Waived: Jay Rosehill

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Last time we tried this Giroux kept getting run, to the point that Voracek had to step up and fight somebody, and yes he won, but u don't want that to happen again.

Lost in this Rosehill demotion is that we also lost Hartnell, who essentially was Giroux's protector on the top line. No Hartsy, no Rosie.. Not sure I like where we are with the team toughness. Simmonds and Rinaldo, that's about it. Jones seemed game but not a great fighter, and Schenn will stick up for guys but doesn't fight much. I dunno, we'll see how it goes, but I'd be surprised if we didn't have a "goon" by November on the roster, maybe sooner.

This type of stuff is so overblown it's ridiculous. This isn't the 70's anymore. See Appleyard's post.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
No issue not having rosehill although I wouldn't be surprised if once they know Simmonds is healthy Jones will get sent back down.

Not having an enforcer isn't bothering me as much as how small they are up front. Is anyone besides Vinny bigger then 220lbs?

I thought hexy would u 'd have poached one the Kings many big forward like Nolan, Clifford or Andreoff.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
No issue not having rosehill although I wouldn't be surprised if once they know Simmonds is healthy Jones will get sent back down.

Not having an enforcer isn't bothering me as much as how small they are up front. Is anyone besides Vinny bigger then 220lbs?

I thought hexy would u 'd have poached one the Kings many big forward like Nolan, Clifford or Andreoff.

Well Umberger's 220 lbs. but no I'm not concerned at all. It's not the 90's anymore players are playing lighter in today's NHL. We have handful of guys who are likely over the 200 lbs. mark & use their size effectively.

We also have guys who play bigger than their size would suggest like Rinaldo, Read, Giroux, etc.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
What are the odds he is is back game one or two?? He seems like a great guy from the practice I went to.
I would prefer a solid 4th line without him though.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Voracek is listed at 214. I think Raffl might be 200 now. He looks bigger this year.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I do like that the 4th line can actually play hockey, and I like that when matched against other teams 4th lines, it's skill vs goons, like how LA, and Chi rolled and well they both won cups with that recipe

sda

Feb 18, 2008
Hallelujah, praise Jeebus. With the state the team is at, I don't mind having one guy like Rosehill playing on the fourth line. We already have Rinaldo though and he's not going anywhere most likely and having Rosehill/Rinaldo compose the majority of our fourth line options would make me have mental vomit. Only room for one of those guys, max, if you want to roll a fourth line that can be useful or at least not a total liability.

If people think goons/pure enforcers wins games or that Toronto is a good example to follow they should see where Toronto finished last season, then look at the likes of Orr-McLaren composing their fourth line, then ask Leafs fans what they thought about not being able to roll our four responsible lines as well as how they think that affected the rest of the lineup.

I'm relatively confidant Leafs fans won't be all that happy about it or the fact that their fourth line might be that way again this season.

Orr and Mclaren did not even play with the leafs for most of last season . Leafs were one of the softest teams in the league. Not sure whyanyone thinks different

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Orr and Mclaren did not even play with the leafs for most of last season . Leafs were one of the softest teams in the league. Not sure whyanyone thinks different

Games where Toronto did not feature a goon:

#36. December 17th, vs Florida Panthers
#37. December 19th, vs Phoenix Coyotes
#38. December 21st, vs Detroit Redwings
#61. February 27th, vs New York Islanders
#63. March 3rd, vs Columbus Blue Jackets
#64. March 4th, vs New York Rangers
#66. March 10th, vs Anaheim Ducks
#69. March 16th, vs Washington Capitals
#70. March 17th, vs Detroit Red Wings
#71. March 19th, vs Tampa Bay Lightning
#76. March 29th, vs Detroit Red Wings
#77. April 1st, vs Calgary Flames
#78. April 3rd, vs Boston Bruins
#79. April 5th, vs Winnipeg Jets

So Toronto played a flat out goon in the shape of Orr or McLaren (not counting Carter Ashton or Troy Bodie as goons, they can play hockey at least.) in 68/82 possible games. They played a combined 81 games between them.

In those 81 games they had 0 points between them... and played an average of less than 5:00 a game between them... only once in those 81 games did each of them play more than 10 minutes.

4/14 of the games they did not play a goon when many teams would (Boston, Calgary, Washington and Florida.)

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
no but he is a good player to have when you play toronto or boston . Just to have someone like that you can ice is a good option to have.

Boston got rid of Shawn Thornton, and the Maple Leafs have not proven at any point within the last 10 years that things need to be done to matchup to them. They always have bad players and here we are worried about their worst ones. One of which was once Rosehill.

Rinaldo really gets overrated as a fighter. He is mediocre when he does fight, and recently he's been more concerned about becoming a real hockey player that he doesn't really want to fight.

You guys remember the time when Chris Pronger was the guy who would fight everyone if he had to? Those threads exist.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The Maple Leafs also likely only have Orr as a 13th or 14th forward this year.

Winnik, Santorelli and Kozun are likely the 4th line if the noise coming out of the training camp is to be believed.

If we don't dress a goon they won't... they realised half way through last season it was a massive negative for their team.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
How many teams in the east now even contract a 'heavyweight' on their full time roster?

Orr with Toronto?
Peluso with Winnipeg?
Erskine with Washington?
Islanders with Boulton & Carkner?

McCormick is a middleweight really. Grossmann has beat him.

Neil, Boll and Thornton are inbetween... usually lose to real heavyweights but usually beat middleweights and scrappers, though not like middleweights cannot hang with them... just look at some of the guys who have beaten or gave them good scraps.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Well Umberger's 220 lbs. but no I'm not concerned at all. It's not the 90's anymore players are playing lighter in today's NHL. We have handful of guys who are likely over the 200 lbs. mark & use their size effectively.

We also have guys who play bigger than their size would suggest like Rinaldo, Read, Giroux, etc.

Come on. Read and Giroux? Both are competitive but neither plays bigger. Rinaldo bits like a truck but he isn't wearing dmen down.

I get it's not the 90 but look at the last 3 cup winners Bos, Chi,LA. All had big guys that impose their will on teams especially in the case of Boston and LA.

I admit Akeson and Rinaldo had a good camp but I would rather see better mix of size on the fourth line...not Rosehill but someone like Nolan or Wnnik or Maroon.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Giroux certainly does play bigger than his size suggests, he doesn't go around fighting all the time, but he doesn't play the game acting small

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

See Appleyard's post. I think labeling teams as soft in general is silly, but Toronto's fourth line was goon and liability central last season. It's why they only had two to three capable forward lines on any given night and likely why their scoring was so top-heavy and why they fell apart at the end of last season.

Games where Toronto did not feature a goon:

#36. December 17th, vs Florida Panthers
#37. December 19th, vs Phoenix Coyotes
#38. December 21st, vs Detroit Redwings
#61. February 27th, vs New York Islanders
#63. March 3rd, vs Columbus Blue Jackets
#64. March 4th, vs New York Rangers
#66. March 10th, vs Anaheim Ducks
#69. March 16th, vs Washington Capitals
#70. March 17th, vs Detroit Red Wings
#71. March 19th, vs Tampa Bay Lightning
#76. March 29th, vs Detroit Red Wings
#77. April 1st, vs Calgary Flames
#78. April 3rd, vs Boston Bruins
#79. April 5th, vs Winnipeg Jets

So Toronto played a flat out goon in the shape of Orr or McLaren (not counting Carter Ashton or Troy Bodie as goons, they can play hockey at least.) in 68/82 possible games. They played a combined 81 games between them.

In those 81 games they had 0 points between them... and played an average of less than 5:00 a game between them... only once in those 81 games did each of them play more than 10 minutes.

4/14 of the games they did not play a goon when many teams would (Boston, Calgary, Washington and Florida.)

Thank you Appleyard, tis why you're my favorite poster on this site.

Last edited:

RJ8812*

Good for Toronto. And Dressing a goon has definitely brought them a lot of success. If Toronto wants to waste a roster spot on a goon and effectively ruin their 4th line, that's their problem

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Good for Toronto. And Dressing a goon has definitely brought them a lot of success. If Toronto wants to waste a roster spot on a goon and effectively ruin their 4th line, that's their problem

Don't know who you're referencing here, but as far as I go I'm saying Toronto is a prime example why having goons/enforcers is a pretty bad thing.

RJ8812*

Don't know who you're referencing here, but as far as I go I'm saying Toronto is a prime example why having goons/enforcers is a pretty bad thing.

just referencing to the people that still think we need a goon

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Some serious comedy on the Pens board. The words "perfect pickup" are being used to describe players like Bissonette, Rosehill, Sestito, and Peluso. :biglaugh:

As if any of those guys would deter players from messing with Crosby. It's so obvious to everyone but their fans that the detriment to Crosby's game is worth 10x the "beat down" laid by any such enforcer.

Only way to stop "Crosby abuse", as they call it, is for Crosby to let it go and not affect him. As long as it's such an effective strategy, it will never stop. I love that they don't seem to care at all about fixing the real issue.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Some serious comedy on the Pens board. The words "perfect pickup" are being used to describe players like Bissonette, Rosehill, Sestito, and Peluso. :biglaugh:

As if any of those guys would deter players from messing with Crosby. It's so obvious to everyone but their fans that the detriment to Crosby's game is worth 10x the "beat down" laid by any such enforcer.

Only way to stop "Crosby abuse", as they call it, is for Crosby to let it go and not affect him. As long as it's such an effective strategy, it will never stop. I love that they don't seem to care at all about fixing the real issue.

But that would then require them to assign blame to Crosby, which is forbidden over there.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Crosby gives as well. He's not a gentlemanly player. There are some that exist in the league. He isn't one of them.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Crosby gives as well. He's not a gentlemanly player. There are some that exist in the league. He isn't one of them.

Which is the point. He gives, and when he starts giving, he's thrown off his game. He let's it happen to him. It's really his only flaw.

But that would then require them to assign blame to Crosby, which is forbidden over there.
Good point. But hey, they're actually blaming Lemieux for their problems now, so maybe give it a couple decades.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Couturier, Simmonds, Umberger, Vinny, Jones, Voracek, Coburn, Grossmann, L Schenn.

This team is not small

The forwards are small. The few big forwards with size (Vinny and Umberger) aren't physical. They use their size well but they aren't punishing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad