Player Discussion: Jean-Gabriel Pageau

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Everyone understands that a draft pick is an asset. That's why many of us are happy that a draft pick was used as an asset and exchanged for a player. You felt the valuation was off, so they are explaining why they feel the value of said asset was a fair exchange for the player in question. Nothing about evaluating an asset based on its value were it not to be spent suggests that they do not feel it can be used as an asset. In fact, their satisfaction with having used it as an asset suggests quite the opposite.

You, and many others, may understand that a draft pick is an asset, but not everyone does. That is for sure. I think you're posting on behalf of other people who get it, but several don't.

Also the debate shouldn't be: Pageau vs the 2020 1st and 2020 2nd. It should be...Were the 2020 1st and 2020 2nd used to their maximum value?

I can both like Pageau and also think they weren't. There's also a handful of people out there that hate me as a poster and/or cannot see the nuance of that point as well.

That said the bottom line point that should be discussed is...How is Lou going to create a legit Stanley Cup contending lineup now with the limited assets and cap space we have left?

Because if you watched the game today it's plain as day that there is a serious chasm in talent between a team like Boston and us. And if that isn't addressed somehow this offseason, then once again we'll still be closer to an 8 seed in 2021 than Cup contender.

Reactions: FourRings

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
as someone also mentioned, raiding other premiere leagues for their players has become common, and that option does not cost a thing.

and, i believe that because of financial constraints, the Isles may be trading a few players for picks, this off-season. and of course LL&BT are not going to say that in the midst of a playoff chase.

both Leddy and Mayfield will garner decent picks, IMO. although, i get the feeling that Leddy may be involved in the Parise trade, since Leddy is a native Minnesotan.

aaawwww.... wtf do i know...

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
as someone also mentioned, raiding other premiere leagues for their players has become common, and that option does not cost a thing.

Yeah, but name the players in any international leagues that would come to the Islanders and also be an improvement on any player you'd trade away...

Reactions: bigtim1988

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Re: picks as assets and JGP, we now have him locked up for 6 years (plus the rest of this year). Whoever we drafted with the pick would, IF they became an NHLer, probably take at least a year, or more likely two or three, to become a productive NHLer, and then they'd be a UFA at 27. So, you potentially retain control of a successful draft pick as a productive NHL player for, that's right, six years.

So we filled a big hole. A scoring winger can be obtained via trade or UFA, or maybe Wahlstrom or Bellows or Holmstrom become what we need. But for a coach like Trotz who likes to roll lines, having a legit 3C was a requirement.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Re: picks as assets and JGP, we now have him locked up for 6 years (plus the rest of this year). Whoever we drafted with the pick would, IF they became an NHLer, probably take at least a year, or more likely two or three, to become a productive NHLer, and then they'd be a UFA at 27. So, you potentially retain control of a successful draft pick as a productive NHL player for, that's right, six years.

So we filled a big hole. A scoring winger can be obtained via trade or UFA, or maybe Wahlstrom or Bellows or Holmstrom become what we need. But for a coach like Trotz who likes to roll lines, having a legit 3C was a requirement.
OK, I'll bite. What post in this thread is about a trade of draft picks for a player but indicates they cannot grasp that draft picks are tradeable assets and do not have to be used?

Reactions: periferal

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
That said the bottom line point that should be discussed is...How is Lou going to create a legit Stanley Cup contending lineup now with the limited assets and cap space we have left?
he already did. The Islanders have a realistic opportunity to win a Cup this year. Their odds really aren't that far off Boston or Tampa, every team in the playoffs is within distance of each other

Because if you watched the game today it's plain as day that there is a serious chasm in talent between a team like Boston and us. And if that isn't addressed somehow this offseason, then once again we'll still be closer to an 8 seed in 2021 than Cup contender.
it was also plain as day Carolina wasn't as talented as Boston. Their 2nd leading goal sorer was 37 year old Justin Williams with a whopping 23 goals. Yet it was Carolina who made the Stanley Cup finals while Boston and Tampa and Toronto watched from home. I think Carolina and Columbus and St Louis and Islanders fans should all be ecstatic with the job their managers have been doing.

Abradolf Lincler

Emancipating your inferior genes
Nov 16, 2011
NC
he already did. The Islanders have a realistic opportunity to win a Cup this year. Their odds really aren't that far off Boston or Tampa, every team in the playoffs is within distance of each other

it was also plain as day Carolina wasn't as talented as Boston. Their 2nd leading goal sorer was 37 year old Justin Williams with a whopping 23 goals. Yet it was Carolina who made the Stanley Cup finals while Boston and Tampa and Toronto watched from home. I think Carolina and Columbus and St Louis and Islanders fans should all be ecstatic with the job their managers have been doing.

Carolina made the Stanley cup last year? That’s news to me. I was under the impression they got swept in the ECF

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park

This is a really bizarre post. Firstly, you think this islander team is a legit cup contender? I don’t think I even need to respond to that one

Secondly, Boston beat Carolina so I have no idea what you’re talking about. And Carolina is one of the most skilled young teams in the league, I hardly think that’s a good comparison to us.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

giphy.gif

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY

Wut?

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Why should I answer the question? Your reply, and thus question, was to someone else.

And besides, you already know how I feel.
Thats odd, i must've misquoted. But the question was aimed at your claim that several people do not understand that draft picks can be traded for assets, so I'd like to see you back it up with an example.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Thats odd, i must've misquoted. But the question was aimed at your claim that several people do not understand that draft picks can be traded for assets, so I'd like to see you back it up with an example.

Uhhh...How about the one you replied to? Not going to report the rest of myriad of posts on here that said basically the same thing, "Any draft pick wouldn't be ready for 2-3 years..." type of stuff.

That person might know that a pick can be traded again, but when that's the argument they put forth they are not understanding the big picture.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Uhhh...How about the one you replied to? Not going to report the rest of myriad of posts on here that said basically the same thing, "Any draft pick wouldn't be ready for 2-3 years..." type of stuff.

That person might know that a pick can be traded again, but when that's the argument they put forth they are not understanding the big picture.
So it is your belief the @doublechili does not understand that picks can be traded as assets, despite him actively discussing a trade where picks were traded as assets? @doublechili, is it true you did not understand that picks could be traded as assets? Because honestly, it seems like you understand it pretty well to me.

And @periferal, your last sentence is just you moving the goalposts again, backing off your original claim.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
So it is your belief the @doublechili does not understand that picks can be traded as assets, despite him actively discussing a trade where picks were traded as assets? @doublechili, is it true you did not understand that picks could be traded as assets? Because honestly, it seems like you understand it pretty well to me.

And @periferal, your last sentence is just you moving the goalposts again, backing off your original claim.
Just confirming I do in fact understand that. It's the big picture that I don't understand. Just the other day I literally got lost in a forest because I was focusing too intently on individual trees and lost my way.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Update on Pageau? Happy with his play?
i am. Trotz has him out there late in a game, whether we are leading or trailing. seems like a gamer, got some gritz and skillz. i was hoping for LL to add some size, like maybe Simmonds, to our top 6, but honestly, i think Pager will work out fine for us.

Reactions: DJB

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Interesting comment in the article... According to Pageau, Lou sat down at the table with JG after the trade, offered a $5M a year AAV extension, and Pageau says he accepted on the spot, no negotiation.

I guess he really wants to be here.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
as a pretty good hockey player, in his prime, we have to assume that he believes in the Isles. too bad some of the posters here believe that we are even considered a competitor.

Reactions: JKP

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY

Seems to be a theme these days.. .Pageau, Pulock.... hopefully Barzal feels the same way.

The players and org talk about being family, and a lot of times we look at that as marketing fluff and team-speak, but in this case, I really believe these guys are bought in, and truly like each other.

Reactions: buud

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Seems to be a theme these days.. .Pageau, Pulock.... hopefully Barzal feels the same way.

The players and org talk about being family, and a lot of times we look at that as marketing fluff and team-speak, but in this case, I really believe these guys are bought in, and truly like each other.
It’s been said by his former players that they absolutely loved playing for Lou Lamoriello. He takes care of everything for them, does his best to put a buffer between any outside distractions and the team. His organizations have always been all about the players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad