McKenzie: Jeff Carter might retire rather than accept a trade

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What happened to Carter? He has been so good so consistently. It's unusual to fall off a cliff so quickly.

A terrible team.

He scored at a 40-goal, 60-point pace even after catastrophic injury last year, aka right along his career averages and just like his previous 3 years of 62, 66, 66 points.

He's certainly part of the problem right now, but EVERYONE on the Kings sucks, our leading scorer has 20 points. But guys are about where they'd normally be found as far as team-internal ranks, i.e. Kopitar 1st, Doughty 2nd, etc.

Jeff Carter getting a NTC without having a NTC.

2x Cup Champion
Calder Cup Champion
Olympic Gold Medalist
World Junior Gold Medalist

66 million dollars career earnings. Turning 34 in a few weeks. What left is there for him to do?

If he's not happy with where he's playing why keep playing with that resume and only 7 million over 3 years as potential earnings.

I have no problem with this on Carter's part. He's playing for the love of the game at this point.

Pretty much. But OP being a CBJ fan won't pass on a low-key opportunity to bash Carter.

Really shouldn't be shocking to anyone otherwise, he's a vet who has won it all and has established his life here, getting shook up at this point when he's made most of his career earnings? I'm 37 and not remotely in the same financial stratosphere but I'd say 'get bent' if I were asked to move after settling down my family. Any time before 30, whatever, fire me out of a cannon across the globe.

The only truly interesting part is that he has a sort of de-facto NTC because of the cap recapture to the Kings and retirement threat to anyone else.

Back diving so would the kings or Flyers be subject to recapture?

Kings, as they benefited from his contract the most.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Member when Columbus traded Jake Voracek, a 1st (Sean Coutorier) and a 3rd for this dude and refused to play for them...CBJ basically traded Voracek and Sean Coutorier for Jack Johnson and Marko Dano
And how's that working out for the Flyers?

JJ was instrumental in changing our culture and we wouldn't have Panarin without Dano.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
What are you trying to say?
Somebody asked why his numbers were down. LA is terrible this season, that is why.

You somehow singled out Jeff Carter as if he was playing better than LA would not be a last placed team. Yes he part of the team, but one of the 18 players. The same question can be said about Kopitar and Doughty and whoever.

You talk utter ****. That is what I am trying to say.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Jeff Carter getting a NTC without having a NTC.

2x Cup Champion
Calder Cup Champion
Olympic Gold Medalist
World Junior Gold Medalist

66 million dollars career earnings. Turning 34 in a few weeks. What left is there for him to do?

If he's not happy with where he's playing why keep playing with that resume and only 7 million over 3 years as potential earnings.

I have no problem with this on Carter's part. He's playing for the love of the game at this point.
I agree, it's a reasonable stance for Carter to take, and back when he signed the deal with Philadelphia both sides probably assumed he wouldn't play the last three years of the contract.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Hopefully the next CBA these cap recapture penalty agreements will be addressed, IMO it's hurting a lot of teams. They talk about parity and smaller market teams being able to compete however whatever the size of the market is all teams should focus on creating a winning culture.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I agree, it's a reasonable stance for Carter to take, and back when he signed the deal with Philadelphia both sides probably assumed he wouldn't play the last three years of the contract.

Doesn't Philly get penalized as well since they originally signed him to the contract?

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Somebody asked why his numbers were down. LA is terrible this season, that is why.

You somehow singled out Jeff Carter as if he was playing better than LA would not be a last placed team. Yes he part of the team, but one of the 18 players. The same question can be said about Kopitar and Doughty and whoever.

You talk utter ****. That is what I am trying to say.

Yes, I would be surprised too if Carter raised his game above everyone else and showed the way. Would be very uncharacteristic of him.

Reactions: MisterT

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Doesn't Philly get penalized as well since they originally signed him to the contract?
No, because Carter never played under that contract with the Flyers. The penalty setup has to do with who received the benefit of those back-diving years.

Hypothetically, IIRC Columbus could be penalized as well, since we had him for a short while, and he did receive compensation in excess of his cap hit (altho not by much; $6m that year on a ~$5.27m AAV) I'm not sure how the math works for partial years, though. The Kings would be on the hook for the largest penalty by far, though (his contract's salary started lower, curved up higher, then backdove).

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Hopefully the next CBA these cap recapture penalty agreements will be addressed, IMO it's hurting a lot of teams. They talk about parity and smaller market teams being able to compete however whatever the size of the market is all teams should focus on creating a winning culture.
Hopefully not, because the teams that either signed the deals or the teams who traded for the players on those contracts knew exactly what they were doing with these cap circumventing deals.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yes, I would be surprised too if Carter raised his game above everyone else and showed the way. Would be very uncharacteristic of him.
Because he has never done this? Look as recently as the 2016-17 season. In 2017-18 Carter was injured.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

You mean like that 66 point season when Kopitar was hurt? or in the epic 2014 series vs. Chicago when Kopitar and Toews were blackholing each other and Carter took off making the 70s line become a thing?

Yeah unheard of. I guess it's tough to evaluate hockey when you're not watching it though.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
or in the epic 2014 series vs. Chicago when Kopitar and Toews were blackholing each other and Carter took off making the 70s line become a thing?

See, this says more about Chicago's poor center depth than anything. Hard to shine when you're matched up against Michal Handzus.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Hopefully not, because the teams that either signed the deals or the teams who traded for the players on those contracts knew exactly what they were doing with these cap circumventing deals.

The league wanted to create parity because certain market teams couldn't spend to the cap as well as each year their is turnover on teams.

Now the league knew well when it allowed these teams into some of these markets that they could draw a revenue base like most markets.

The main driver is the salary cap, if your not going to have a realistic salary cap , then all teams are forced to offset a higher per year salary for a longer term and 90 percent of those guys receiving those contracts are at the age of 28 29 years old . Most of those players will rapidly decline within 2 or 3 years of signing those deals.

The league needs to seriously look at the CBA , or the lottery that's kind of a joke you could finish dead last and lose out on the numbern1 pick ? IMO that doesn't help a franchise who will be struggling for a few years become competitive again and drive it's revenue base back up.

I'd like to see either no salary cap or not a hard cap and shorter contracts maybe limit them to 5 or 6 years, this way it allows teams to purge players not performing and makes players seriously play for their contract. Or bring in no guarantee contracts maybe similar to the nfl.

Just some thoughts .

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
See, this says more about Chicago's poor center depth than anything. Hard to shine when you're matched up against Michal Handzus.

:laugh:

This is why I gave you a playoff series sample size AND a season long sample size...yet here you are trying to wrap your head around a false reality instead.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad