Recalled/Assigned: Jason Zucker (Jan 1: Re-called from Iowa)

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
He's a much more useful piece than Rupp is at the moment. I liked the way the lines looked last night.

Completely agree, but I don't understand the knee-jerk reactions to this move. Zucker isn't going to single-handedly save this team. I'm just trying to think big picture with Zucker. He's not currently lighting up the NHL, so he belongs in Iowa.

OpRedDawn*

Completely agree, but I don't understand the knee-jerk reactions to this move. Zucker isn't going to single-handedly save this team. I'm just trying to think big picture with Zucker. He's not currently lighting up the NHL, so he belongs in Iowa.
That's not really a fair way to look at things.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
He's one of the few players we have who have shown that they really want to play offense. He's got wheels. He likes to shoot. Yes he still needs a little more seasoning but I think he belongs on the team a lot more than Rupp does at the moment.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
The problem is probably cap-related, too, as well as our surplus of left wingers. Cooke is an overkill in the 4th line role, he can handle 3rd line minutes and Fontaine adds scoring touch to that line anyway. Yes, Zucker can play those minutes and look good but where would that put Fontaine? We can't roll a 3rd line with Zucker - Brodziak - Fonz and expect to shut opposition's top lines. Yes, Zucker looked good in his recent stint but 1st line minutes + PP time in Iowa is better for his development right now.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
Haula makes more sense to keep around for now because he is a center and has also responded well in special teams play. He's capable of playing on the PK and PP which is a huge asset to keep Mikko and Parise more fresh late in games. I understand Zucker has an offensive knack that the Wild have been missing lately, but we don't want Zucker on the checking line or fourth line for minutes/defensive reasons.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
I'm assuming the argument is that Zucker hasn't been given much of a chance to shine with the Wild so far this season. He's been called up for brief stints and sent back down while also playing some limited minutes. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I can't imagine Rupp will add anything to this team, but Zucker didn't stand out the last couple games.

Really, there aren't any forwards on this team who have been good the last couple weeks outside Heatley, which is odd.

OpRedDawn*

If "single handedly saving the team" is a measure for a young guy to be in the NHL, then there would be like no players coming from the AHL.

Also, just because he's not lighting up the pro leagues doesn't mean he should be in the AHL. Coyle sure isn't lighting it up, send him down! Fontaine has been cold, send him down! Brodin had some rough games, SEND HIM DOWN!!!!!

Zucker hasn't had his chances go in, but he's been put with random line mates nearly every game and hasn't even been given a decent shot. Ignoring that, he's still super fast and actually shoots the puck, something that can sure help a team that's not dynamic or scoring goals.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I can't imagine Rupp will add anything to this team, but Zucker didn't stand out the last couple games.

He at least will hit. Last game was a massive exception because everyone was hitting basically.

Really, there aren't any forwards on this team who have been good the last couple weeks outside Heatley, which is odd.

Koivu has played pretty darn good

Haula makes more sense to keep around for now because he is a center and has also responded well in special teams play. He's capable of playing on the PK and PP which is a huge asset to keep Mikko and Parise more fresh late in games. I understand Zucker has an offensive knack that the Wild have been missing lately, but we don't want Zucker on the checking line or fourth line for minutes/defensive reasons.

Well Haula is replacing Granlund right now. Zucker was up here because Rupp was not back yet and Parise went down. Parise came back and Rupp has been healthy. Don't ruin the kid by putting him on crappy lines when he still can do great things in the Iowa and hopefully become a staple soon.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
those saying zucker trade please do yourself favor and listen to Russo said on kfan this morning.

THEALLKNOWING*

Zucker is being show cased for a trade

I hope so why he still has perceived value around the league. The Wild have too many small, fast forwards that either can't win battles along the boards, or are weak defensively. The West is big, so the Wild need to get big. That is why I suggest Bulmer. Zucker very Casey Wellman-like. BTW, fan favorites become Russo favorites. Gee, I wonder why?

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Could you maybe summarize it for those of us who don't have time to listen to a whole podcast?

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Could you maybe summarize it for those of us who don't have time to listen to a whole podcast?

Russo says like 15 seconds on it. Guy writes in saying zucker should be playing. Russo says that its crazy how many times he can play poorly up here but people will still keep complaining about him not playing in the NHL. Then says that he's only 21, a lot of teams don't play a bunch of 21 year olds, and it's not horrible if he develops in the AHL for a bit.

Bullrun

Jan 22, 2007
zucker to score 2 goals in his call up game because thats what zucker does...if he doesnt...vanek

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I thought Haula looked better than Zucker did, but I guess they want to give Zucker a chance.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I hope so why he still has perceived value around the league. The Wild have too many small, fast forwards that either can't win battles along the boards, or are weak defensively. The West is big, so the Wild need to get big. That is why I suggest Bulmer. Zucker very Casey Wellman-like. BTW, fan favorites become Russo favorites. Gee, I wonder why?

Wild don't need any more forwards to play along the boards.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Wild don't need any more forwards to play along the boards.

The sad truth of cycling in the offensive zone is that it does wear down the opposing team. You if you have a bunch of forwards who are only north-south, one-shot-and-then-back-the-other-way players is that your blueline gets very tired playing that style.

Although the Wild's problem is that they don't know when to come out of the cycle and drive to the net. They seem to think that you score goals in the corner. The cycle isn't supposed to generate a beautiful back-door goal. It's supposed to gain one step on your Dman mark that allows you to get a shot on goal that one of your linemates can wack at the goal mouth. The Wild either pass up good shots waiting for the perfect shot or don't have F3 in the crease where he's supposed to be (because he's waiting for the 1-timer in the slot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad