Confirmed with Link: Jeff Carter Traded to Pittsburgh / Jeff Carter Appreciation Thread

LaKingsJQUICK

Apr 14, 2021
Oh, Jeff.

Really happy you partied your way out of Philly then sulked and pissed off everyone in Columbus enough to let DL fleece the Jackets into trading him for Jack Johnson and a 1st and find glory in LA.

All jokes aside, very grateful for his role in bringing 2 cups to the Kings.

As am I.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Not likely, Hexy said Carter would be theirs for at least the next year and then some. I'm sure that is something they talked about.

Was It Hextall that 'convinced' Lecavalier to retire a year early on his deal and accept a trade? I honestly cant remember, but it came across a bit bush leagueish.

If so I hope that he is being legit with his comments re carts playing next year.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Yup don't think it's a big deal, just thinking it's likely.

hextall said they have Carter for over a year of play. Sounds like the intent right now is for Carter to play. If he does retire the Penquins actually get a bit of salary cap credit on the recapture calculation.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Was It Hextall that 'convinced' Lecavalier to retire a year early on his deal and accept a trade? I honestly cant remember, but it came across a bit bush leagueish.

If so I hope that he is being legit with his comments re carts playing next year.
I don't think anyone forced his arm. Seemed mutual to me.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Lecavalier was 36 when he retired. Still had 2 years left, but also got all that buyout money from TB.

He wasn't playing for the Flyers, and the Kings couldn't take him on if he wanted to keep playing beyond 2016. I'm sure the Flyers, Kings, and Lecavalier reached the conclusion together. Lecavalier was ok here, especially on the PP, but he was on his last legs.

Without the buyout money though, I doubt Lecavalier retires that year. That was a pretty specific circumstance.

ricardfromage

"You wanted the Germs, you get em"
Mar 5, 2020
paradise

Soooooooo, a third round pick then?

I still like it. Carts has been great for us and I wish him the best but since he isn't likely to be here for any upcoming cup runs and he holds a valuable piece of real estate on the roster he certainly was expendable. Not to mention that we shift more than a couple of million monies with him, what's not to like. I don't see the Pens having a legit shot at making it to the finals but I would be very happy to be wrong on this.

He will always be a King to me but all the best JC.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Interesting how Carter turned down going to both Philly and Phoenix, he didn't have a NTC so he basically said he was going to retire rather than go there. A lot of people on here insisted that wasn't the case and made a point to always insist that to anyone who brought it up, now it looks like it was. Carter basically had a pseudo NTC.

We need to take stuff players say with a grain of salt.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Interesting how Carter turned down going to both Philly and Phoenix, he didn't have a NTC so he basically said he was going to retire rather than go there. A lot of people on here insisted that wasn't the case and made a point to always insist that to anyone who brought it up, now it looks like it was. Carter basically had a pseudo NTC.

We need to take stuff players say with a grain of salt.

That's one interpretation.

Another would be that Rob Blake has said repeatedly that he believes the players that helped win the Cup deserve to have their wishes respected when it came to trading them. He said that in the past Carter wasn't interested in moving on.

Blake also said that part of the reason he traded Kuemper to Arizona was out of respect to the work he had given the Kings. The Kings knew they wouldn't retain him that offseason so they traded him to a team that would give him an opportunity to earn a spot and a contract even tho it was in the division and the returns probably didn't match his value.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle but as always...

trust what people do over what they say.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
This thing about Blake asking Carter where he'd like to go just seems like Blake trying to do the guy a solid after everything he has done for the team. Trade clause or not. Since it appears that multiple teams were interested he decided to give Carter his options if he wanted to leave. His contract wasn't hurting us cap wise or salary wise so I think Blake would've been fine to keeping him, but again gives Carter a chance at another cup.

This thing about Carter threatening to retire sounds like an agent trying to protect his client imo

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Why would Carter be interested in Philly? The fans were terrible to him for valid reasons and invalid reasons. Bad atmosphere to go back to. Pens are a better team, no history. Easy choice.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Lol, Blake respects the vets so much that he had to deeply search his soul before begging Carter for the trade. Management must think all fans are rubes with short memories. The Kings were only able to get rid of Carter is because his contract was no longer toxic. Blake had to battle his former co worker deep into Sunday night to extract a return that mildy exceeds PTBNL.

Blake’s Coach flogged Carter’s carcass relentlessly to squeeze passable production out of the player. There’s a reason he played 15+ minutes a night when he deserved 10. And it has nothing to do with respect.

Fans can only trust management when their actions match their words. Anything else is delusional if you’re a paying customer.

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone
Imagine telling 2010 Kings fans that within the next several years we would have the following players on the Kings at one point or another:

Lecavalier
Gaborik
Kovalchuk
Phaneuf
Iginla
Richards
Carter
And Smyth, Penner, Ponikarovsky (he had decent numbers Before joining the Kings), Regehr, Mitchell, Gagne

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Lol, Blake respects the vets so much that he had to deeply search his soul before begging Carter for the trade. Management must think all fans are rubes with short memories. The Kings were only able to get rid of Carter is because his contract was no longer toxic. Blake had to battle his former co worker deep into Sunday night to extract a return that mildy exceeds PTBNL.

Blake’s Coach flogged Carter’s carcass relentlessly to squeeze passable production out of the player. There’s a reason he played 15+ minutes a night when he deserved 10. And it has nothing to do with respect.

Fans can only trust management when their actions match their words. Anything else is delusional if you’re a paying customer.

It's that, and it's up to Carter. Once his contract isn't just an old guy with a ton of term, if there was a team interested, it's then asking Carter if he'd want to go. If he didn't feel like going, he'd still be here.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
It's that, and it's up to Carter. Once his contract isn't just an old guy with a ton of term, if there was a team interested, it's then asking Carter if he'd want to go. If he didn't feel like going, he'd still be here.

Believe what you’d like. If Carter’s paycheck matched his cap hit, he would have gotten the Kovalchuk treatment by the group of hacks running the team.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Believe what you’d like. If Carter’s paycheck matched his cap hit, he would have gotten the Kovalchuk treatment by the group of hacks running the team.

They got rid of Kovalchuk in 19-20, which would be like getting rid of Carter in 20-21, contractually speaking.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

A guaranteed third and fourth (possibly a second and third) for an aging vet is barely better than a PTBNL? And yet Blake had to beg Hextall to get it done? But Carter was so horrible? But actually his contract isn't that bad anymore?

Which is it? You sound like you're prepared to complain about anything and everything.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
A guaranteed third and fourth (possibly a second and third) for an aging vet is barely better than a PTBNL? And yet Blake had to beg Hextall to get it done? But Carter was so horrible? But actually his contract isn't that bad anymore?

Which is it? You sound like you're prepared to complain about anything and everything.

Seriously, what rational person expected any significant return for a player who is a year away from retiring? Some people just like to complain for the sake of complaining.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC

Yes. Yes. Yes. And yes.

Blake by all accounts had to ask the player three times to bless the move before feeling like he had permission. My point is he spends to much time making difficult decisions and fails to show decisiveness when under pressure.

I also think it’s no coincidence that the extra money Iafallo is getting next season is offset by the savings on the Carter contract.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yes. Yes. Yes. And yes.

Blake by all accounts had to ask the player three times to bless the move before feeling like he had permission. My point is he spends to much time making difficult decisions and fails to show decisiveness when under pressure.

I also think it’s no coincidence that the extra money Iafallo is getting next season is offset by the savings on the Carter contract.

That's your interpretation. By all other accounts, it was a respect thing, as it is for all the veterans on this team. You can not like it, but I appreciate Blake's treatment of players.

I would also say that even though he's made some missteps he actually does NOT fail to show decisiveness and is one of the only GMs I've seen be able to swallow the ego and not subscribe to sunk cost fallacy, like in signing then trading cammalleri, jussi jokinen, even Kovalchuk. Call that a weakness and a strength if you want--don't have to make the 2nd move if the 1st works out--but at least he doesn't sit there and double down on failure.

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014

Am I reading a comments section of a tmz article right now?

Reactions: King'sPawn

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Yes. Yes. Yes. And yes.

Because sending Carter somewhere he didn't want to be would be good for the team acquiring him? Not the Kings problem! Except, it is? Who would trade for Carter if he didn't want to be there? Columbus, and look how that worked out for them. And that was a 26/27 year old Carter, not the never recovered from injury 36/37 year old one.

Blake isn't the only variable in trade equations.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad