Waived: Jeff Halpern (Claimed by Montreal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Great chemistry? They were ****ing awful. No offensive threat at all. Not one goal. I'm not asking for a lot from our 4th line, but jesus christ, they aren't even a threat. They are wastes of roster spots. Good Riddance to him.

They fed off of each other and created chances and pressure, even if they didn't score. They were brought in for that, not their scoring.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
That, IMO is unbelievable. Gilroy and Bickel are worse players than Halpern.

yea they are worse but they would also then clear waivers so with that if they want to move a contract out Halpern makes sense

I think he will get picked up and then we see what the next move is

its going to be either signing Zuccarello or a trade

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
This only makes sense IF they want Miller to play center every night or they have a deal in place to bring one in. I'm fine with Boyle being the teams 4th line center, but waiving Halpern seems like a bad move considering Asham and Powe have been equally as inconsequential in terms of the teams offense. At least Halpern PK's. What do Pyatt and Asham do?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
He has been fine defensively. This makes little sense unless they're trying to open contracts.

A center is coming in?

Don't make sense for me otherwise. I think he has been what is expected if not more.

This only makes sense IF they want Miller to play center every night or they have a deal in place to bring one in. I'm fine with Boyle being the teams 4th line center, but waiving Halpern seems like a bad move considering Asham and Powe have been equally as inconsequential in terms of the teams offense. At least Halpern PK's. What do Pyatt and Asham do?

Could be an explanation, but I don't know. If you want to play JT Miller as the 3rd line center and Boyle as the 4th line center, why not try it for like one game, then waive Halpern...

Don't make sense to me.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think Halpern could play defense better than Bickel plays forward...

Hey, I said they like it.. never said I did. :p:

Miller and Powe can play center. So they don't really need to add a center, but with Miller not looking great in the middle, and Powe not being optimal, it does seem odd unless a move is coming.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Or Collins and Pyett for that matter.

The list goes on. Why trade Rupp for Powe AND Palmieri? Why not Powe + late pick?

Again, just doesn't make sense unless they are trying to open a spot for someone and if they are not, this is a ridiculously stupid move.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Pyatt scores a lot more than Halpern does. With Stepan's emergence as a PKer, I think that's worth more than another PKer.

Asham brings jam, balls, and every other cliche that Torts values.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
A center is coming in?

Don't make sense for me otherwise. I think he has been what is expected if not more.

This is the only way it makes sense to me as well. To me Halpern has actually OVERACHIEVED here in NY so far. Offensively he has been buzzing. No goals but that's fine. He serves his role. His skating has been impressive.

16 To Stanley*

They fed off of each other and created chances and pressure, even if they didn't score. They were brought in for that, not their scoring.

Lol, they were awful. They're exactly what's wrong with this team. They have absolutely NO grit and can't produce any offense. Anyone can kill penalties. If we take a hit in penalty killing go for it. We still have Callahan and Boyle. We need guys who can add elements to this team. Halpern has speed, so what. he can't do **** other than take faceoffs and kill penalties. He provides no offense and no grit. Same goes for Powe. They feel like Petr Prucha without any sort of scoring touch.

Complete trash for the bottom lines. Good riddance.

The Beezer

Jan 24, 2010
Jersey
I thought the guy busted his tail every time he was on the ice. I just wished that he was afforded the opportunity/ice time that a guy like Boyle consistantly gets (even Pyatt for that matter, although it's a different position). He certainly couldn't be worse then some of the guys who are getting consistant ice time.

Is it possible that Halpern himself asked for the release and the Rangers did him a favor by releasing a vet player to hopefully latch on somewhere else?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Pyatt scores a lot more than Halpern does. With Stepan's emergence as a PKer, I think that's worth more than another PKer.

Asham brings jam, balls, and every other cliche that Torts values.

With Stepan playing 20+ minutes a night, wouldn't it make sense to alleviate some pressure from his nightly assignments?

Haley > Asham

Halpern > Powe > Asham

Halpern > Powe > Asham > Gilroy

Halpern > Powe > Asham > Gilroy > Bickel

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
move means a deal is coming for sure. Sounds to me like a 2 for one and a contract spot is needed. he has played well and for sure better then boyle but for Boyle to be delt maybe out west for 2 contracts and Zucc to return

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
With Stepan playing 20+ minutes a night, wouldn't it make sense to alleviate some pressure from his nightly assignments?

Haley > Asham

Halpern > Powe > Asham

Halpern > Powe > Asham > Gilroy

Halpern > Powe > Asham > Gilroy > Bickel

I think Powe is better than Halpern. Even though Powe hasn't scored, the guy has quietly been very good. Always hustles and always finishes checks

16 To Stanley*

Good riddance? You were one of the greatest Boyle apologists. You should love his skill set and priorities on the ice. News flash; he's better than Boyle.

Boyle is better than Halpern. I still propose that Boyle is the 4th line center for this team, both now and in the future. It's not his fault that Torts over plays him. He's much better than Halpern.

Halpern's speed makes people like him, other than that, he brings nothing. We have guys who can take faceoffs. We have guys who can penalty kill. We need guys with grit and we need guys with a little scoring ability (ANY????) on those bottom lines.

The Perfect Paradox

Beyond Good and Evil
Aug 16, 2007
New York
What? I just don't get this at all. Halpern has been one of our best defensive forwards. Mind boggling that Bickel, Boyle and Asham took precedent over Halpern. Un****ing believable.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Well, I still don't get, but considering this team has far worse problems than waiving Halpern, I might just as well let it go. Let's see how this turns out.

Bardof425*

His skating was a big topic of conversation among you and others who overrate him terribly.

funny coming from the person who overrates Boyle more than thought possible. Saying he's better than Boyle is not overrating him; it's realism.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
Boyle is better than Halpern. I still propose that Boyle is the 4th line center for this team, both now and in the future. It's not his fault that Torts over plays him. He's much better than Halpern.

Halpern's speed makes people like him, other than that, he brings nothing. We have guys who can take faceoffs. We have guys who can penalty kill. We need guys with grit and we need guys with a little scoring ability (ANY????) on those bottom lines.

Are you saying Boyle has grit and scoring ability ?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
This thread is starting to make me laugh. Now we are romanticizing Jeff Halpern?

Hes part of the issue with the bottom 6, which is a group that is just kind of there and doesnt do anything particularly well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad