Confirmed with Link: Jeff Carter Traded to Pittsburgh / Jeff Carter Appreciation Thread

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
He could bounce back playing for something again. I doubt he plays next year in Pittsburgh though. Going for a few months is one thing, going for a whole year for barely above league minimum is another. I expect we will be on the hook for his recapture penalty.

will be on the hook for the 50% as is anyway. It's not that much more.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Now that I've had some time to think about it. I'm surprised the Kings couldn't get a second rounder only with 50% retained.

I think you'd be out of your mind to think Carter doesn't do better in Pittsburgh.

He will do a sizeable amount better there for two reasons.
1. He's shown flashes this season of speed and still being very good, just very rarely he'd display it.
2. He has a reason to play so he will display it much more often on the Pens.

Carter might be a bit of a baby, but he's gonna produce. It will take a Flutie sized miracle for him to flounder on the Pens.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Oh, Jeff.

Really happy you partied your way out of Philly then sulked and pissed off everyone in Columbus enough to let DL fleece the Jackets into trading you for Jack Johnson and a 1st and find glory in LA.

All jokes aside, very grateful for his role in bringing 2 cups to the Kings.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaKingsJQUICK

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
So the Kings get 2 picks any which way. That's pretty solid.

In terms of value, the further a pick is from the current year, the less value it has. You'd rather get a 1st in 2021 than a 1st in 2023.

The picks will be assets, just not soon. If they traded the 4th in 2023 at the draft this year, they wouldn't get a good player for it. If it's a 4th in 2023, and they keep it, that player, most likely, wouldn't make the team until like 2027 or something.

Two picks are two picks for a 36/37 year old. Value, but not really value. Makes sense.
Yes, time value of picks matters. However, the Kings still have a ton of picks and will have to start doing something about the coming pile up. Spreading picks out a bit will actually help in the long run because once the team starts winning picks begin to dry up. Finding new talent deeper into a run can really help sustain momentum.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
He could bounce back playing for something again. I doubt he plays next year in Pittsburgh though. Going for a few months is one thing, going for a whole year for barely above league minimum is another. I expect we will be on the hook for his recapture penalty.

Not likely, Hexy said Carter would be theirs for at least the next year and then some. I'm sure that is something they talked about.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

Not likely, Hexy said Carter would be theirs for at least the next year and then some. I'm sure that is something they talked about.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Still hoping to meet Jeff in person someday in a non-game situation and get my 2012 authentic home jersey signed by him. Loved his time playing here, especially 2015 when he stepped up while Kopitar was down for the count.

HowDareYou

Oct 20, 2016
Looking through google photos and noticed Mike Richards Kings photos along with Carter where Mike was wearing the A

How long did Richards have an A for? I don't remember anyone wearing through that era other than Kopitar, Greene, Doughty(?) Crazy how many guys could've been Captains on that squad

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Looking through google photos and noticed Mike Richards Kings photos along with Carter where Mike was wearing the A

How long did Richards have an A for? I don't remember anyone wearing through that era other than Kopitar, Greene, Doughty(?) Crazy how many guys could've been Captains on that squad
Doughty didn’t get an A until Richards left.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

I think Richards wore the A when one of the guys was injured. Matt Greene missed a lot of game in the 2013 and 2014 season so that's probably when Richards started to wear it.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

Doughty didn’t get an A until Richards left.

I think Richards wore the A when one of the guys was injured. Matt Greene missed a lot of game in the 2013 and 2014 season so that's probably when Richards started to wear it.

Elite Prospects - Team Captains of Los Angeles Kings

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Yes, time value of picks matters. However, the Kings still have a ton of picks and will have to start doing something about the coming pile up. Spreading picks out a bit will actually help in the long run because once the team starts winning picks begin to dry up. Finding new talent deeper into a run can really help sustain momentum.

I would think Blake didn't have much choice in the matter. It was picks years in advance, or nothing. I doubt Blake, or any GM, is sitting at the desk saying, yeah, we need to strategically target an unknown and conditional 4th rd pick 2 years from now. It's a 36 year old Carter with another year left. I'm just saying, that's Carter's value, even at 50% retension.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I would think Blake didn't have much choice in the matter. It was picks years in advance, or nothing. I doubt Blake, or any GM, is sitting at the desk saying, yeah, we need to strategically target an unknown and conditional 4th rd pick 2 years from now. It's a 36 year old Carter with another year left. I'm just saying, that's Carter's value, even at 50% retension.
Never said he did.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Pretty sure Blake stated he did consider this when making trades last season so there isn't a logjam of players of the same age and contract status.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad