Sportsnet: Jeff Marek: Holland looking to move 1st or top prospects for LD

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
a late 1st+top prospect is not enough for chychrun. what the heck are oiler fans smoking

And yes I know he's having a bad season but he's still a young #1d on a steal of a contract. 19 games doesn't erase that

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Toughness, sandpaper, and defence in Bear? LOL

KH needs to wait and see what he has with Skinner and Broberg. If Skinner faulters then it'd best to use assets on a goaltender. If Broberg can step in then I could see him adding on 2RW or 3C

Yeah, I know right? Bear was a good D-man, tough in the traditional hard to play against bruising hitting type of Dman he is not. Larsson for sure.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
a late 1st+top prospect is not enough for chychrun. what the heck are oiler fans smoking

And yes I know he's having a bad season but he's still a young #1d on a steal of a contract. 19 games doesn't erase that

We're thinking that it's way too much for the likes of Ben Chiarot so we're throwing names out that could possibly be available. Arizona is on pace to be the worst team in the history of the league, so they're a good place to look

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
We're thinking that it's way too much for the likes of Ben Chiarot so we're throwing names out that could possibly be available. Arizona is on pace to be the worst team in the history of the league, so they're a good place to look

totally get that but at least be realistic. any team could beat that offer for chychrun.

hell savard got a first last year as a rental and the difference between the 2 of them is much more than a top prospect.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
No, he's offering a 1st OR a top prospect. Chiarot should be able to land a late 1st or a similar value prospect.
The first paragraph in the OP says “and”.

Although I don’t think we should get too hung up on the exact wording. Holland is offering valuable assets and he’s stated multiple times he would not offer the first or top prospects for a rental. I don’t think Chiarot is the main target.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
totally get that but at least be realistic. any team could beat that offer for chychrun.

hell savard got a first last year as a rental and the difference between the 2 of them is much more than a top prospect.

Tampa thought Savard was a missing link to repeat for a Cup. They were right, as they usually are, and don't mind overpaying to get their guy.

Not a lot of teams have a Dylan Holloway to offer up. Personally I don't think we should be offering him at all, dude's going to be a force in this league.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
No, he's offering a 1st OR a top prospect. Chiarot should be able to land a late 1st or a similar value prospect.
giving up the 1st for someone like Chiarot would be underwhelming to say the least. 2nd + Lavoie is the most Holland should give up for a rental like Chiarot. Hopefully Nurse is healthy again and we stick to Nurse\Keith\Broberg for the next couple years.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Giordano 50% retained + Jankrok 50% retained for 2022 1st + 2023 3rd + Turris cap purposes?

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Maybe try and swing big to get Lindholm out of Anaheim.

It’s going to be very expensive to rent Lindholm from Anaheim.

The Ducks also likely are trying to extend him. They are off to a good start and Lindholm is mentoring Drysdale (paired with him and Drysdale is living in his house). I don’t think they want to mess with that.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017

Although I don’t think we should get too hung up on the exact wording. Holland is offering valuable assets and he’s stated multiple times he would not offer the first or top prospects for a rental. I don’t think Chiarot is the main target.

I don't think it's chychrun either like you believe because oilers love to overrate their prospects. holloway is good but acting like he's going to be some surefire star is quite an exaggeration too. caufield had much better numbers than him and look at him.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
To Edmonton: OEL (5% retained)

To Vancity: 2022 1st, 2nd and cap dump

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
Tampa thought Savard was a missing link to repeat for a Cup. They were right, as they usually are, and don't mind overpaying to get their guy.

Not a lot of teams have a Dylan Holloway to offer up. Personally I don't think we should be offering him at all, dude's going to be a force in this league.

quite an overrating but expected.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Realistically there's only a few teams I can see pulling the chute this early and trading a roster piece for picks and prospects

Arizona
Montreal
Vancouver
Ottawa
Seattle possibly
Buffalo possibly
*maybe* the Islanders, but they've also only played two games on home ice so far so I'd imagine they'd want some more reps before dealing core pieces

Of those teams, we're looking at guys like:

Chychrun (probably wildly expensive)
Chiarot
Nobody
Mete (not really a difference maker)
Soucy possibly
Butcher/Hagg I guess, but he's not 1st/top prospect caliber in any way
not really anyone moveable in NYI either

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don't think it's chychrun either like you believe because oilers love to overrate their prospects. holloway is good but acting like he's going to be some surefire star is quite an exaggeration too. caufield had much better numbers than him and look at him.
You’re bringing a whole bunch of stuff into this that I never even stated.

Also, going for Chychrun doesn’t actually mean he will get him. But I think it’s the type of target Holland is aiming for with those kinds of assets.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
You’re bringing a whole bunch of stuff into this that I never even stated.

Also, going for Chychrun doesn’t actually mean he will get him. But I think it’s the type of target Holland is aiming for with those kinds of assets.

you said holland is offering top prospects and a 1st and then mention chychrun multiple times.

So what does that mean? That you think a 1st + top prospect is enough for him.

My point is it's not because holloway who is the oilers top prospect and while he is good is definitely getting overrated by you if you think holloway+1st is enough.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Realistically there's only a few teams I can see pulling the chute this early and trading a roster piece for picks and prospects

Arizona
Montreal
Vancouver
Ottawa
Seattle possibly
Buffalo possibly
*maybe* the Islanders, but they've also only played two games on home ice so far so I'd imagine they'd want some more reps before dealing core pieces

Of those teams, we're looking at guys like:

Chychrun (probably wildly expensive)
Chiarot
Nobody
Mete (not really a difference maker)
Soucy possibly
Butcher/Hagg I guess, but he's not 1st/top prospect caliber in any way
not really anyone moveable in NYI either
That’s why Chychrun comes to mind right away. He fits the profile of a guy who might be available already this early into the season and who is actually worth multiple top assets. Hard to find another defenseman who fits those parameters.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
you said holland is offering top prospects and a 1st and then mention chychrun multiple times.

So what does that mean? That you think a 1st + top prospect is enough for him.
I never said he’s going to be a sure fire star or anything about Caulfield though.

If Holland offered 1st + Samorukov + Holloway I’m pretty sure that would get Arizona to listen.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Sweet! Let's get some real trades going!

Teams don't go all-in often enough. It's fun for fans to see a team make a big splash and try and win. I'm not even an Oilers fan, and I want to see them try and make some noise in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad