Player Discussion Jason Zucker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Ok, but how easy is it going to be to trade him if he scores 25-30 goals during each of the 4 years of the deal, and would we even be in the position to make a deal like that?

Teams would be lining up to get him, so a trade wouldn't be hard. The only current players on the team (non-RFA) signed for the 21-22 season (year 4 of his contract) are Parise/Suter (because they'll be here forever), and Nino.

I don't trust the Wild's upcoming center or goalie depth, but they do have some decent looking wing and d-corps prospects. I really think blowing the current team up with the next CBA is a serious option on the table in the mid-term plans.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
A lot would depend on how you see the team trending over the next 5-10 seasons, but in my mind we should be aiming to galvanize around 2020-2022. Eriksson-Ek, Kunin and Greenway should all have enough experience to contribute in whatever ways they're destined to contribute, Kaprizov should make the jump to the NHL, the Granlund/Nino/Zucker/Coyle/Brodin/Dumba group should still be in their primes, and I think Suter is likely to be top-pairing caliber through those years. Obviously a lot can change between now and then, but just based on what we've got now I think 2020-2022 is kind of a window for us.

Extending Zucker for 4 years would have us making that "do we trade him at the deadline or not?" question during the 2021-22 season, which is the end my theoretical "window" and really poor timing. It also means his contract ends the same year as Nino's, which seems crummy. 7 years takes us to a point where I think we'll be more comfortable moving on.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Teams would be lining up to get him, so a trade wouldn't be hard. The only current players on the team (non-RFA) signed for the 21-22 season (year 4 of his contract) are Parise/Suter (because they'll be here forever), and Nino.

I don't trust the Wild's upcoming center or goalie depth, but they do have some decent looking wing and d-corps prospects. I really think blowing the current team up with the next CBA is a serious option on the table in the mid-term plans.

I didn't mean that other teams wouldn't want him, but now easy would it be trade 25-30 goals off of a, theoretical, playoff contender? Let's say we're sitting in 2nd place in the division at the time, you're comfortable dumping that production off the team for futures?

I would just rather not be forced into that decision, and am honestly not all that concerned about a major early 30's drop off for him.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
keep in mind pastrenak got 6.6 x 6 i think so theres that.

Pasta is not really a comparable to Zucker. Pasta was coming off his ELC and that 6 years only bought 2 UFA seasons. Pasta will be a UFA after his 26yo season, Zucker is currently in his 26yo season.

Reactions: Bazeek

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Will Zucker demand a NMC, and will Fletcher give him one?
Now this is the sticky part for me. Assuming stability and setting down roots and all that is important to the new family man whose wife recently got her own show on local radio, he'll probably want some sort of movement protection. I expect some sort of limited/modified NTC on whatever he signs. Not ideal, but if it helps keep the AAV down I don't mind it too much.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Would be part of the negotiations. My guess would be that a full NMC/NTC wouldn't be on the table, but a partial/limited could be. Maybe that's the ticket to getting him at an amount in the 4's and not the 5's.

Did Nino get anything like that?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I didn't mean that other teams wouldn't want him, but now easy would it be trade 25-30 goals off of a, theoretical, playoff contender? Let's say we're sitting in 2nd place in the division at the time, you're comfortable dumping that production off the team for futures?

I would just rather not be forced into that decision, and am honestly not all that concerned about a major early 30's drop off for him.

If we're in a Playoff run, let him walk for nothing after the season if need be. Maybe he'll re-sign in MN, maybe he wont. I don't have a problem with that.

The Wild could also be 2nd to last in the Divison and Zucker is ice cold/injured. But we're really treading into the what if territory on the team, and I like your version better than mine.

I'm really not that worried about the Wild's future wing depth. I could be wrong and Greenway, Kaprizov, and Kunin all bust/no show. There's always a Vanek (after buyout) or Vrbata on the UFA market that can be a cheap middle-6 addition if needed.

It also comes down to money/term. If Zucker will take either a $6mx4 or a $5mx5, I take the 5 year contract for only a million more without hesitation.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Would be part of the negotiations. My guess would be that a full NMC/NTC wouldn't be on the table, but a partial/limited could be. Maybe that's the ticket to getting him at an amount in the 4's and not the 5's.

Did Nino get anything like that?
Nino's got some sort of NTC, but I don't think we have details.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If we're in a Playoff run, let him walk for nothing after the season if need be. Maybe he'll re-sign in MN, maybe he wont. I don't have a problem with that.

The Wild could also be 2nd to last in the Divison and Zucker is ice cold/injured. But we're really treading into the what if territory on the team, and I like your version better than mine.

I'm really not that worried about the Wild's future wing depth. I could be wrong and Greenway, Kaprizov, and Kunin all bust/no show. There's always a Vanek (after buyout) or Vrbata on the UFA market that can be a cheap middle-6 addition if needed.

It also comes down to money/term. If Zucker will take either a $6mx4 or a $5mx5, I take the 5 year contract for only a million more without hesitation.

That's a heck of a lot easier said than done.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

I wouldn't give him a full NMC, especially with another expansion team looming and potentially even more/better players exposed per team. A partial NTC I do see happening. Neither Nino of Granny got any type of NTC so I hope GMCF has learned his lesson on those.

Koivu got one, but he's the captain, and has been here forever. So I think that's a different can of worms.

i guess i wasnt clear that pastrnak is a max ceiling contract that wild mgmt can work down from there.

If Zucker is looking for a $6.67m/yr range contract, I'd have him on the trade block.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Nino's got some sort of NTC, but I don't think we have details.

Nino for sure doesn't. I remember after his signing he said something along the lines of he didn't want to be on a team that didn't want him.

Granny doesn't have one listed on capfriendly.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Nino for sure doesn't. I remember after his signing he said something along the lines of he didn't want to be on a team that didn't want him.

Granny doesn't have one listed on capfriendly.
You are correct, sir. Re-checked the article I was looking at and realize I read "no no-trade protection" as "no trade protection."

Wabit

May 23, 2016
That's a heck of a lot easier said than done.

STL let Backes (after his 31yo season) walk. Bos can let Eriksson (after his 30yo season) walk. JVR can walk after this season. Tavares might walk after this year. Stamkos had the chance to walk. Parise walked from NJD after a Cup finals run.

It's not that hard imo.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
The biggest and most common mistake GMs around the league make is sign good-but-not-great players into their mid 30s. Basically every player starts somewhat declining in their late 20s or early 30s, but with stars this means they are still good players even with the decline. That's generally not the case with lesser players like Zucker who plummet to buyout range quickly, usually around the age of 32-33. Player's skillset and how he takes cares of himself of course comes to play here, but generally that's the way it goes. If you look around the league, there are so many ~33 year old used-to-be-good-but-not-great players who have either been bought out or are buyout material because of their now terrible contracts.

Because Zucker was on a bridge deal after ELC, the Wild are in a good position and don't have to worry about him hitting that mid 30s mark here during his 3rd contract. They could give him 7 years and reasonably expect him to complete it without major regress. However, Zucker might be more interested in a 4-5 year deal because that would almost guarantee him another big UFA contract, something he's unlikely to get after a 7 year deal. There's also the case of motivation; it might be better for the Wild too to not have Zucker playing with "this is the last meaningful contract of my career" attitude.

If you can get Zucker signed for a bit cheaper with longer term, say 4.85M for 7 years, you should. But that's probably not going to happen, as surely Zucker is aware of the implications it has to his next contract. Therefore, I think a 5 year deal at 5.2M should be doable and fair for everyone.

Reactions: paragon

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I haven't seen anything in the last 2 years that would lead me to believe that there would be any sort of work ethic/motivation/laziness issues with him.

There might not be a guaranteed big contract after the deal expires, but it's not like it's automatically the end of the road either.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I haven't seen anything in the last 2 years that would lead me to believe that there would be any sort of work ethic/motivation/laziness issues with him.

There might not be a guaranteed big contract after the deal expires, but it's not like it's automatically the end of the road either.

You mean besides the lack of sleep at home? :laugh:

Reactions: Wild11MN

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Oh ****.

Had read about Tucker earlier, but the whole story and stuff...

We have a sunny day here, going to take a long walk out there, breathing some fresh air, feeling the cold wind.
A story like that really puts things in perspective. An awful, awful situation, but what a gift for that family, that their son forged such a special connection and is living on through Jason.

Reactions: FVM and W75

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yeah, I had read pretty much the entire story before, but seeing it all at once was a bit difficult. The Butterfly Effect in full force. "Floor 5 or 6?" was a question that changed his life forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad