Waived: Jeff Halpern (Claimed by Montreal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punxrocknyc19*

Having a 40+ goal scorer isn't all it's cracked up to be. None of the last 4 stanley cup winners had one. The three winners before that did, but scoring was a lot higher coming out of the lockout.

IMO, balanced scoring is more important than having one guy who can score a lot. That's not to say I don't want someone who can score 40, but as a 40 goal scorer, Gaborik leaves a lot to be desired. I'd rather have 30 goals from someone who is more consistent and adds in other ways when he isn't scoring. Of course, finding that guy is just as hard.

With the waiving of Halpern, something must be up. Maybe it's just making room on the roster for Fasth, I don't know. Sather always has something up his sleeve.

i wish the NYR had a player like Lucic, Backes, Doan, guys even when they dont score they are still noticeable...

*Bob Richards*

The injury thread has been updated regarding Miller. Take that discussion either there or the J.T. Miller thread.

*Bob Richards*

Lucic is one of the most unique players in the league. He has a lot of scoring talent and can be a complete goon, not to mention his massive size.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Callahan is also a very unique player. Doesn't have superstar skill but can still turn the flow of a game around by himself. I think he's becoming underappreciated around here. On pace for 27 goals and a staggering 309 hits over a full season. Talk about unique, the only other player in the league that consistently puts up even remotely similar numbers is Alex Ovechkin.

*Bob Richards*

We play them next week. Now that everyone mentioned how Halpern has no goals....

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
Lucic is one of the most unique players in the league. He has a lot of scoring talent and can be a complete goon, not to mention his massive size.

Agreed. I was referring to the comment of wishing the rangers had a player that was visible on more than just the score sheet.

aside from dropping the gloves, which I don't believe has as much impact on a game as popular convention holds, Callahan is visible on as many of his shifts per game as a guy like Backes, Doan, or Lucic.

As far as tools go imho, I'd take a power forward with the elite skill level of Nash over a guy with the duality of fighting that Lucic brings.

And for two-way forwards: I'd take the duality of good offense and top flight PKer, who should be on the ice in every big situation, over the duality of a guy with good offense and hits a notch or two harder, plus drops the gloves.

Don't get me wrong though, I love Lucic's game. But I like Cally's more. And Backes' for that matter.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Torts System is the MAIN PROBLEM with this team......no doubt

Gaborik though is another big one......this guy needs to be gone as well. He's no longer a "40 goal scorer" imo.

The problem is personnel. Nash was a great addition but the replacements for Anisimov, Dubinsky, Fedetenko, Prust have not been up to the job.

3rd-4th line scoring:

Pyatt 30gp 4g 2a 6pts 4pm
Miller 22gp 2g 2a 4pts 8pm
Boyle 26gp 1g 1a 2pts 19pm
Asham 12gp 1g 0a 1pt 17pm
Halpern 30gp 0g 1a 1pt 8pm
Powe 19gp 0g 0a 0pts 8pm
Kreider 12gp 1g 1a 2pts 6pm
Haley 9gp 0g 0a 0pts 12pm

That's 160 games played between all the above--9 goals 7 assists 16 points and 82 penalty minutes. That's the production of our bottom two lines.

Two of the above--Kreider, Miller are raw rookies and might be better off playing in the AHL right now.

5 of the above provide almost no penalty killing (keeping in mind that Anisimov, Dubinsky, Fedetenko and Prust all were regulars at that)--Pyatt, Miller, Asham, Kreider, Haley-no.

And then Pyatt is soft, Halpern is old and Powe has 0 pts.

Of the whole bunch only Asham and Haley provide any toughness at all and due to injury Asham has only played 12 out of 30 games and Haley was a call up for 9.

To summarize--bottom two lines--no offensive production, not a lot of penalty killing, very little grit = Rangers are running on fumes.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
My exact feeling....

29 teams could have had him for free, and we know for sure that 25 of them didn't want him. Montreal did, but that doesn't mean they would have been willing to give up a pick for him.

The fact that they didn't get a pick for him doesn't mean that they didn't try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad