Player Discussion Jeff Petry (Part II) - #mynamejeff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He is pretty close to playing himself into the memories of Habs fans for a long time. He might even get a heroes send off when he's done playing for us. No easy feat in Habs land.

I'll admit I'm bad with the finer points of the defensive side of the game but he's putting up great numbers. Whatever his flaws are I don't think they're bad and frequent enough to sully his great production the last few years.

Reactions: HBDay

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I'll admit I'm bad with the finer points of the defensive side of the game but he's putting up great numbers. Whatever his flaws are I don't think they're bad and frequent enough to sully his great production the last few years.

It's been awesome to watch, he has been a late bloomer. I think it's his confidence and comfort out there. Twice now you've seen it in these play-ins in clear fashion. The first overtime winner, when he gets the puck in the high slot - the toe drag around the defender before the shot, that's something only a calm cool confident and collected player can realize they should do before they shoot it. Most just panic and make a pass or take a shitty shot into bodies. Then the second game winner, again recognizing the space he has on the ice, and the time he has before anyone reaches him, so he takes a second to look for the gap above the goalies shoulder, and picks it.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I think he can get a lot more than that. 10+ goals and 40+ points a year pretty steadily the last few years and seems to be getting better.

Depends if the cap stays flat for a few years or not. He's also turning 33 in December, which means that he will be almost 34 when he starts his new contract. At that age, you normally don't cash in that much as GM's know he more than likely only has 2-3 very strong seasons left in him at that point.

If I was Bergevin, I would offer him the following:

2021-2022- 7.5 million
2022-2023- 6.5 million
2023-2024- 5.5 million
2024-2025- 4.5 million

Total of 24 million over 4 years (Cap hit of 6 million per year)

If he's still playing well at that point, give him 1 year contracts.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Depends if the cap stays flat for a few years or not. He's also turning 33 in December, which means that he will be almost 34 when he starts his new contract. At that age, you normally don't cash in that much as you know as GM's know he more than likely has only 2-3 very strong seasons left in him at that point.

If I was Bergevin, I would offer him the following:

2021-2022- 7.5 million
2022-2023- 6.5 million
2023-2024- 5.5 million
2024-2025- 4.5 million

Total of 24 million over 4 years (Cap hit of 6 million per year)

If he's still playing well at that point, give him 1 year contracts.

If he can't squeak out more term I think he can definitely squeak out more $ per. He's got a cap hit of 5.5 now and he's vastly improved. Though 5.5 MAY have been a bit steep. I'd be happy with getting him under 7. Would I pay 7 or more? That's where it gets tricky. I'm bad with cap talk.

I'd be over the moon if we can get him on a 6x4. I think that's really optimistic though.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
If he can't squeak out more term I think he can definitely squeak out more $ per. He's got a cap hit of 5.5 now and he's vastly improved. Though 5.5 MAY have been a bit steep. I'd be happy with getting him under 7. Would I pay 7 or more? That's where it gets tricky. I'm bad with cap talk.

I'd be over the moon if we can get him on a 6x4. I think that's really optimistic though.

I guess we shall see at that point. His age is really key for me though. If he was starting his next contract with us at the age of 31, I would say give him a 6 or 7 year deal as he'll still be good for most of that. Starting a contract at almost 34 really is not ideal for both term and salary.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

I think he may be able to squeeze out a little more money on the open market but he seems like a player who doesnt prioritize money when it comes to a contract. After all, he could have tested the market in 2015 which was a weak year for RD. As long as the Habs don't lowball him, I can see him resigning.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Petry-PressConference(20/08/20)

“I don't think there's anybody in our room that was ready to go home, it was something we addressed before the game... We proved that last night that we were going to fight and play our game until the end. We knew if we played our game, a solid game, we were going to live to fight another day. We've to have that same approach for the game tomorrow.”

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Well, good news is Petry is willing to talk contract with MB. Sounds like he's interested in staying.

I'm definitely open to resigning Petry. Guy is a fantastic skater and looks like he's easily got another 3-4 years in him.

He also said in his interview that Montreal needs a better and more consistent offense and more size.

Pretty much nailed it.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Well, good news is Petry is willing to talk contract with MB. Sounds like he's interested in staying.

I'm definitely open to resigning Petry. Guy is a fantastic skater and looks like he's easily got another 3-4 years in him.

He also said in his interview that Montreal needs a better and more consistent offense and more size.

Pretty much nailed it.

Yep we need to resign players of Petry caliber who really want to play here

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I don’t know why. But i think Petry is real when he is saying he wants to stay in Montreal. He could have said that he wants to be a top pair dman because he didnt want to be behind weber anymore. No he seems to accepte his role like 2nd best defensement on the second duo. He eats a lot of minutes. He doesnt have sign that his regression begin. I think he could be a sure bet for another 3/4 years. For 6 millions and i think he will agree. What is nice, this is not a big overpayment if we compare with his last contract

Reactions: angusyoung

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Him saying that Bergevin needs to pick up more scoring and size is refreshing, coming from a player. Pretty rare with this team. I like.

I couldn't find the interview where he said it but found this quote as per Richard Labbé:

TRANSLATION: Petry says that the Habs' defensive style needs an overhaul. "It's important to play well on defence but at the same time, you have to know how to generate offence."

Sure thing, Jeff. But so long as Julien is your head coach, it's not going to change.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Him saying that Bergevin needs to pick up more scoring and size is refreshing, coming from a player. Pretty rare with this team. I like.

I found the statement you're referring to:

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I couldn't find the interview where he said it but found this quote as per Richard Labbé:

TRANSLATION: Petry says that the Habs' defensive style needs an overhaul. "It's important to play well on defence but at the same time, you have to know how to generate offence."

Sure thing, Jeff. But so long as Julien is your head coach, it's not going to change.

Wow did Petry just realize that you need to score goals to win a game
damn

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad