Sportsnet: Jeff Marek: Holland looking to move 1st or top prospects for LD

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I don't think it's chychrun either like you believe because oilers love to overrate their prospects. holloway is good but acting like he's going to be some surefire star is quite an exaggeration too. caufield had much better numbers than him and look at him.
Holloway plays a very different game from Caufield and stats are bonus for him. Most Oilers fans have pegged Holloway to be 3C or 2LW long term which is all we really need him to be. We have Nurse, Broberg, Samourkov already and Keith is signed for another year at LD. if anything Oilers just need a rental.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
if Holloway had played the same number of games as Caufield, he was pacing for 47 points to Caufield's 52 - on the same team, playing a harder position, while a year younger. Holloway is a blue chipper, point blank.

there the same age and caufield is a much better goal scorer.
do you see caufield ripping the league up? no then why do you expect holloway too?

Again I'm not arguing he's not a blue chip prospect but just him and a late 1st is no where near enough for a young #1 d signed on a steal of a contract.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Ledge And Dairy

You’re bringing a whole bunch of stuff into this that I never even stated.

Also, going for Chychrun doesn’t actually mean he will get him. But I think it’s the type of target Holland is aiming for with those kinds of assets.
The problem is Broberg and Holloway both have to he offered for a Chychrun conversion to start, then add from there

Reactions: Heldig

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Realistically there's only a few teams I can see pulling the chute this early and trading a roster piece for picks and prospects

Arizona
Montreal
Vancouver
Ottawa
Seattle possibly
Buffalo possibly
*maybe* the Islanders, but they've also only played two games on home ice so far so I'd imagine they'd want some more reps before dealing core pieces

Of those teams, we're looking at guys like:

Chychrun (probably wildly expensive)
Chiarot
Nobody
Mete (not really a difference maker)
Soucy possibly
Butcher/Hagg I guess, but he's not 1st/top prospect caliber in any way
not really anyone moveable in NYI either
Ironically Giordano seems like one of the best fits for Edmonton

Although i have hopes hes traded to Calgary. Seeing him in Edmonton would be puke worthy.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
I never said he’s going to be a sure fire star or anything about Caulfield though.

If Holland offered 1st + Samorukov + Holloway I’m pretty sure that would get Arizona to listen.

lol samorukov is still getting overrated by you guys. I thought that was last years #1 overrated prospect. no way arz would entertain this.

every team has a b prospect like samorkov. he's not adding in much value at all.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The problem is Broberg and Holloway both have to he offered for a Chychrun conversion to start, then add from there
I don’t think these trades return as much as people expect, but from what Marek said that’s theoretically still a possible offer.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Chiarot makes a lot of sense. He's used to play in Canada too so maybe they can re-sign him. He was tremendous in the playoff last year. I'd like to see him one the Cup with the Oilers.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
lol samorukov is still getting overrated by you guys. I thought that was last years #1 overrated prospect. no way arz would entertain this.

every team has a b prospect like samorkov. he's not adding in much value at all.
I think you’re wrong.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
there the same age and caufield is a much better goal scorer.
do you see caufield ripping the league up? no then why do you expect holloway too?

Again I'm not arguing he's not a blue chip prospect but just him and a late 1st is no where near enough for a young #1 d signed on a steal of a contract.

Holloway is a more complete, versatile player with a more NHL style game in that he's effective all over the ice and has a defensive conscience as well. Caufield is one dimensional - it's a hell of a dimension, but he needs work on the rest of his game.

If Holloway hadn't broken his scaphoid from a slash he'd be in the NHL right now.

Nobody said that's all it would be, but acting like starting with Holloway and a first is somehow insulting is a really weird look.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
To Edmonton: OEL (5% retained)

To Vancity: 2022 1st, 2nd and cap dump

He's been good for the Canucks.

And Oilers tried to get OEL when OEL was on the market 2 years ago but OEL only wanted to go to either Boston or Vancouver

He's not waiving to live/play in Edmonton

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
I don’t think these trades return as much as people expect, but from what Marek said that’s theoretically still a possible offer.

arz has no incentive to trade chychrun so they would need a massive offer.

I know you'll quote some d who got traded for trash but I'd like to remind you that most of them were 1 year from ufa and older than chychrun.

I don't think there is a similar comp for a young #1d signed long term.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Giordano?

Actually that would be hilarious considering the amount of shade Oil fans have thrown on Gio over the years.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Ironically Giordano seems like one of the best fits for Edmonton

Although i have hopes hes traded to Calgary. Seeing him in Edmonton would be puke worthy.

after being named Seattle's captain I can't see them moving him, at least until the TDL. I think Holland wants to make something happen soon, particularly with Nurse injured.

Also I'd be joining you in puking.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
I think you’re wrong.
lol of course you will. you oiler fans love to overrate your prospects. No one other than oiler fans think he's more than a b prospect. He ripped up the ohl but what has he done in the ahl? absolutely nothing. 10 points in 50 games is pretty crap.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
arz has no incentive to trade chychrun so they would need a massive offer.

I know you'll quote some d who got traded for trash but I'd like to remind you that most of them were 1 year from ufa and older than chychrun.

I don't think there is a similar comp for a young #1d signed long term.
I mean Broberg + Holloway could be a deal based on what Marek said. It’s not like he specified which top prospects or how many.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
lol of course you will. you oiler fans love to overrate your prospects. No one other than oiler fans think he's more than a b prospect. He ripped up the ohl but what has he done in the ahl? absolutely nothing. 10 points in 50 games is pretty crap.
You said he adds no value. I think that’s wrong.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
after being named Seattle's captain I can't see them moving him, at least until the TDL. I think Holland wants to make something happen soon, particularly with Nurse injured.

Also I'd be joining you in puking.
Wait i missed that Nurse is injured. How long for? And yea i assumed it was at the TDL.

Off topic but i have high hopes hes traded to Calgary at the TDL.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Wait i missed that Nurse is injured. How long for? And yea i assumed it was at the TDL.

Off topic but i have high hopes hes traded to Calgary at the TDL.

He's got a busted finger. Hopefully not out too long - 2-3 weeks was the last report I saw. Already beat Chicago pretty convincingly without him.

Having diddly squat for cap space will make additions now tough unless some Russell/Turris salary is going back, and even then. Anything significant probably has to wait for TDL.

Reactions: flamesforcup

Ledge And Dairy

I dont think you understand 1) how good Chychrun is, and 2) how much of an overpay it would take for Arizona to consider moving him. Chychrun is right on the cusp of being a superstar young dman in thr league, right below McAvoy, Fox, and Makar. They've already written off this year and any call about him will not be effected by his results this season.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I dont think you understand 1) how good Chychrun is, and 2) how much of an overpay it would take for Arizona to consider moving him. Chychrun is right on the cusp of being a superstar young dman in thr league, right beloe McAvoy, Fox, and Makar. They've already written off this year and any call about him will not be effected by his results this season.
You don’t think Broberg + Holloway gets Arizona to listen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad