Prospect Info: Jayden Struble Part 2

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Ramonov is also a very good skater as Strube is but his first option is hitting, if it doesn'nt work, he is in trouble. In other hand, Strube follow the oppenent, pushing and using the stick to get the puck. I find Strube's style is far more effective than Ramonov's. Strube can be a perfect partner in 1st pair .
there just two different style of player, Struble is looking good but maybe we are getting excited, not sure about him being on a 1st pair even less if you considering the situation we have Guhle and Matheson in from if him and no one on the RD that a 1st pairing guy that need a partner. Romanov is playing 22m+ on a playoff team getting no PP, Romanov issue is that the offence isn’t up to expectations when you see him skate, there likely the same calibre of player.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The most surprising thing about him for me is how good his outlets are. He's patient with the puck & makes the best play to an open player. He doesn't just randomly shoot it up the boards, and never panics with puck. He's better at outlets than Barron who tends to freeze / hesitate far too often then gives the puck away.

A quality depth player for sure. His physicality is a nice add to the blueline too. He's a physical beast.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
The most surprising thing about him for me is how good his outlets are. He's patient with the puck & makes the best play to an open player. He doesn't just randomly shoot it up the boards, and never panics with puck. He's better at outlets than Barron who tends to freeze / hesitate far too often then gives the puck away.

A quality depth player for sure. His physicality is a nice add to the blueline too. He's a physical beast.
I agree, but at this point in time, I would say he has been able to do when playing against weak(er) opposition. We have not seen a lot of him against top players, but the few times he did, I thought he struggled a little bit. It makes sense though and it doesn't mean he won't get there, but for the moment the slow, 3rd pairing with limited minutes approach seems like the right one.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
People can't seem to compartmentalize the skating skill. There are different aspects of skating you can judge. I don't pretend to be a good evaluator, but I can understand how one player can be elite at one part of skating and still be a bad skater.

Lane has good edgework which he uses with his deception and stick work to fool opponents. However, he is not an explosive skater (he barely creates any separation when he manages to fake opponents) and he cannot keep pace with opposing forwards rushing at him, especially in a backward stance.

Subban was Powerful and, early in his career, could have enough acceleration to rush it up ice (although to be fair it was not a great success rate as he kept turning it over), but was not overly fast or efficient in his stride.

Also, keep in mind MrBip is the same guy who made a fool of himself as early as this offseason repeatedly calling Petry a better skater than Matheson. Take his opinion with a dead sea of salt.
Petry was a much better skater than Matheson though wtf are you on about?

Matheson is fast but his fourway mobility is nowhere as good as Jeff, its also a very good reason why MM isnt as good in the offensive zone.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
People can't seem to compartmentalize the skating skill. There are different aspects of skating you can judge. I don't pretend to be a good evaluator, but I can understand how one player can be elite at one part of skating and still be a bad skater.

Lane has good edgework which he uses with his deception and stick work to fool opponents. However, he is not an explosive skater (he barely creates any separation when he manages to fake opponents) and he cannot keep pace with opposing forwards rushing at him, especially in a backward stance.

Subban was Powerful and, early in his career, could have enough acceleration to rush it up ice (although to be fair it was not a great success rate as he kept turning it over), but was not overly fast or efficient in his stride.

Also, keep in mind MrBip is the same guy who made a fool of himself as early as this offseason repeatedly calling Petry a better skater than Matheson. Take his opinion with a dead sea of salt.
I don't care about the discussion, but Petry is definitrly a better skater than Matheson. Petry is the smoothest, most effortless skater I've ever seen live. It's a thing of beauty.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Petry was a much better skater than Matheson though wtf are you on about?

Matheson is fast but his fourway mobility is nowhere as good as Jeff, its also a very good reason why MM isnt as good in the offensive zone.
I agree, three years ago. But today and over the balance of Matheson’s contract, Matheson is, and will remain, the superior skater and player over the rapidly diminishing Petry. For the two to three years before that famous Cup run, Petry was Montreal’s most important player. He was horribly underrated by segments of our fan base. But that was then. There is no comparison in these two players’ level of play today.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I agree, three years ago. But today and over the balance of Matheson’s contract, Matheson is, and will remain, the superior skater and player over the rapidly diminishing Petry. For the two to three years before that famous Cup run, Petry was Montreal’s most important player. He was horribly underrated by segments of our fan base. But that was then. There is no comparison in these two players’ level of play today.
Well of course Petry is 38 and broken down.

I don't care about the discussion, but Petry is definitrly a better skater than Matheson. Petry is the smoothest, most effortless skater I've ever seen live. It's a thing of beauty.
What a weird take as its pretty evident Petry was insanely smooth.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Agreed, Matheson is and always was a better skater than Petry, it isn't even debatable and Petry was a very good skater. Matheson may be the best skating dman in the entire league and if not then he is definitely in the conversation.

The entire reason Florida locked him up immediately was because of his elite skating which is why they tagged him as the next Duncan Keith.

Reactions: mdk and Naslund

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
His offensive game can be there, it's not like the Canadiens management are going to unleash him just like that. He has the skating and edgework to be going up on the rushes but it's not needed today being a 3rd pairing defenceman this early in his career. Him being an impact player on the 3rd pairing does speak volumes thus far

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Well of course Petry is 38 and broken down.
Yes, but at the time of the trade, even Hellen Keller could see that Petry was a fading force. Hence, why Hextall (at least one of the reasons) was fired and Hughes remains at the helm of the good ship Canadiens.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Absolutely. Rarely do I see Struble turn back on himself when pressured. Barron Matheson and Guhle do that thinking they can ecape against the flow it rarely works and the optics are bad. The thing I like about Struble is when he does force a play the end result is usually out of our zone. But his decision making is light years ahead of Barron and the puck is almost always travelling in the right direction. What is not to like about that.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Agreed, Matheson is and always was a better skater than Petry, it isn't even debatable and Petry was a very good skater. Matheson may be the best skating dman in the entire league and if not then he is definitely in the conversation.

The entire reason Florida locked him up immediately was because of his elite skating which is why they tagged him as the next Duncan Keith.
🤣 esti

Reactions: bcv

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Another gift from the Maestro administration. I always knew Struble was a beauty ever since the first 10 sec video I saw of him skating in transition. That combo of smooth skating and muscle is rare.

If he can fight and become great at outlet passes, he'll be a top pairing defenseman.

I want BOTH Struble and Xhekaj on our blueline. Never enough toughness at defense.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Another gift from the Maestro administration. I always knew Struble was a beauty ever since the first 10 sec video I saw of him skating in transition. That combo of smooth skating and muscle is rare.

If he can fight and become great at outlet passes, he'll be a top pairing defenseman.

I want BOTH Struble and Xhekaj on our blueline. Never enough toughness at defense.
Both also bring strong leadership attributes and the promise of some offensive skill. They, along with Florian Xhekaj, Slafkovsky and Anderson, will make Montreal a much more difficult and unpleasant team to play against in the near future.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Both also bring strong leadership attributes and the promise of some offensive skill. They, along with Florian Xhekaj, Slafkovsky and Anderson, will make Montreal a much more difficult and unpleasant team to play against in the near future.

Yes indeed, and add Kirby Dach to the mix, who was playing increasingly physical before his injury.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Yes indeed, and add Kirby Dach to the mix, who was playing increasingly physical before his injury.
The new Canadiens: fast , skilled and physically aggressive. What could be a better Christmas present?

Just go back to those 90 seconds when Struble physically destroyed those poor Black Hawks players. That 90 second episode sucked the life out of both the Black Hawks and their fans. Was it surprising that we cruised to a rather easy 5-2 victory?

Fast, skilled and physically aggressive. What could be finer?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The new Canadiens: fast , skilled and physically aggressive. What could be a better Christmas present?

Just go back to those 90 seconds when Struble physically destroyed those poor Black Hawks players. That 90 second episode sucked the life out of both the Black Hawks and their fans. Was it surprising that we cruised to a rather easy 5-2 victory?

Fast, skilled and physically aggressive. What could be finer?

Exactly right, and especially after 2 decades of being smurfs and weaklings trying to emulate the Red Wings when we had no players to emulate that style at all, complete lack of vision.

The legendary teams from the '50s to the '70s had both toughness, speed and skills.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
This kid seems to have fixed his lingering groin issues he had in college (touching wood). If he can stay healthy we have a good one, his combination of speed, strength and smarts are extremely rare.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I still think we need to trade some of these D soon for additional help up front, I don’t think we need the game breaker as much anymore and would actually love to go after a young top 6 fwd. in a similar mood to the Dach and new hook trade and look to resign Monahan in the new year

With that said, struble has done a great job and I wouldn’t be as open to trying him as I was

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad