McKenzie: Jeff Carter might retire rather than accept a trade

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Jeff Carter getting a NTC without having a NTC.

2x Cup Champion
Calder Cup Champion
Olympic Gold Medalist
World Junior Gold Medalist

66 million dollars career earnings. Turning 34 in a few weeks. What left is there for him to do?

If he's not happy with where he's playing why keep playing with that resume and only 7 million over 3 years as potential earnings.

I have no problem with this on Carter's part. He's playing for the love of the game at this point.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Jo scored a bit more in relation to his peers. Interesting comparison though.

In my very quick and dirty comparison, both were never top-10 point getters.

Nieuwendyk Top10 goal finishes: 5, 5, 7, 7, 9
Carter Top10 goal finishes: 2, 4, 7

I think it's mostly longevity and complied stats (higher scoring era too) that benefit Joe.

Reactions: Voight

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Friedman heard the same thing. He talked about in a radio spot the other day. I'll try to find the link.

I wonder if there's any connection with the rumor of a trade falling through with Carolina and a Western Conference team. Carter made a ton of sense as a trade target.
Purely speculation but I wondered the same

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Friedman heard the same thing. He talked about in a radio spot the other day. I'll try to find the link.

I wonder if there's any connection with the rumor of a trade falling through with Carolina and a Western Conference team. Carter made a ton of sense as a trade target.

TBH I wouldn't want to relocate across the country either.

Even if the team you play on sucks, at least you're living well (but getting taxed a ton) in LA.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
He also looks like a typical Cal dude.

as for the OP -- holy crap, I can't believe he's played almost 1000 games. Does not feel like hes been around that long :whaaa?:

What amazes me is how much longer his career is/ was than his buddy Mike Richards. Both so good as Flyers. Richards was my favorite player in the whole league for awhile.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
What amazes me is how much longer his career is/ was than his buddy Mike Richards. Both so good as Flyers. Richards was my favorite player in the whole league for awhile.

They both were party animals, but Richards ended up going a little too far. However, he was a key part of 2 cups in 3 years.

I remember Carter's 46 goal 84 point season like it was yesterday. Always felt bad that both signed massive deals to stay in Philly and then Holmgren jettisoned them for Bryz.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Maybe Kings would do their division rivals and foes the Anaheim ducks a favor and send Jeff to Orange County. Maybe a 3 way deal to get it done, assuming Jeff is down.

Better than getting nothing but a cap recapture penalty I guess...

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I understand why he might feel that way, but the Kings have been really good to him, and he’s screwing them if he kills his trade value. He can always retire in LA after his contract is up and live here in the off season. If that’s really his position (as opposed to McKenzie just speculating), then it’s a pretty bratty move.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
For the record, I'm pretty sure this is speculation by McKenzie rather than a rumor he's heard, 'cause of the way it's phrased. Still. Yikes.
When Bob says something like this, it's not speculation.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
In my very quick and dirty comparison, both were never top-10 point getters.

Nieuwendyk Top10 goal finishes: 5, 5, 7, 7, 9
Carter Top10 goal finishes: 2, 4, 7

I think it's mostly longevity and complied stats (higher scoring era too) that benefit Joe.
Yeah looking at his numbers he did not score as much as I'd remembered.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Common sense has been nowhere to be found at the Kings offices since the 2014 trade deadline.

That's what getting caught up in a miracle playoff run will do for you. An 0-3 comeback. Three Game 7 wins on the road. Three OT wins on home ice in the Final, all of which had the potential to go the other way. Those things don't happen to teams individually, let alone collectively. That's the team Lombardi built though. Especially after he hired Sutter in a last ditch effort to save his own job. Just get in, and you never know.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014

Mike Richards was 5 for 10 and one the most physical players out there. Jeff Carter, not so much.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad