Waived: Jeff Halpern (Claimed by Montreal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

I think we're about to move 1 player for 2 players... Goodbye Gaborik???

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Meh, those are all secondary guys. If you put Biron or another average goalie instead of Lundqvist this year, the team is probably a lock for 29th or 30th. The team's backbone has always been Henrik ever since he entered the league. That probably won't ever change.

Biron is not average. He's far below average. He's an average back up, yes, but he's not a starter.

This whole "without Lundqvist the Rangers would be a lotto team" is ridiculous. 5 years ago that may have been true, but not now. This team is more or less the same with any top 10 goaltender. We're just really well off beacuse we have a top 3.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Laughable. Miller had one game and has outscored Halpern all season.

The kid's not ready. He had one great offensive game against the Islanders. I see why Torts likes the kid, but playing 1st line in Hartford is a lot more beneficial to his development than 3rd line minutes with grinders that can't score than the gong show that the big club is at the moment

Kershaw

hes so bad.. why dont we trade him..

come on man no way, what game are you watching?

hes a raw talent and has potential.. plays well defensively had created nice chances last game.. why is everyone always so negative.. please pick another sport/team to watch..

Plays well defensively, I lol'd. So many boneheaded giveaways, IMO the most on this team besides Girardi. He's a rookie so he gets a pass apparently. He's been absolutely brutal this year. Does not look NHL ready yet.

I'm sorry for having high standards for this team.

Kershaw

how is that a bad thing?

goalies win champsionships.. look at every team that won.. theyre goalie was amazing, and stood on their head when they were needed most.. most are venzia winners.. your comments are irrational and should be at a minimum bc you have no idea what your saying or talking about.. Nash, callahan.. secondary scoring/guys.. thats a slap in the face and saying bickel is a stud top 4dman.. both are insulting.

Lundqvist is the only star player that's stayed here. Jagr, Nylander, Straka, Gomez, Drury, Roszival, Redden all high paid guys that left. Richards, Gaborik next and probably Nash in 2-4 yrs. This team is pretty much reminiscent to the Hasek Sabres era where the team around him was pretty mediocre, but Hasek kept the team relevant with a few years as outliers. Hasek didn't win with Buffalo.

Lundqvist will always be #1 here, only one to beat him was Jagr in his rookie year in terms of importance to team.

pick a different team and sport to to watch/talk about.. you havent got a clue..

No thanks. I will continue to support this team, even if they miraculously give up the #1 pick to Columbus or say Lundqvist in a trade.

3rdlineglory

Korsi Kevin
Dec 1, 2012
Mahopac, NY
Lundqvist is the only star player that's stayed here. Jagr, Nylander, Straka, Gomez, Drury, Roszival, Redden all high paid guys that left. Richards, Gaborik next and probably Nash in 2-4 yrs. This team is pretty much reminiscent to the Hasek Sabres era where the team around him was pretty mediocre, but Hasek kept the team relevant with a few years as outliers. Hasek didn't win with Buffalo.

Lundqvist will always be #1 here, only one to beat him was Jagr in his rookie year in terms of importance to team.

No thanks. I will continue to support this team, even if they miraculously give up the #1 pick to Columbus or say Lundqvist in a trade.

This team is way better than the Hasek Sabres. That comparison would have been more appropriate a few years ago.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I think we're about to move 1 player for 2 players... Goodbye Gaborik???

Man...if they traded Gaborik, and got a skilled, young centerman in return, I would be ecstatic. Or for a big, nasty winger with skill.

Otherwise, I'd be be pretty down on the trade.

But we're getting a little off-topic here.

Kershaw

Biron is not average. He's far below average. He's an average back up, yes, but he's not a starter.

This whole "without Lundqvist the Rangers would be a lotto team" is ridiculous. 5 years ago that may have been true, but not now. This team is more or less the same with any top 10 goaltender. We're just really well off beacuse we have a top 3.

Disagree. I feel Biron has had a very underrated career. He's been stuck behind Miller before, but was always considered a high end backup with starter capabilities, hence the Flyers giving up a high 2nd rounder during their tank year to acquire his services. He used to be the Sabres #1 guy pre-lockout and was a very adequate starting goalie, I guess similar to what Craig Anderson was/is.

With the Flyers he led them to 95+ pt teams with above average sv. percentage and GAA. For two seasons, he was the starting goalie, an above average one on a pretty competitive team.

Things went downhill when he went to Long Island, but he's obviously found a nice niche with the Rangers as a great backup for Henrik, despite the five hole jokes.

To me, I prefer Biron over Bryzgalov and Fleury.

BTW this isn't anywhere close to the same team, the entire bottom 6 is revamped.

Sky Valley

Mar 8, 2007
NBNJ
Halpern is Brian Boyle minus the, uh, offense. Don't see this as a precursor to an imminent move so much as an attempt to slot Boyle down to the 4th line and attempt to turn the 3rd unit into something vaguely resembling a scoring threat.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Halpern is Brian Boyle minus the, uh, offense. Don't see this as a precursor to an imminent move so much as an attempt to slot Boyle down to the 4th line and attempt to turn the 3rd unit into something vaguely resembling a scoring threat.

Well, jeez... that sounds good too.

Just not sure why they picked the most cost-effective and least burdensome (in terms of current and future contract commitments) of the Boyle/Pyatt/Powe/Asham/Halpern/Bickel/Haley group to sacrifice if that's all this is about. Doesn't make much sense if there's no larger context.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Surprised. Maybe there's a trade in works.

I think Halpern was useful but at the same time the team is in the dumps and they are not going to move anyone in the top 6 unless they get the perfect Gaborik deal

so with that this is the start of the reshaping the bottom 6.......Kreider is up......Miller can be 3rd line C for now with Boyle 4th line C........Boyle is a goner sooner or later too

Halpern is a useful vet and cheap so he should get picked up and that gives them another contract to work with. Maybe they sing Zuccarello?

For now Asham can slide in and the 4th line can be him Boyle, Powe.

The plan is obviously to add other bodies even if its as simple as a 3rd for a guy soon

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Well, at least something is happening. At this point, I'd rather see Bickel come back in than to see nothing happen at all. Kreider up, Halpern waived... hmmmm! Interesting to see what happens at the deadline.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Disagree. I feel Biron has had a very underrated career. He's been stuck behind Miller before, but was always considered a high end backup with starter capabilities, hence the Flyers giving up a high 2nd rounder during their tank year to acquire his services. He used to be the Sabres #1 guy pre-lockout and was a very adequate starting goalie, I guess similar to what Craig Anderson was/is.

i think biron's...style...is more suited to starting. he seems to need a little time to warm up. so playing a number of games consecutively seems better for him. a good backup only plays once a week or fortnight and needs to heat-up quicker. that said, i like biron and think he's solid. even in this less-than-ideal-for-his-game situation.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Fasth will be here next week.

just a hunch?

I read they think he can jump right in but really? I mean I would love it but part of the problem this yr in my opinion is that they are in need of prospects like Miller, Kreider doing well. Fast would add to that list but I would sure love him to come in and spark the team

btw what about Lindberg? He is the guy I was thinking may take that 4th line or even 3rd line spot next yr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad