Player Discussion: Jean-Gabriel Pageau

crasherino

May 9, 2013
His GA60 is even more impressive this year, given that he really hasn't had any set wingers all season. GA60 even strength 1. Second to only Wahlstrom, and number 1 for players with significant mins over 200. I don't think he will get consideration for the Selke, but he is that good defensively you can put anyone with him, and not be worried defensively the team will be fine.

I love having Wahlstrom with him. He seems like the perfect guy to bring along an offensive minded youngster. Teach him how to play the game the right way but still has some scoring acumen. I would love that third line to be Tito/JGP/Wahl but that would mean we'd need someone to step up as a top 6 winger. I wouldn't be against giving Bellows another shot despite his poor game last week. MDC too if/when he's back.

Having that third line with Tito makes the whole team that much more balanced.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
I love having Wahlstrom with him. He seems like the perfect guy to bring along an offensive minded youngster. Teach him how to play the game the right way but still has some scoring acumen. I would love that third line to be Tito/JGP/Wahl but that would mean we'd need someone to step up as a top 6 winger. I wouldn't be against giving Bellows another shot despite his poor game last week. MDC too if/when he's back.

Having that third line with Tito makes the whole team that much more balanced.
Agree- Give Bellows a CONSISTENT chance and learn on the fly which may have its bumps. Solid defense, solid goaltending, play within the system, and spread out scoring and this team should win more than they lose.

Reactions: buud

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Sometimes the stats in sports don't tell the full story. For instance, there are vultures , talented ones who feast on weak teams and rack up points in blowout games.

Then there are big game players who score when it matters. Pageau is the latter and it's an element we were really missing the last decade.

Such a "timely" player.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
I LOVE that JGP is the perfect fit here, and, as a bonus, that other guy who is now in Toronto is turning out to be a bad(and expensive) fit for them. Thank God, in retrospect, he left.

Love it. The Pageau trade is one of the best trades this franchise has ever made.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
We
I LOVE that JGP is the perfect fit here, and, as a bonus, that other guy who is now in Toronto is turning out to be a bad(and expensive) fit for them. Thank God, in retrospect, he left.

Love it. The Pageau trade is one of the best trades this franchise has ever made.
We have our Second and Third line centers, both very productive players for us, because of that near miss. Odd how things work out... though it's still OK to lament or note that all of the misdirection by JT and his team (which was their right) cost us assets in the farm system.

Last edited:
Reactions: beach

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What a great trade this has turned out to be. He has been the most consistently good Islander this year. This considering he had no set wingers at the beginning of the season, but now he seems to have the best wingers on the team in Wahlstrom and Beauvillier. He is having a career year on pace for 57-58 points over a 82 game season.

Still only 28, he is magnificent on faceoffs, a terrifically dependable defensive player, and he is a playoff warrior.

One of the best trades last year by any NHL team. If he keeps playing like he is, signed for 5 more years at 5M per is a bargain for a #3C playing like a #2C, and in the case of right now a #1C, as the Isles best Center until Barzal gets back into form.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I'm so f***ing happy JGP gets to be appreciated by another fan base too but also that he gets a run at the Cup during his prime with a solid pay day. That man showed up every year ready to game and played above what was asked for him for the better part of a decade.

I love this man. Everything Sens fans had said the day of the trade has absolutely come true. Playoff warrior and jack of all trades.

Hope Ridly Greig pans out for you.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He took a hit yesterday mostly in retaliation for Dumoulin losing his balance, with a little help from JGP. It looked like he winced. He was out just a week ago. Hope he is okay, JGP is invaluable to the Isles. Right now his line is the best one for the Isles. Fun seeing him and Crosby go at it.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He took a hit yesterday mostly in retaliation for Dumoulin losing his balance, with a little help from JGP. It looked like he winced. He was out just a week ago. Hope he is okay, JGP is invaluable to the Isles. Right now his line is the best one for the Isles. Fun seeing him and Crosby go at it.
I expect Pageau will play hurt unless he has a rib sticking out of his body. His last shift yesterday was before the penalty when Rust closed his hand on the puck and then threw it like a girl.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I expect Pageau will play hurt unless he has a rib sticking out of his body. His last shift yesterday was before the penalty when Rust closed his hand on the puck and then threw it like a girl.
Yep, Jean Gabriel is a warrior indeed. He has been a great addition to the team. Senile Lou strikes again.
Pageau-960x540.png

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Can we talk about what a warrior this guy is? It's really a luxury that he is our third line center, he could easily be a second. Now we just need to shore up our wing situation.

Also cool to see how he and his wife seem to be enjoying island life based on their Instagrams. Felt like he took quite a leap of faith signing that contract before even being here, but it looks like it's working out for everyone.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Hellraising Senator

Feb 15, 2017
Question do you still feel like you boys overpaid?

I miss the guy as he was my favorite Senator. I didnt want to trade him at all tbh

Reactions: JKP

Hellraising Senator

Feb 15, 2017
Underpaid, if anything

Nope. I don't think you will find many fans here who wish they still had the first rounder.

Love hearing this. I was pretty adamant that it was a mistake for us to lose Pageau and that you boys would love him. He truly is one of the best 3rd line Centers out there. Good luck boys, cheering you on. F the leafs, f the bruins. Just win boys!

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
More so than: thankful, appreciative, happy, fortunate...glad to have JGP on the team, he makes me proud. From the admirable person, to the two way talent, to the fierce heart - 110%, this guy is what a franchise player is all about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad