JC'S Change Tracker - Pt 2

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think part of it is JC trying to gain the trust and respect of the locker room. If he came in right away and started alienating players (especially cherished vets) by not icing them, there may have been some hostility towards him.

Exactly. There are some things you just can't do immediately. Seabrook has been here with these guys for a decade. He would have likely lost the room. We all saw Kane and his Seabrook defense in the media.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Yes, this is not occurring in a vacuum. JC took over from a guy who'd been here a decade and was loved and respected by his players. One thing Q was very good at was managing the room, the personalities, etc. It's a skill, and not something every coach is particularly good at. Replacing that mid-season was a damn near impossible task to be saddled with. He could not come in and just start turning everything upside down, even if it was the right thing to do. He's doing his own part to manage that room and gain the respect and trust of those players. As frustrating as that may be for fans, it's the right play for the long-term, and I think it bodes well for his management of personalities and egos in his own right.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Of course, JC elected to tread lightly to begin his tenure with Hawks and for good reason as described so eloquently above; it is why fans of the team must wait to see what this guy is made of.

My gut says he will turn out to be a pretty good head coach but that judgement will have to wait.

Reactions: Blue Liner

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Of course, JC elected to tread lightly to begin his tenure with Hawks and for good reason as described so eloquently above; it is why fans of the team must wait to see what this guy is made of.

My gut says he will turn out to be a pretty good head coach but that judgement will have to wait.

I think so, too. I really look forward to seeing what a full off-season, training camp, preseason, etc brings.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Seems like he has the mind for it.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I disagree. The power play is run exactly how it should be right now. It is as close to flawless as I have seen. Every game they are scoring in a different way from a different spot. That tells me they are running a quick, fluid, unpredictable power play that breaks the PK down and capitalizes on the openings.

They are scoring on 1/3 over the last two months. It just doesn't get better than that. You are seeing a problem that doesn't exist.

You were saying?

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
upload_2019-3-27_16-41-9.gif

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
You were saying?

The power play struggles coincide pretty well with Kane's game falling apart. More net presence would be good, especially at even strength. But I think most of their issues on the PP over the last couple weeks are related to their major offensive weapons being completely off.

DeBrincat looks banged up too. He has taken some dirty, hard hits in the last month or so.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The power play struggles coincide pretty well with Kane's game falling apart. More net presence would be good, especially at even strength. But I think most of their issues on the PP over the last couple weeks are related to their major offensive weapons being completely off.

DeBrincat looks banged up too. He has taken some dirty, hard hits in the last month or so.
ahhh nevermind, people would take it the wrong way....lol

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

The movement hasn't been there. The finish may be missing for the reasons you stated but they are not getting the looks that they did during the hot streak. Way too much perimeter and Gus deferring to Kane for the shot way too much. Gus' shot is hard to handle. 50% of the time he should bomb away and others crash the net.

This would open things up even w/o a ton of movement. Add movement back in and it would be very formidable.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The movement hasn't been there. The finish may be missing for the reasons you stated but they are not getting the looks that they did during the hot streak. Way too much perimeter and Gus deferring to Kane for the shot way too much. Gus' shot is hard to handle. 50% of the time he should bomb away and others crash the net.

This would open things up even w/o a ton of movement. Add movement back in and it would be very formidable.

Yes.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Exactly.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
okay then, back to BWC trashing our new coach....

Thank You for getting things back on track here

Funny how the awful lines and management from JC in must win game aren't being discussed. The loss vs Coyotes can very heavily be blamed on JC as has been case often this year

From his wonderful super duo of Manning-Seabrook on PK and even strength earlier in year that cost Hawks numerous games to his treatment of Joker there have been more then enough reasons for fans not to be pleased with the so called "Progress" of our HC

Not even going to get into this disaster of a PK ,, That somehow after nearly 60 games is somehow continues to get worse

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

Funny how the awful lines and management from JC in must win game aren't being discussed. The loss vs Coyotes can very heavily be blamed on JC as has been case often this year

From his wonderful super duo of Manning-Seabrook on PK and even strength earlier in year that cost Hawks numerous games to his treatment of Joker there have been more then enough reasons for fans not to be pleased with the so called "Progress" of our HC

Not even going to get into this disaster of a PK ,, That somehow after nearly 60 games is somehow continues to get worse

The forwards have been a disaster since JC changed the lines up. And yes, the PK is in contention to be one of the worst in the history of the NHL

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Okay, it's obvious that (as usual) you made a snap decision that JC is a terrible coach pretty much from day 1 of his hiring. Most reasonable people would give his evaluation some time but that doesn't seem to be in your MO.
My question is this: If JC manages to turn this team around in a year or so will you change your tune and give him the credit? Unfortunately, we already know the answer.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The forwards have been a disaster since JC changed the lines up. And yes, the PK is in contention to be one of the worst in the history of the NHL
might as well find out those problems and fix them before next season.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
My question is this: If JC manages to turn this team around in a year or so will you change your tune and give him the credit? Unfortunately, we already know the answer.
It will be hard to give him full credit since there will be more new additions that improve the depth of the team (like Strome, Perlini, Caggulia + FAs), which was the real problem for the last few years.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It will be hard to give him full credit since there will be more new additions that improve the depth of the team (like Strome, Perlini, Caggulia + FAs), which was the real problem for the last few years.

LOL. Yes, it will always be more difficult for some folks here to admit it if JC proves to be a good coach. :winkwink:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
LOL. Yes, it will always be more difficult for some folks here to admit it if JC proves to be a good coach. :winkwink:
Not saying he won't be, or that he isn't. But the depth of the team has been the biggest issue and it looks to be slowly getting fixed. Strome, Perlini, Caggulia, is much better depth than Hayden, Schmaltz, and the AHL talent we had instead earlier in the season. Next year hopefully they can improve on Kunitz, Kruger and get a better Dman as well.

Reactions: BobbyJet

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
just on early snap judgements, IMO - I think JC is better than Q at recognizing what offensive players work better with each other and where to put them to better the team and themselves. Meaning putting Gus on pp1 - Kane and Cat together 5x5 and pp1.. I liked what I saw for the most part with our forward group.

where JC is still lacking at will come from more experience is his matchups for the most part have been meh to okay..he has been caught numerous times with the 4th line on the ice against teams #1 lines WITH Seabs out there on the defense as well..that simply can't happen. Q was very strong in this regard and where IMO he shined the most. I think both Q and JC struggled this year and prior for Q with our defensive pairings. JC needs to improve here, start putting the best guys together regardless of years of service/contracts and build a winner. Q was hit or miss with this as well Kempny, Daley, Leddy - etc - you can make cases for all of those guys.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
just on early snap judgements, IMO - I think JC is better than Q at recognizing what offensive players work better with each other and where to put them to better the team and themselves. Meaning putting Gus on pp1 - Kane and Cat together 5x5 and pp1.. I liked what I saw for the most part with our forward group..
I'm still not sure on this. I mean, he put Strome with Kampf and Perlini, that is one of the dumbest lines I've seen in a while. Should have kept Strome and Cat together, or put Strome with actual top 6 players instead of wasting games with that ridiculous combo. Kane and Cat also hasn't been met with the greatest of resultsfrom what I remember. I could be wrong, but I don't believe they have been very productive together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad