Player Discussion: Jean-Gabriel Pageau

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Yeah, but you didn’t want Pageau at all

Are you color blind? Because I've been trying to describe a box of crayons to you and all you see is black and white.

I happen to really like Pageau - Maybe for his attitude/effort the most. I'm happy he's on this team and will be happy about that for the next 5+ years.

First digest that. Let it swirl around in your brain for a bit before we continue. Good? Now...

My problem was the price paid for him. Not just because it was an overpay (and it still was even after he was resigned), but because now we have less assets to find that 25+ goal scorer which I think remains a bigger need than a 3rd line center.

So to recap...

• Love Pageau and happy he's on the team
  • Don't like the price paid for him (even with extension)
  • Still have a big scoring problem and less assets to solve it this offseason

Develop some nuance in your life and realize that all 3 of those things can, and do, exist.

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
As much as Pageau fits this team and the style they play, that other guy wouldn't have fit at all. Thank God we didn't sign him to that absolute anchor of a contract that Toronto gave him.

Tavares is a better player but his skating is not on Pageau’s level and will not age well. I think JGP fits our mold of rolling four lines and makes us a more complete team. But if we had JT, Barzal, Nelson, and CC down the middle, that’s a tough lineup.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Tavares is a better player but his skating is not on Pageau’s level and will not age well. I think JGP fits our mold of rolling four lines and makes us a more complete team. But if we had JT, Barzal, Nelson, and CC down the middle, that’s a tough lineup.

The Snake already looks like his game is better on the wing. His average skating and subpar defensive play is not a great fit for the middle, he's an excellent garbage man around the net. Having a playmaking winger like Marner is the best thing for him.

Pageau is Mike Peca 2.0, but a better skater and less 'nasty'. Strong in the dot, defensively responsible, and can play all situations. He's a perfect #2C/#3C to take the shutdown role as Barzal is the offensive #1C. Nelson may be much maligned, but he is a very competent #2C.

Cizikas has been a strong #4C, but I worry about his long term outlook. Ideally Koivula can develop and take his roster spot in a couple of years. The size and physicality he brings would be a different dimension to match with Barzal, Nelson, and Pageau.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
The Snake already looks like his game is better on the wing. His average skating and subpar defensive play is not a great fit for the middle, he's an excellent garbage man around the net. Having a playmaking winger like Marner is the best thing for him.

Pageau is Mike Peca 2.0, but a better skater and less 'nasty'. Strong in the dot, defensively responsible, and can play all situations. He's a perfect #2C/#3C to take the shutdown role as Barzal is the offensive #1C. Nelson may be much maligned, but he is a very competent #2C.

Cizikas has been a strong #4C, but I worry about his long term outlook. Ideally Koivula can develop and take his roster spot in a couple of years. The size and physicality he brings would be a different dimension to match with Barzal, Nelson, and Pageau.

I just don't see anything in Koivula unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong. Young kid I know, buuuuut.....

Reactions: TommytheCat

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Are you color blind? Because I've been trying to describe a box of crayons to you and all you see is black and white.

I happen to really like Pageau - Maybe for his attitude/effort the most. I'm happy he's on this team and will be happy about that for the next 5+ years.

First digest that. Let it swirl around in your brain for a bit before we continue. Good? Now...

My problem was the price paid for him. Not just because it was an overpay (and it still was even after he was resigned), but because now we have less assets to find that 25+ goal scorer which I think remains a bigger need than a 3rd line center.

So to recap...

• Love Pageau and happy he's on the team
  • Don't like the price paid for him (even with extension)
  • Still have a big scoring problem and less assets to solve it this offseason

Develop some nuance in your life and realize that all 3 of those things can, and do, exist.

Excuse me for being confused, thinking you didn’t want him considering I asked what you thought he would cost and you replied “I DIDNT WANT HIM” in all caps. That seems rather black and white to me.

Attachments

• F0284CAC-5C2E-4C43-B0F6-8D97758397A6.jpeg
    F0284CAC-5C2E-4C43-B0F6-8D97758397A6.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 9

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Excuse me for being confused, thinking you didn’t want him considering I asked what you thought he would cost and you replied “I DIDNT WANT HIM” in all caps. That seems rather black and white to me.

Again...That's because I knew what he was going to cost. I don't like trading for players that you could sign for zero assets a few months from now (and especially when they aren't true impact players). I'll take the chance that that player signs somewhere else so I can keep good assets.

Again I like the kid, but we just paid a 1st and 2nd round pick for a 3rd line center. Now it's going to cost a 1st, Dobson, and something else at least for a 1st line winger that can score 25+ goals, and that is what we need most.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Again...That's because I knew what he was going to cost. I don't like trading for players that you could sign for zero assets a few months from now (and especially when they aren't true impact players). I'll take the chance that that player signs somewhere else so I can keep good assets.

Again I like the kid, but we just paid a 1st and 2nd round pick for a 3rd line center. Now it's going to cost a 1st, Dobson, and something else at least for a 1st line winger that can score 25+ goals, and that is what we need most.

I see this number (25) thrown out there ... just a reminder that Lee and Eberle are 25 goal scorers. Scoring is up, there are 31 players who already have 25+ goals with about 17 games left in the season.

A 20 goal scorer taking over MDCs spot moves the needle, there are "3rd liners" capable of the production.

So we either need someone more complimentary to Barzal that can score at that clip, which pushes Lee down the roster (essentially making the team deeper) OR we need to find that coveted guy that you pencil in for 35+ on Barzals wing.

We need timely goals at big moments. I think we're gonna have to make a painful trade to get a top line sniper or keep our fingers crossed and hope Wahlstrom or Bellows becomes that guy.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011

You responded in the previous thread “why don’t we just go after him for free in free agency?”

my question to you is why don’t we just go after Hoffman or Hall in the off-season? Or trade a package including one of our defensemen for scoring help.

listen, I get you like the guy and all that. But don’t pull a condescending “YoUrE nOt LiStEnInG” attitude. You can say “oh after seeing him I changed my mind”, or “I had thought differently and didn’t articulate it properly” at the time or whatnot but you went for the holier than thou crap which is The problem I have with it

I like your posts overall, but you’ve been awfully high-horse here regarding this particular issue

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
2 games in and couldnt be happier with Pageau's production, and his ice time. Almost 19 minutes of ice time, even strength, power play, and penalty kill. Seems very much worth the contract he signed.
His faceoff percentage has been incredible. Trotz already throwing him out there when needing key faceoff wins

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I see this number (25) thrown out there ... just a reminder that Lee and Eberle are 25 goal scorers. Scoring is up, there are 31 players who already have 25+ goals with about 17 games left in the season.

A 20 goal scorer taking over MDCs spot moves the needle, there are "3rd liners" capable of the production.

So we either need someone more complimentary to Barzal that can score at that clip, which pushes Lee down the roster (essentially making the team deeper) OR we need to find that coveted guy that you pencil in for 35+ on Barzals wing.

We need timely goals at big moments. I think we're gonna have to make a painful trade to get a top line sniper or keep our fingers crossed and hope Wahlstrom or Bellows becomes that guy.

100% agree with the bolded part. It's not just about getting another goal scorer, but an impact one who can not only play alongside Barzal, but take heat off him. Barzal is truly the only dynamic player we have and every other team knows it. So every time we hit the ice our opponents primary goal is to "stop #13."

So I am beyond confident that if we get someone on Barzal's level in terms of talent to play along side him that will change so much. Aside from the scoring going up, I'm sure Barzal's mistakes would go down because he wouldn't have to force things as much knowing he doesn't have linemates that can do as much.

So going forward the #1 thing we need to do is not just bring in a goal scorer, but one who is a game-changer the way Barzal is.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
You responded in the previous thread “why don’t we just go after him for free in free agency?”

my question to you is why don’t we just go after Hoffman or Hall in the off-season? Or trade a package including one of our defensemen for scoring help.

listen, I get you like the guy and all that. But don’t pull a condescending “YoUrE nOt LiStEnInG” attitude. You can say “oh after seeing him I changed my mind”, or “I had thought differently and didn’t articulate it properly” at the time or whatnot but you went for the holier than thou crap which is The problem I have with it

I like your posts overall, but you’ve been awfully high-horse here regarding this particular issue

I absolutely see how my posts can come off as "high horse." Let me be clear that's not who I want to be or my intention. What I can say is I am beyond passionate about the things I love, and the Islanders are one. So when I'm confident about something and you combine that with my passion, you're going to get a runaway tank of thoughts and opinions.

I just think that when you pay a 1st and 2nd for a 3rd line center (who again I like), the price for the 1st line winger you really need more is going to now be even more expensive, and now we have less assets to acquire that player. And it's not like we have tons of valuable picks/prospects to begin with.

And yes...I would have been upset if we used key assets to trade for Hall or Hoffman either (but I do hope that Lou goes after Hoffman full steam in the offseason). I mean if two years ago the Maple Leafs traded key assets to acquire Tavares at the trade deadline and then resigned him I think it would've been a foolish move (not nearly as stupid as us not trading him first). Even with him they still have some big holes to fix and now imagine if they had even less assets to fix their team with.

That is all I'm saying.

Reactions: Noreaster96

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I absolutely see how my posts can come off as "high horse." Let me be clear that's not who I want to be or my intention. What I can say is I am beyond passionate about the things I love, and the Islanders are one. So when I'm confident about something and you combine that with my passion, you're going to get a runaway tank of thoughts and opinions.

I just think that when you pay a 1st and 2nd for a 3rd line center (who again I like), the price for the 1st line winger you really need more is going to now be even more expensive, and now we have less assets to acquire that player. And it's not like we have tons of valuable picks/prospects to begin with.

And yes...I would have been upset if we used key assets to trade for Hall or Hoffman either (but I do hope that Lou goes after Hoffman full steam in the offseason). I mean if two years ago the Maple Leafs traded key assets to acquire Tavares at the trade deadline and then resigned him I think it would've been a foolish move (not nearly as stupid as us not trading him first). Even with him they still have some big holes to fix and now imagine if they had even less assets to fix their team with.

That is all I'm saying.

I think it was the crayons comment that set me off :laugh:

we’re good, we both want the Isles to win.

Cheers, and LGI

:cheers:

Reactions: periferal

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Everyone thinks McDavid when they talk about a first rounder. Ninety percent of the time, a first, second, and third equals a solid player, a jag, and a bust. For any team.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Everyone thinks McDavid when they talk about a first rounder. Ninety percent of the time, a first, second, and third equals a solid player, a jag, and a bust. For any team.

Not to mention that the solid player usually becomes that 3-5 years down the line. Last year we took Holmstrom with what will likely be a similar pick - how long you think until he not only plays with the big league club, but makes an impact?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

I promise you more people simply cannot grasp that ANY DRAFT PICK IS SIMPLY AN ASSET. Just because you have any number of picks doesn't mean you need to use them.

Every time we trade a pick for a player all I hear is basically, "The draft is a total crap shoot and besides...That pick wouldn't have played for us for 2-3 years anyway."

Facepalm. Every time.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I promise you more people simply cannot grasp that ANY DRAFT PICK IS SIMPLY AN ASSET. Just because you have any number of picks doesn't mean you need to use them.

Every time we trade a pick for a player all I hear is basically, "The draft is a total crap shoot and besides...That pick wouldn't have played for us for 2-3 years anyway."

Facepalm. Every time.

Everyone understands that a draft pick is an asset. That's why many of us are happy that a draft pick was used as an asset and exchanged for a player. You felt the valuation was off, so they are explaining why they feel the value of said asset was a fair exchange for the player in question. Nothing about evaluating an asset based on its value were it not to be spent suggests that they do not feel it can be used as an asset. In fact, their satisfaction with having used it as an asset suggests quite the opposite.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Everyone understands that a draft pick is an asset. That's why many of us are happy that a draft pick was used as an asset and exchanged for a player. You felt the valuation was off, so they are explaining why they feel the value of said asset was a fair exchange for the player in question. Nothing about evaluating an asset based on its value were it not to be spent suggests that they do not feel it can be used as an asset. In fact, their satisfaction with having used it as an asset suggests quite the opposite.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad