Prospect Info: Jayden Struble, LD, St. Sebastians, Pick 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Man, he looks like he can start playing now lol

At 17 he is what I was at 20......unless he’s got Beaulieu’s brain, I can see this kid making it.

He’s got wheels, a motor, offensive flair and a passion to hit and hurt, now there’s a blend I love to see in my D.

In Timmins interview, it seemed Struble had to lay off on the physicality part as he was too strong for where he was playing. Can’t wait to see him unleash the Kraken, will be fun to follow for sure.

I guess too strong, but HS hockey doesn't like big hits.

Reactions: jaffy27

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Im looking at a Lefty PK Subban lol

Thank you. I'm glad someone else saw it. I watched that vid just about when you commented and I'm thinking "i'm pretty drunk but is this kid young Subban without the big slapper?"

Man regardless of where we could've have gotten him, that looks like a pretty dynamic player there. Pretty clear he has legit upside. Nice to see after the dust settles that we got some nice upside picks.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Thank you. I'm glad someone else saw it. I watched that vid just about when you commented and I'm thinking "i'm pretty drunk but is this kid young Subban without the big slapper?"

Man regardless of where we could've have gotten him, that looks like a pretty dynamic player there. Pretty clear he has legit upside. Nice to see after the dust settles that we got some nice upside picks.

He is a much better skater than Subban ever was. Not saying he will be as good but this kid can fly.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Love the pick. Home run potential here. I'm always fine with drafting based on upside especially in the second round. Love it!

Reactions: dralaf

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
wow he's got swagger. kid has real upside.

I knew nothing about Struble before we picked him. But the more I look into him and watch video, the more I like. His confidence and style of play reminds me a Subban. Doesn't turn 18 till Aug too so he has a lot of room to grow.

Solid size and plays physical with intensity. Likes to join the rush and has very good skill and skating. We could have a good one here. Lets see where he plays next year and how he looks half way through the season

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
A better Skater than Subban ever was? :scared:

A better Skater than Subban ever was? :scared:

Subban has good edges but he is not fast. This was a huge reason why he wasn't rated that high in his draft class. He gets destroyed routinely in races back towards his end. Most people are fooled by his rushes but need to realize that he always sets them up so that the other team is set and not moving their feet. He relies on his edges and strength to wind around opponents as opposed to blowing past them and is very effective in doing so.

The Rangers absolutely exploited his lack of foot speed in the playoffs as they routinely blew past him and beat him to dump ins. Subban looks like he is trying to run on his skates when his is skating straight ahead and the results are not good. His problems were well documented in junior and he never was able to improve to any substantial degree.

Struble is explosive and fast, much more so than P.K. and can blow by opponents with straight line acceleration. Not hating on Subban but there is a myth amongst fans that he is fast that is not at all shared in the scouting community.

Reactions: Chr1s97 and dralaf

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Subban has good edges but he is not fast. This was a huge reason why he wasn't rated that high in his draft class. He gets destroyed routinely in races back towards his end. Most people are fooled by his rushes but need to realize that he always sets them up so that the other team is set and not moving their feet. He relies on his edges and strength to wind around opponents as opposed to blowing past them and is very effective in doing so.

The Rangers absolutely exploited his lack of foot speed in the playoffs as they routinely blew past him and beat him to dump ins. Subban looks like he is trying to run on his skates when his is skating straight ahead and the results are not good. His problems were well documented in junior and he never was able to improve to any substantial degree.

Struble is explosive and fast, much more so than P.K. and can blow by opponents with straight line acceleration. Not hating on Subban but there is a myth amongst fans that he is fast that is not at all shared in the scouting community.

I'm not willing to say Struble is the better skater vs Subban at this stage. I agree Subban had great edges but he had above average speed. His speed is not the same today though as it was when he came into the league. He added a lot of weight at one point which slowed him down a notch

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I'm not willing to say Struble is the better skater vs Subban at this stage. I agree Subban had great edges but he had above average speed. His speed is not the same today though as it was when he came into the league. He added a lot of weight at one point which slowed him down a notch

I am sure there are still old scouting reports that will bring up his foot speed concerns. I have friends that used to disagree with me until they watched the games with me. They were shocked to see how bad he was when he had to chase the puck. His speed is an illusion as he only beats people by winding through them with his edges and strength. He is a below average skater in a straight line.

Struble would absolutely crush Subban in a straight line race.

You and I seem to agree on a lot of stuff so we might have to chalk this up to difference of opinion.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I am sure there are still old scouting reports that will bring up his foot speed concerns. I have friends that used to disagree with me until they watched the games with me. They were shocked to see how bad he was when he had to chase the puck. His speed is an illusion as he only beats people by winding through them with his edges and strength. He is a below average skater in a straight line.

Struble would absolutely crush Subban in a straight line race.

You and I seem to agree on a lot of stuff so we might have to chalk this up to difference of opinion.

It's all good. I just remember how Subban looked at the WJC and his skating stood out to me when I compared his skating to everybody in the that tournament. Maybe Struble is the faster skater but overall, I don't see a huge difference.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What's the rumors on where Sruble will play next year? If he don't make the NCAA roster, I would hope he does not play BCHL as a 18 year old?

Drafted in 2017 by both the Storm and Armada. Any chance he plays CHL? When do they lose his rights? I recall him saying in one interview after being drafted that it's undecided where he will play next year and he gave a very short answer.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
What's the rumors on where Sruble will play next year? If he don't make the NCAA roster, I would hope he does not play BCHL as a 18 year old?

Drafted in 2017 by both the Storm and Armada. Any chance he plays CHL? When do they lose his rights? I recall him saying in one interview after being drafted that it's undecided where he will play next year and he gave a very short answer.

Has he even been admitted to school yet? Has he even graduated highschool yet?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Has he even been admitted to school yet? Has he even graduated highschool yet?

Not sure, that's why I asked. He is 18 in Aug so was this past season his senior HS year or is that next year? Would it be disruptive for him to come to the CHL and finish his senior HS year?

Elite Prospects has him as BCHL next year and NCCA the year after. Very curious to see where he plays next year.

Nice to see you back. Where have you been? I was pretty pissed we didn't take Dorofeyev

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Not sure, that's why I asked. He is 18 in Aug so was this past season his senior HS year or is that next year? Would it be disruptive for him to come to the CHL and finish his senior HS year?

Elite Prospects has him as BCHL next year and NCCA the year after. Very curious to see where he plays next year.

Nice to see you back. Where have you been?

In some school districts in the US he would have been in grade 11 this year, as Bobby Brink was. I'm not sure about Jayden's case, but he's played USHS-Prep for 3 seasons now.

I would have thought that an institution like Northeastern would have finished enrollments by now, though.

I was pretty pissed we didn't take Dorofeyev

You best believe I'll be bringing the atoadasos when Dorofeyev's tearing it up in the show a few years down the road. Passed on him 3 times.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
In some school districts in the US he would have been in grade 11 this year, as Bobby Brink was. I'm not sure about Jayden's case, but he's played USHS-Prep for 3 seasons now.

I would have thought that an institution like Northeastern would have finished enrollments by now, though.

You best believe I'll be bringing the atoadasos when Dorofeyev's tearing it up in the show a few years down the road. Passed on him 3 times.

Something to watch out for with Struble in terms of where he plays. Very curious

Passing up on Dorofeyev 3 times when we clearly need LW scoring help in our prospect pool (even with Caufield) is dumb.

I think I would be more happy if we had Newhook, Struble, and Dorofeyev to be honest and I do like Caufied a lot. Just think Newhook is the better all around player.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Whoa, can he ever skate!!!

He got's tools in the tool box for sure and doesn't turn 18 till Aug. We might of hit on another 2nd round pick and that would be 3 years in a row. Very impressive if Struble is top 4D NHL quality.

Lets see where he plays and how he looks at the mid point of next season

Reactions: FrankMTL

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Something to watch out for with Struble in terms of where he plays. Very curious

Passing up on Dorofeyev 3 times when we clearly need LW scoring help in our prospect pool (even with Caufield) is dumb.

I think I would be more happy if we had Newhook, Struble, and Dorofeyev to be honest and I do like Caufied a lot. Just think Newhook is the better all around player.
Exactly how I felt. Even though many of the picks are good, this draft could have been better with less tunnel vision. They also might have combined their two second-round picks to make a pitch for Kaliyev or Brink. I hope that Dorofeyev proves all naysayers wrong. I think that if they put a number on each of the top 300-400 on their list, one could easily write a deep learning program that alerts TT as to when it is worth trading up, based on highly valued options dropping on draft day and historical combinations of draft-day trades. I cannot believe a program like that would not flash an alert with Kaliyev dropping out of round 1 and Dorofeyev still there at 77.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Exactly how I felt. Even though many of the picks are good, this draft could have been better with less tunnel vision. They also might have combined their two second-round picks to make a pitch for Kaliyev or Brink. I hope that Dorofeyev proves all naysayers wrong. I think that if they put a number on each of the top 300-400 on their list, one could easily write a deep learning program that alerts TT as to when it is worth trading up, based on highly valued options dropping on draft day and historical combinations of draft-day trades. I cannot believe a program like that would not flash an alert with Kaliyev dropping out of round 1 and Dorofeyev still there at 77.

I think they got derailed in their strategy heading into the draft when Caufield slipped to us. I think they were after a LD with our 15th pick for sure and then went into scramble mode after the Struble pick trying to get more LD's. Passing up on some LW scoring help was dumb

We will see if they knew what they were doing. Half way point of next year is the first waive of evaluation where we get to see how these kids grow in their draft +1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad