Speculation: JC and Hawks scouts at Sharks/Avs game

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
EK65 is obviously who they are looking at. Unfortunately he looks like old EK65 last game and so far tonight.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
This is interesting because leading up to the trade deadline there was lots of scouting activity between the Hawks and both of these teams.

I wonder if something fell through and now there's renewed interest...

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Interesting that a head coach is taking in a game with the scouts. Always the possibility that he and the Hawks brass want him to catch some playoff games first hand. See the type of intensity that the Hawks will need to be prepared to play like. Could also be to evaluate a player not named Erik.

But who the f*** am I kidding, they're looking at EK.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
EK65 is obviously who they are looking at. Unfortunately he looks like old EK65 last game and so far tonight.
You really think so? Both teams have some depth players on expiring contracts. I’d be shocked if EK65 was being looked at considering there’s not much room on the backend.

Unless someone’s getting traded.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I would say there was a chance that he was scouting Pavelski, but seems little Joe hasn't come back from that injury he sustained in game 7 vs Vegas.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I'm not totally against EK. Just for the contract I'd be comfortable with, I don't think we'd be very competitive with other offers.

Anyway if they truly are looking at him, that is part of their job. Just like how Hawks scout every prospect in the draft even if they know they're not taking them. So even if they're not seriously pursuing him, it's part of the job to do their homework.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Seeing all of the negative publicity about the Hawks, it’s hard to believe they would just tolerate it and keep building. Hopefully they don’t do this. I’d rather they outbid everyone for Panarin than sign Karlsson.

The one sure positive would be Boqvist getting to learn from him. Gotta find something to hang our hats on if this is in fact possible.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
They're just trying to enjoy a night out with The Boys™

In all seriousness, there are a lot of UFA's coming out of San Jose this season (as of this writing)

In order of preference

Donskoi
Pavelski
Thornton
Nyquist
EK65

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Possible they swap picks with Colorado as part of a larger deal? Barrie/Zadorov + 4th overall and Colorado takes Byram with 3rd. Hawks take Turcotte. Guess there would be a plus to 3rd pick.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Possible they swap picks with Colorado as part of a larger deal? Barrie/Zadorov + 4th overall and Colorado takes Byram with 3rd. Hawks take Turcotte. Guess there would be a plus to 3rd pick.
Byram > Barrie/Zadorov

I wouldn't do it. Unless you know for sure Colorado wants to draft someone else at 3rd. Then it's an easy yes because you get a free top 4 defender and still get Byram.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Would love EK, only if Seabrook was gone..

But we also don't have a LD DFD who plays a simple game to pair with him. That's who he would work with best (Methot/Dillon). Dahlstrom is the closest guy.. and we have Gus who's able to provide his offense.

Keith-Jokiharju
Dahlstrom-Karlsson
Gus-Murphy

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Makes a ton of sense and is good asset management to sign EK then trade Gus for a 1st.

Bonus points If packaging that 1st with Seabs+ and you’re out of a bad spot in a big way.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Barrie is a year away from UFA (No Thanks) and Zadorov though interesting isn't enough to justify moving down and as RFA will be looking for longterm deal

Rather Hawks just grabbed Byram

Makes a ton of sense and is good asset management to sign EK then trade Gus for a 1st.

Bonus points If packaging that 1st with Seabs+ and you’re out of a bad spot in a big way.

Giving EK a big longterm contract makes no sense and is not good management of cap

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Would love EK, only if Seabrook was gone..

But we also don't have a LD DFD who plays a simple game to pair with him. That's who he would work with best (Methot/Dillon). Dahlstrom is the closest guy.. and we have Gus who's able to provide his offense.

Keith-Jokiharju
Dahlstrom-Karlsson
Gus-Murphy

EK is the next Seabrook. 7M x 5 years is probably fair all things considered. He’ll get more than that though.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
so many options to look at even in the fantasy world which i love to participate in

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
He's going to get way more than that in years and AAV

Agreed. I’m trying to illustrate how bad that contract is going to be. There was a poll awhile back and the consensus was something like 11M AAV over 7 years. That would be a disaster before he even takes the ice because he’s nowhere near an 11M player and the term is an even bigger issue.

What confuses me is why any team would give him a big deal. Everyone can see the impact the injuries have had. I feel bad for him because he played through that ankle injury in the Sens Cup run a few years ago and they didn’t take care of him on the backend.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad