Confirmed with Link: Jeff Carter Traded to Pittsburgh / Jeff Carter Appreciation Thread

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I feel like a lot of the argument that Blake didn't get enough kind of implodes on itself anyway. People couldn't wait to rid themselves of him earlier, why would they think they would get good value back? And when we got, imo, surprising value back, why wouldn't that be enough if you just wanted to be rid of him? Especially if you think Blake is a weakling that Carter was holding hostage and he had no other choices anyway? There's no logic to connect those dots.

I dunno. I want to give some folks the benefit of the doubt but some are clearly complaining just to complain.

Player to be named later

Thank you! Should have seen me trying to solve that one :laugh:

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Personally I was looking into what kind of cap penalty a buyout for Carter this summer would infer.. so that the Kings got anything at all for him was a total surprise to me.

Reactions: mysterman2

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Personally I was looking into what kind of cap penalty a buyout for Carter this summer would infer.. so that the Kings got anything at all for him was a total surprise to me.

If Carter retires, interestingly, Pittsburgh gets some cap relief.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
My solution to the Carter problem was LTIR. Win win for all involved. Just needed to manufacture a medical situation.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Yes. Yes. Yes. And yes.

Blake by all accounts had to ask the player three times to bless the move before feeling like he had permission. My point is he spends to much time making difficult decisions and fails to show decisiveness when under pressure.

I also think it’s no coincidence that the extra money Iafallo is getting next season is offset by the savings on the Carter contract.

So then what was the right solution? Not trade him? You'd be bitching that we kept a "terrible" Jeff Carter playing 15 minutes per night. When has he failed to show decisiveness under pressure? Are you in the room with him? What a wild, baseless accusation to make.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
My solution to the Carter problem was LTIR. Win win for all involved. Just needed to manufacture a medical situation.

giphy.gif

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
If Blake had Seabrooked his way out of the Carter contract, there would be a line of Kings fan clamoring for his statue outside the rink.

Right, totally, what's better than getting assets for an aging veteran? Not getting assets for an aging veteran! Glad Blake's the GM and not you.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
If you can’t get a rash surfing in the waters off Hermosa, you’re not trying hard enough.

Still waiting to hear how forcing Carter into LTIRetirement is better for the team than trading him for two decent (possibly good) picks lmao

Reactions: KingsFan7824

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Still waiting to hear how forcing Carter into LTIRetirement is better for the team than trading him for two decent (possibly good) picks lmao

Saves more money, frees up more cap space immediately. The picks have low odds of converting to the higher value. He was worth more to the team looking to improve ASAP by being completely off the books.

Or maybe it’s just Uncle Phil’s money and no fan should care how it’s spent, right?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Saves more money, frees up more cap space immediately. The picks have low odds of converting to the higher value. He was worth more to the team looking to improve ASAP by being completely off the books.

Or maybe it’s just Uncle Phil’s money and no fan should care how it’s spent, right?

Barely saves money, we have very little need for cap, draft picks are trade chips too (see Faber), he's off the books and not hindering the team from improving.

It's not that we shouldn't care about AEG's pocketbook, but that Carter being traded vs. Carter being Robidas-Island'ed is barely a drop in the bucket, and one that is mitigated through TWO draft assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad