Value of: Jeff Carter to Carolina

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
He’d be welcome, I think he’d fit in great. I would pay a fair price. Would the Kings want to be just out of the contract or would they want players back? Rask is cheaper and younger. The RD all get paid similar outside of TVR.
Kings would want a 1st and an on the cusp of making the NHL forward prospect. Think top/middle 6. But if we claim Zykov how about a 1st and a 4th?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Carter would be an interesting target for Carolina if their budget is a consideration. Carter's remaining four years (including this season) have salaries of 5 million, 3 million, 2 million, 2 million. So even if Jeff Carter doesn't produce like he once did, he'd be relatively cheap. Carolina likely won't be nearing the cap any time soon, so they'd be more concerned with his actual salary.

Reactions: Unsustainable

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
If it was just "he didn't want to be here" but he still played, that'd have been one thing. We're familiar with guys who would prefer not to stay. Most of them have been forgiven. But the way he dogged it on the ice was atrocious - he not only didn't want to stay here, he played some of the laziest hockey of his career to try to force the issue.

Well he was in the 1st year an 11 year deal on a bad team he really had no incentive to try hard.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Carter would be an interesting target for Carolina if their budget is a consideration. Carter's remaining four years (including this season) have salaries of 5 million, 3 million, 2 million, 2 million. So even if Jeff Carter doesn't produce like he once did, he'd be relatively cheap. Carolina likely won't be nearing the cap any time soon, so they'd be more concerned with his actual salary.

His style will probably age well to till the end of his contract.

It would change us down the middle a lot. I would try him with Aho and Turbo.

Aho - Carter - Teravainen
Ferland - Rask - Svenchnikov

Rounds out the top 6 a lot better.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Jeff Carter was totally right.

Who seriously wanted to play for that Columbus team.

Now he has two cups, looks to be a good excuse to me.

He made the best choice of his life.
That team being in disarray was a situation that was in no small part of his own making. Generally when one pays assets to get a top-quality two-way center, one expects to get a top-quality two-way center, not a lazy floater who virtually never backchecks, talks other players into leaving, and tries to hide behind goal totals whenever called on it (because he still was willing to shoot the puck; he just didn't do it enough to make up for his laziness everywhere else).

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Ah yes his whole 8 NHL games really show that.
Moronic statement! Let’s just forget his career production averages and the fact that a freak Achilles injury cost him most of last season only to come back later in the a year and avg a ppg.. this season we’ll of course his stats are down.. so are every damn player on my crappy Kings guy.
Don’t make the mistake of thinking a guy like JC, a legit 2C for about 75% of the league yet people like yourself think because if his age that he’s useless and isn’t an impact player??? And to make matters worse I’m sure you’d also think he could be had for a salary swap and a 2nd or 3rd lol GTFO. Put Carter on your Flames and he alone almost guarantees you guys make a nice run in the POs because he’s that good even at 34 YO

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If Columbus fans want to hate him, sure, go ahead, but most people would have done the same. If I signed a long term deal to play where I wanted, and they pretty much immediately traded me to Ohio I'd be pretty upset too.

So shouldn't that alarm a team that is attempting to acquire him out of LA where he signed a long-term deal and wants to be??? I think the way Jeff Carter performed when uninspired by his location should scare lots of potential suitors. It very much applies in a thread about him and I am a massive Jeff Carter fan. Argued passionately on the Wings board to try to go get him when things were spiraling out of control in Columbus. However, that wasn't without the risk of maybe you get the version of how Carter played in Columbus, watching a player basically intentionally tank is tough, it will always be a part of Carter moving forward even if we never see it again. His performance in Columbus was that troubling to be honest, Jackets fans are not wrong when this subject comes up in my opinion.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
So shouldn't that alarm a team that is attempting to acquire him out of LA where he signed a long-term deal and wants to be??? I think the way Jeff Carter performed when uninspired by his location should scare lots of potential suitors. It very much applies in a thread about him and I am a massive Jeff Carter fan. Argued passionately on the Wings board to try to go get him when things were spiraling out of control in Columbus. However, that wasn't without the risk of maybe you get the version of how Carter played in Columbus, watching a player basically intentionally tank is tough, it will always be a part of Carter moving forward even if we never see it again. His performance in Columbus was that troubling to be honest, Jackets fans are not wrong when this subject comes up in my opinion.

He didn’t sign a long term deal in LA. He signed it in Philadelphia. He’s also a lot more mature. That whole Columbus team was terrible - much like the Kings now. Plus, here’s a fun fact: through 39 games in Columbus, Carter scored 15 goals and 10 assists. Through 26 games in LA this season, Carter has 5 goals and 8 assists. He did better in Columbus than he’s doing so far this season. Just goes to show what a really bad team can do to a player’s stats.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He didn’t sign a long term deal in LA. He signed it in Philadelphia. He’s also a lot more mature. That whole Columbus team was terrible - much like the Kings now. Plus, here’s a fun fact: through 39 games in Columbus, Carter scored 15 goals and 10 assists. Through 26 games in LA this season, Carter has 5 goals and 8 assists. He did better in Columbus than he’s doing so far this season. Just goes to show what a really bad team can do to a player’s stats.

As usual here I don't want the qualifiers on his stats, when people talk Columbus Carter they are talking about effort. People throwing numbers out should know that isn't what is being talked about. It is the way a really gifted skater and 200 foot player would routinely quit for entire periods and games during that brief stint. It was incredibly troubling and like I said I am a big fan of Jeff Carter, I like watching him play engaged hockey a ton. It was fantastic for LA. But what happened in Columbus did happen, I am always stunned when people want to dismiss and try to tell an entire fan-base that watched him night in and night out that it didn't. I saw it enough in just the handful of games I flipped through and few total games I watched during that year of them to be fairly disgusted with them, but his effort in particular was embarrassing often.

The larger point is you better make sure Jeff Carter wants to be there, the one time he didn't it wasn't pretty. You can bank on the maturity of Carter. He really is a terrific player, but I have to believe this is a part of the process when you look at Carter as a GM. You better make sure he wants to come if I am the other team, fool me once and all.

Last edited:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
As usual here I don't want the qualifiers on his stats, when people talk Columbus Carter they are talking about effort. People throwing numbers out should know that isn't what is being talked about. It is the way a really gifted skater and 200 foot player would routinely quit for entire periods and games during that brief stint. It was incredibly troubling and like I said I am a big fan of Jeff Carter, I like watching him play engaged hockey a ton. It was fantastic for LA. But what happened in Columbus did happen, I am always stunned when people want to dismiss and try to tell an entire fan-base that watched him night in and night out that it didn't. I saw it enough in the just the handful of games I flipped through and few total games I watched during that year of them to be fairly disgusted with them, but his effort in particular was embarrassing often.

The larger point is you better make sure Jeff Carter wants to be there, the one time he didn't it wasn't pretty. You can bank on the maturity of Carter. He really is a terrific player, but I have to believe this is a part of the process when you look at Carter as a GM. You better make sure he wants to come if I am the other team, fool me once and all.

That’s fair. I guess for me, the difference is that the context and lead up to that trade is very different than the current situation. Carter went from the Stanley Cup finals in 09-10 to the conference semifinals in 10-11 to the worst team in the league in 11-12.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Moronic statement! Let’s just forget his career production averages and the fact that a freak Achilles injury cost him most of last season only to come back later in the a year and avg a ppg.. this season we’ll of course his stats are down.. so are every damn player on my crappy Kings guy.
Don’t make the mistake of thinking a guy like JC, a legit 2C for about 75% of the league yet people like yourself think because if his age that he’s useless and isn’t an impact player??? And to make matters worse I’m sure you’d also think he could be had for a salary swap and a 2nd or 3rd lol GTFO. Put Carter on your Flames and he alone almost guarantees you guys make a nice run in the POs because he’s that good even at 34 YO
Try reading what I said again.. And then do it once more just to make sure. It was pretty obvious I was talking about Petersen. Did you even read the post I responded to?

Reactions: KINGS17

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Would Carter even want to play in Carolina? I guess it's a better team than L.A. at the moment, but if he didn't want to play in Columbus then I can't imagine he would want to play in Carolina. He would be a nice fit on paper though. I think he would play well on Staal's wing, or if you split them up you have Aho-Carter-Staal down the middle which is pretty nice depth at center.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
That team being in disarray was a situation that was in no small part of his own making. Generally when one pays assets to get a top-quality two-way center, one expects to get a top-quality two-way center, not a lazy floater who virtually never backchecks, talks other players into leaving, and tries to hide behind goal totals whenever called on it (because he still was willing to shoot the puck; he just didn't do it enough to make up for his laziness everywhere else).
seriously ?

You really are trying hard.

First you said he had no excuses which is false already, history shows that, but now you take it to another level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad