Waived: Jeff Halpern (Claimed by Montreal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Are you ****ing kidding me?

What do you mean? We figured they waived him because they wanted to clear the contract. And while it would've been nicer to trade him and get a pick in return, the fact that it was Montreal, sitting in one of the last spots in priority, that claimed him means that there was not enough interest to garner anything in exchange.

Unless you thought they were legitimately trying to hang on to his rights and send him down to the minors, what's there to complain about?

Clowes Line

Cally's Chicken Parm
Aug 11, 2010
New Yawk
www.outsidethegarden.com
What do you mean? We figured they waived him because they wanted to clear the contract. And while it would've been nicer to trade him and get a pick in return, the fact that it was Montreal, sitting in one of the last spots in priority, that claimed him means that there was not enough interest to garner anything in exchange.

Unless you thought they were legitimately trying to hang on to his rights and send him down to the minors, what's there to complain about?

I'm complaining because I saw no reason for him to be waived. I really liked him. While he has no goals, he's been great on the 4th line and the penalty kill, no one can argue that. He was also the only ****ing player on this team who could win a face-off :laugh:

It's not the end of the world, but jeez this team needs to turn it around. Our bottom six is now even more putrid than it was to begin with. Not good.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'm complaining because I saw no reason for him to be waived. I really liked him. While he has no goals, he's been great on the 4th line and the penalty kill, no one can argue that. He was also the only ****ing player on this team who could win a face-off :laugh:

It's not the end of the world, but jeez this team needs to turn it around. Our bottom six is now even more putrid than it was to begin with. Not good.

Great? Hardly. He's been adequate.

Also, being good on faceoffs is only a great asset if you're going to be used on important draws. Halpern wasn't being utilized that way.

I was fine with him playing on the 4th line. No big deal. But I'm not going to miss him terribly either.

Clowes Line

Cally's Chicken Parm
Aug 11, 2010
New Yawk
www.outsidethegarden.com
Great? Hardly. He's been adequate.

Also, being good on faceoffs is only a great asset if you're going to be used on important draws. Halpern wasn't being utilized that way.

I was fine with him playing on the 4th line. No big deal. But I'm not going to miss him terribly either.

All I know is this team just got worse, because they have no one ready to replace Halpern. And now Miller is hurt. Unless a deal with MZA is in place, and they plan on bringing over Fasth and/or Lindberg. Who knows.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
All I know is this team just got worse, because they have no one ready to replace Halpern. And now Miller is hurt. Unless a deal with MZA is in place, and they plan on bringing over Fasth and/or Lindberg. Who knows.

Jumping the gun on Miller, but maybe. I don't see Newbury as being a huge downgrade.

Pugs35

Jul 11, 2006
PA
I'm not going to get real worked up about this, but I liked him this year. I mean really, he has one less goal than Boyle, is about as good defensively and on the PK, and I think he's better on faceoffs.

The Perfect Paradox

Beyond Good and Evil
Aug 16, 2007
New York
I'm still scratching my head over this move. Not having him on the roster isn't going to make a huge difference, but he always did the little things right. It sucks that a player like that has to get waived and feel inadequate.

Best of luck to Halpern in Montreal, though.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Really don't understand this, frankly.

Maybe there were personal issues?

This is what it boils down to.

It's not a HUGE loss, and the people trying to defend the move as if we're treating it like it's some big deal are out to lunch.

But it makes no sense. None at all. There was no reason to waive this dude and lose him, to a team better than us.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I would have waived many people BEFORE Halpern, for the simple fact that Halpern is a veteran, wins faceoffs, is on a cheap, expiring contract and has been pretty serviceable in his role, for his price. Most of all, center depth is useful.

We waived Bickel 24 hours later. Why not waive Bickel FIRST? Bickel is a lot less useful than Halpern. Why not waive Asham? Sure, he could be useful, but he also hasn't played at all this year, really, so it wouldn't be a loss. Why not waive Hamrlik again? Torts doesn't seem to love him and we have Eminger and Gilroy who are equally marginal. I just don't get why we would waive a faceoff winning guy who PKs well FIRST, unless it was a personal issue or a bad fit in the room.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Does this complete the McDonagh trade? :laugh:

Nah, but seriously.. read all the posts here.. glad to hear we are getting a solid contributor in MTL. We have no one that can win faceoffs, so Halpern is going to be a huge plus in that regard.

NYR Sting

Heart and Soul
Jul 4, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Does this complete the McDonagh trade? :laugh:

Nah, but seriously.. read all the posts here.. glad to hear we are getting a solid contributor in MTL. We have no one that can win faceoffs, so Halpern is going to be a huge plus in that regard.

Terrific. That's exactly what the Rangers should be looking to do: shore up weaknesses for potential playoff opponents, and allow those teams do so for free. :sarcasm:

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Terrific. That's exactly what the Rangers should be looking to do: shore up weaknesses for potential playoff opponents, and allow those teams do so for free. :sarcasm:

Maybe part of the unreported details of the Nash deal was that we'd promise to try and get CBJ the best pick we possibly could? :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille