Player Discussion Jason Zucker

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Not a terribly big fan of giving 1 way deals on the premise that he should be ready for next year. Make him earn his spot before he gets the 1 way deal.

With increased competition for playing time from Karanen, Mitchell, Brassart, etc. Make them earn the spot.

But what can you do.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
im glad hes still a member of the wild, im shocked he didn't say play me or trade me. i would have.

Last edited:

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Fletcher likes to do this. He did it with Stoner and somebody else (Scandella? Prosser?).

Gives flexibility to the team. Money to the player.

Yeah, we've seen it a few times before with Prosser, Stoner and I believe Dowell got one too. I think Dowell's the only one to have played his one-way year in the AHL.

It's basically a "prove you can get to and stay in the big leagues" deal. I like it.

Teddy10Beers

Dec 31, 2011
Minnesota
Prosser's deal in 2012 was two years but both years were one-way.

Dowell's two year deal was two-way the first year; one-way the second. We paid him $700K to play in Iowa last year. Never understood that contract.

Stoner's two year extension in 2010 was one-way the first year; two-way the second.

Last edited:

Wild33

Mar 27, 2009
Not a terribly big fan of giving 1 way deals on the premise that he should be ready for next year. Make him earn his spot before he gets the 1 way deal.

With increased competition for playing time from Karanen, Mitchell, Brassart, etc. Make them earn the spot.

But what can you do.

Just because he is on a one-way doesn't mean he is on the team. Just means he makes NHL salary if he is in the minors. Kuemper will get a one way this year and will still be waiver exempt and I'm pretty sure the same would apply to Zucker next year depending on how many games he plays this year for the Wild. Also, Fletcher probably wanted to do anything he could to make sure this deal was 2 years. He didn't need to try and sign another RFA next year along with Granlund, Brodin, Coyle, Haula, Scandella and Folin.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Interesting!

First year I'm guessing he'll be up and down depending on injuries. Second year I'm guessing he'll either be with Minnesota, or some other team.

Iowa should be really good next year.

Montana41

Dec 29, 2013
I imagine that this deal was done to maintain some trade value for him. I find it difficult to believe that he'll have a consistent role with the Wild throughout the next two years...

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think the team is content letting things play out. Either he forces his way onto the roster or he doesn't and they move him next year.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
At the very least, Zucker gives the Wild options. Assuming his knee is recovered, he adds wheels and counterattack ability to a team that could use a little bit more of those qualities.

Nino-Haula-Zucker could be a nasty line in the near future.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Any word on the AAV of the NHL portion of the deal yet? I imagine its a shade under a million.

J22*

The 2nd year being a one-way isn't a big deal because Zucker will no longer be waiver exempt at the beginning of 2015-16. In fact he's only 8 NHL games away from losing his exemption this year.

Finnsane

Oct 21, 2012
lF3KKdI.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad