JC'S Change Tracker - Pt 2

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
According to Natural Stat Trick, Gustafsson has allowed the most 5v5 high danger chances in the NHL among defensemen and Patrick Kane has by far allowed the most among forwards.

Keith and Toews are each second at their respective positions.

Reactions: Enyaw

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
According to Natural Stat Trick, Gustafsson has allowed the most 5v5 high danger chances in the NHL among defensemen and Patrick Kane has by far allowed the most among forwards.

Michael Kempny has more than Seabrook as well.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
It’s almost like it’s hard to adjust when you make major fundemental changes to your defensive system mid season with very few practices.

And when your defense already kinda sucks. Lol.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Makes sense since JC runs Gus and Kane together most of the time.

Can't say I agree with that strategy.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Our roster doesn’t look like the worst roster in the league but their analytics definitely do. They can score but they can’t keep the puck out of their net. I would go as far to say that this team will not be successful until Jokiharju and maybe Murphy are the only two current D left. Keith’s game has fallen off a cliff.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Our roster doesn’t look like the worst roster in the league but their analytics definitely do. They can score but they can’t keep the puck out of their net. I would go as far to say that this team will not be successful until Jokiharju and maybe Murphy are the only two current D left. Keith’s game has fallen off a cliff.

I think Keith is salvageable but I also thing he could be better off being traded to a contender. Part of what made him great was his compete level and it is not coming out now as the team is not playing for anything.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I think Keith is salvageable but I also thing he could be better off being traded to a contender. Part of what made him great was his compete level and it is not coming out now as the team is not playing for anything.
Defensively he isn’t the same and he doesnt generate enough offense from the back

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I don't understand why Colliton has his 3rd best D in the doghouse constantly. It is approaching Q levels of annoyance. If Q did this he'd be roasted and rightfully so. JC should not be treated any differently. I'm going to roast JC Tomorrow if Joki is scratched.

From Powers’ latest article:

Colliton made it sound as if he were leaning towards beginning to rotate his more inexperienced defensemen. He had been asked about whether he thought playing Jokiharju too much could be an issue too.

“Yeah, I’m not sure the way to go is to play them until they drowned,” Colliton said. “I don’t think that’s the way to go. I think we try to give them what they can handle and sometimes maybe give them less than they can handle while giving them feedback whether it’s off-ice work or video work or extra practice time. That can be part of the picture.

“We could end up with a rotation on defense with some of the young guys we have. That wouldn’t be a bad thing either. We have some young players it’s tough to play 82 games at this level against top competition night in and night out. It could be an option to lighten the load somewhat.”

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
From Powers’ latest article:

Colliton made it sound as if he were leaning towards beginning to rotate his more inexperienced defensemen. He had been asked about whether he thought playing Jokiharju too much could be an issue too.

“Yeah, I’m not sure the way to go is to play them until they drowned,” Colliton said. “I don’t think that’s the way to go. I think we try to give them what they can handle and sometimes maybe give them less than they can handle while giving them feedback whether it’s off-ice work or video work or extra practice time. That can be part of the picture.

“We could end up with a rotation on defense with some of the young guys we have. That wouldn’t be a bad thing either. We have some young players it’s tough to play 82 games at this level against top competition night in and night out. It could be an option to lighten the load somewhat.”
Well I can't say I disagree with JC's rationale.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
seems like Joker is getting the Nutivaara treatment...a number of breaks in between his first pro season. I don't know how much I agree with it, he sees the kid in practice/morning skate - if he looks tired then you do what you have to do...but when the f*** is any of these reporters going to ask JC about Sealsbrook and when his ass gets sat for atrocious play?? you can't sit Joker if you think he needs rest then still stand behind the bench and with your own 2 eyes stare at that lumbering carcass on the ice for more than 2 minutes and NOT go he needs to be benched...I want to like you jC, but if you can't sit Seabrook then you are nothing but a puppet.

SnakePlissken

Jun 16, 2015
It’s almost like it’s hard to adjust when you make major fundemental changes to your defensive system mid season with very few practices.

And when your defense already kinda sucks. Lol.

Did you really expect it to be this bad? As for the D, we've jettisoned two guys we had at the beginning of the year who, to be kind, weren't useful (Rutta, Mad Dog) and gotten a presumed top 4 guy back from injury (Murphy).

When is it reasonable to expect it to be better?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I don't understand why Colliton has his 3rd best D in the doghouse constantly. It is approaching Q levels of annoyance. If Q did this he'd be roasted and rightfully so. JC should not be treated any differently. I'm going to roast JC Tomorrow if Joki is scratched.

No one is defending it.

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
For a progressive coach that is in tune to using analytics, JC's handling of the D right now is baffling. Especially given how he was using Seabs less and less, now all of the sudden using Keith/Seabs as the 1st pair.

Maybe he's just hoping they can rekindle even a spark of their former chemistry and get to a point they aren't a complete liability out there? Maybe they want to frustrate Keith into requesting a trade? I really don't know.

idontusethisanymore

This is joshprost99
Apr 6, 2016

I'm looking forward to your roast. Let me know when it's complete.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I'm looking forward to your roast. Let me know when it's complete.
Sorry for the delay, but....
JC shouldn't be jerking around Joki. That is a horrible decision. While I agree with not burning out a 19 year old who hasn't played 82 games, Seabrook and Keith need a break at 33 and 35 respectively, especially when they've played more games over the last 10 seasons, regular season and postseason combined, than any other D in the league. They need fresh legs, Joki doesn't." Get used to it, kid." is what I would say if I were JC. If they want to take a look at some of the other D for evaluation purposes, 2 and 7 should be the ones sitting. This is a lost season, and every game is valuable experience for Joki. The only thing Keith and Seabrook are gaining are stats and wear and tear. Joki is an important part of the future and he should not be sitting for the remainder of the season. Sit Keith and Seabrook every time a D needs to be scratched. If any D need more games to see what they have, sit Keith and Seabrook. If there are 3 games per week for the remainder of the season, Keith should play two and Seabrook one. I'm not sitting Joki unless he comes to JC and asks for a day off or something.
/endrant

Reactions: joshprost99

idontusethisanymore

This is joshprost99
Apr 6, 2016
Sorry for the delay, but....
JC shouldn't be jerking around Joki. That is a horrible decision. While I agree with not burning out a 19 year old who hasn't played 82 games, Seabrook and Keith need a break at 33 and 35 respectively, especially when they've played more games over the last 10 seasons, regular season and postseason combined, than any other D in the league. They need fresh legs, Joki doesn't." Get used to it, kid." is what I would say if I were JC. If they want to take a look at some of the other D for evaluation purposes, 2 and 7 should be the ones sitting. This is a lost season, and every game is valuable experience for Joki. The only thing Keith and Seabrook are gaining are stats and wear and tear. Joki is an important part of the future and he should not be sitting for the remainder of the season. Sit Keith and Seabrook every time a D needs to be scratched. If any D need more games to see what they have, sit Keith and Seabrook. If there are 3 games per week for the remainder of the season, Keith should play two and Seabrook one. I'm not sitting Joki unless he comes to JC and asks for a day off or something.
/endrant

Great job!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad