Prospect Info: Jayden Struble Part 2

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Played another good game. I thought Struble was our best player against Canes. Hard to believe he's passed Guhle and Barron. They struggled defensively tonight.
Struble should never again play in the AHL unless it's for a playoff run for Laval after the Habs season ends.
I feel for Guhle being paired with Barron.
Remember Struble is being played against bottom line players while Guhle is playing against top line players.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Struble should never again play in the AHL unless it's for a playoff run for Laval after the Habs season ends.
I feel for Guhle being paired with Barron.
Remember Struble is being played against bottom line players while Guhle is playing against top line players.
If anything good comes out of this year we can look back and appreciate the development of Struble and Slafkovsky’s into impactful NHLers.

In Struble’s case his combination of mobility, physical strength and on ice vision make him a strong and steady defenceman. He closes the gap as well as any of our defencemen. His strength on his skates is impressive, similar to the much larger Slafkovsky, when Struble initiated contact with an opponent, that opponent is generally neutralized.

Both of these players will be important pieces of this franchise for the next decade.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Money and time are in short supply. Nowadays both parents work to have a lesser standard of living than back when only one parent worked. Commute times and paperwork piles are longer as well.
Agreed, I'm fortunate enough to be in a situation where I'm able to have my daughter involved in many different activities. I see a lot of young kids who unfortunately, aren't able to.

When I was a kid, I was involved in sports all year round. My parents helped out a great deal both financially and with their time. I don't know how they did it with two of us.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I think Struble is slowly passing a lot of guys on the depth chart. I wouldn't be anywhere near as bold to say he's close to Guhle considering he plays six minutes less per night and against the weakest competition of all our D pairs, but I think he's shown more than Harris this year. I think there needs to be considerations to move on from Matheson as our left side gets clogged. Barron on the other hand is struggling defensively with the minutes he gets by proxy of playing with Guhle.

It will be interesting if Hughes chooses to trade any of his former clients in Harris, Struble or Matheson, when Guhle and Xhekaj are clearly better "fits" for playoff success. It's a shame none of Guhle, Struble or Xhekaj are RD with Hutson coming in. I don't envy Hughes' job, as he's going to be blamed no matter who he trades if they end up becoming better than any of our in house choices.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I can't help but think that Struble is a legit 2nd pairing dman with top-pairing ability - in a defensive mold. He wins all his battles, strong on his skates, good vision and very calm decision making. He's better than Guhle whether people want to admit it or not.

Some thoughts:

1. Matheson's ice time should be curtailed in favor of Struble. Matheson should be tried as a RHD with Struble.
2. Guhle should be paired with Savard
3. Barron should be in the AHL or traded. He's a lost cause IMO.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He sure is doing a better job at being an actual defenseman than Barron is, that much is very clear. Struble has even been chipping in a few points now, which is the one edge Barron had over him. Having too many options is a great problem to have in any case, I'm glad he's doing so good.

Reactions: rik schau

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He sure is doing a better job at being an actual defenseman than Barron is, that much is very clear. Struble has even been chipping in a few points now, which is the one edge Barron had over him. Having too many options is a great problem to have in any case, I'm glad he's doing so good.
There is no comparing Struble / Barron. Struble is a LHD and Barron a RHD. At the moment, we don't have sufficient depth at RHD and as a result Barron is playing and in over his head.

Barron needs to go back to Laval to regain confidence and to work on his defensive game.

Reactions: Tyson and rik schau

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
There is no comparing Struble / Barron. Struble is a LHD and Barron a RHD. At the moment, we don't have sufficient depth at RHD and as a result Barron is playing and in over his head.

Barron needs to go back to Laval to regain confidence and to work on his defensive game.
Barron is not NHL ready on the D side.

Reactions: Runner77

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I think Barron’s game is good enough for him to continue developing in the NHL. He’s coming along just fine.

Young blueliners have bumpy roads when first coming up. Happened with the Eric Desjardins/Matthieu Schneider group too. We’re a rebuilding club. Might as well give them the ice.

Reactions: jaffy27

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I can't help but think that Struble is a legit 2nd pairing dman with top-pairing ability - in a defensive mold. He wins all his battles, strong on his skates, good vision and very calm decision making. He's better than Guhle whether people want to admit it or not.

Some thoughts:

1. Matheson's ice time should be curtailed in favor of Struble. Matheson should be tried as a RHD with Struble.
2. Guhle should be paired with Savard
3. Barron should be in the AHL or traded. He's a lost cause IMO.
It would be incredible if Struble were a top 4 D, and/or if he is just as good on the right as the left. I look forward to seeing how he does on the right when he's inevitably tried there.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don't understand the assumption that Barron will not improve his defensive game.
Has Matheson improved his much? There are plenty of examples of Dmen who make little improvement on the Dside.
Barron isn't winning the pros vs cons battle. I question if Matheson is winning his at least in the seat he occupies.

Reactions: Levard

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
He has been a game changer on our D. Such a stabilising force.

He will be a true number 3. Top PK, defensively sound, lot of mobility and great in transition. Can play against team top opposition night in night out. Strong athlete.

A perfect player to complement our upcoming Hutson, Reinbacher and already there Guhle.

Reactions: the valiant effort

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Does this mean we will trade Kovacevich?
They don't have to make the move now if they plan to trade Savard at the deadline. But realistically even without Savard Matheson, Guhle, Struble, Harris, Barron, Xhekaj are ahead of him, so that makes him a 7th defenseman even with Savard gone, without accounting for Reinbacher/Hutson/Engstrom/Mailloux/Konyushkov/Trudeau

Reactions: WinterLion

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Yeah, who could have known Struble was one of our top prospects?

Shocking.

(NOT)

Still remember all the Harris fanboys last few years doubting Struble could ever be better than him.

Reactions: LesCanadiens

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
He's looking like he might turn into a 2nd pairing d man. it's been fun watching him grow this year. I'm curious how he looks next year.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Yeah, who could have known Struble was one of our top prospects?

Shocking.

(NOT)

Still remember all the Harris fanboys last few years doubting Struble could ever be better than him.

Very few people follow the NCAA.

At this time last year, people were vastly more excited about Farrell than about Struble.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Very few people follow the NCAA.

At this time last year, people were vastly more excited about Farrell than about Struble.

Which made complete sense.
Farrell had the 2nd best ppg in the NCAA last year (only behind Fantili), whereas Struble had his worst offensive year. Farrell was a lot more dominant college player than Struble.

Struble has had an easier transition to the pros.

Reactions: DAChampion

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5