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad