Jason Strudwick Show

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This is some of the most ridiculous stuff I have ever read. Strudwick made the NHL which puts him in the top 1% in the world. He played over 600 games which puts him in the top 1% of that 1%. Because he struggled at the end of his career here his opinion bears no value? Mike Babcock wasn't even good enough to play hockey at a high level and he's one of the best hockey minds out there. Think about what you just said.

Thank you for saying what needed to be said. It was getting tiring reading that nonsense and the followup justification.
A ridiculous argument. Harpoon must be bored.

Strudwick had a 12 year career in the NHL. Regardless of his abilities his opinion carries infinitely more weight than that of Stauffer, Gregor etc. He was on those bad teams yes so he's been in the dressing room he sees what goes on. He was also on good teams as well.

Why are we arguing this though lol?

Its a red herring.
Strudwick has insights that people like Gregor and Stauffer have no clue about.
The fact that he played on a bad team is irrelevant.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Anyone who has never been a politician has no right to criticize political decisions then.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Untrue but I would take Barrack Obama's opinion on politics in higher regard than my own.

I think you missed the point. I was making fun of the person who said Struds can't be a good commentator because he wasn't an elite player.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Untrue but I would take Barrack Obama's opinion on politics in higher regard than my own.

Lol. This is all you have to say in rebuttal? Thankfully some smart comments were actually made the past page and a half to save the thread, yours was not one of them however...

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
We all need to stop criticizing, judging and talking about dmen, goalies, forwards, coaches, scouts, GM's and POHO's as well because we haven't played or worked at those elite levels and don't know enough to understand and comprehend what it takes to perform at those high levels.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Hard to imagine a 5/6 defenseman at the end of his career being the catalyst for the Oilers fail at the time he was here.

I think there is a slight possibility that it was something else. But hey, who am I to say?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Hard to imagine a 5/6 defenseman at the end of his career being the catalyst for the Oilers fail at the time he was here.

I think there is a slight possibility that it was something else. But hey, who am I to say?

Indeed.

Its also interesting how this false narrative about how only ex NHL players have meaningful opinions is being spun (and mocked).

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
This whole debate regarding Jason Strudwick's credibility in relation to his ability level at the tail end of his playing career is pretty silly. Like any other pundit (former player or not), the amount of stock any listener wants to put into his opinions is totally up to the listener.

When Jason grades the Oilers' forwards, d-men & goalies after each game, I'm no more or less interested in his opinion than I am in that of his producer, the callers or any of his TSN 1260 colleagues who happen to phone in. However, when Strudwick loses his mind when he sees the current sad-sack edition of the Oilers not backing one another up on the ice, I not only find it entertaining but extremely credible as well. That's because fostering team closeness even if that meant jumping in when necessary was the guy's bread & butter throughout his WHL, AHL & NHL career. The fact he sucked as a d-man when he played for the Oilers is quite irrelevant.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This whole debate regarding Jason Strudwick's credibility in relation to his ability level at the tail end of his playing career is pretty silly. Like any other pundit (former player or not), the amount of stock any listener wants to put into his opinions is totally up to the listener.

When Jason grades the Oilers' forwards, d-men & goalies after each game, I'm no more or less interested in his opinion than I am in that of his producer, the callers or any of his TSN 1260 colleagues who happen to phone in. However, when Strudwick loses his mind when he sees the current sad-sack edition of the Oilers not backing one another up on the ice, I not only find it entertaining but extremely credible as well. That's because fostering team closeness even if that meant jumping in when necessary was the guy's bread & butter throughout his WHL, AHL & NHL career. The fact he sucked as a d-man when he played for the Oilers is quite irrelevant.

Exactly. :nod:

Beer league pylon

Jan 29, 2015
After reading all of Harpoon's comments, I have a suspicion that it is actually Stauffer. All the posts are very aligned with comments made on Oilers now. The guy seems to have a serious hate on for Strudwick, who I think is fantastic. A couple years ago Bob made some comments about a CIS player who I know personally. I sent the show an email and pumped Stauffer a bit, nothing too harsh. My phone number is on all of my emails and Bob called me. It was as if he needed to validate the comments he made on his show. I would think that a media personality would have a little thicker skin. Sorry to run off with my conspiracy theory.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
After reading all of Harpoon's comments, I have a suspicion that it is actually Stauffer. All the posts are very aligned with comments made on Oilers now. The guy seems to have a serious hate on for Strudwick, who I think is fantastic. A couple years ago Bob made some comments about a CIS player who I know personally. I sent the show an email and pumped Stauffer a bit, nothing too harsh. My phone number is on all of my emails and Bob called me. It was as if he needed to validate the comments he made on his show. I would think that a media personality would have a little thicker skin. Sorry to run off with my conspiracy theory.
Laughable. You joined the board just to post that?

Even though you "read" all my posts you seem to suffer from the same reading comprehension problems that plague a few other posters in this thread <cough guymez cough>.
Strudwick was a useless pylon for almost every game he played in Edmonton. That doesn't make him a bad radio host - it just makes him a guy I have trouble drumming up a lot of "respect" for. I'm sure his show is the bees knees and I'm glad you love it.

As for Stauffer ... if you'd read "all" my posts as you claim, you'd know that I think his show is terrible and his color commentating is even worse. I have no trouble believing that Strudwicks show is miles better than anything Bob is involved with producing.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Laughable. You joined the board just to post that?

Even though you "read" all my posts you seem to suffer from the same reading comprehension problems that plague a few other posters in this thread <cough guymez cough>.
Strudwick was a useless pylon for almost every game he played in Edmonton. That doesn't make him a bad radio host - it just makes him a guy I have trouble drumming up a lot of "respect" for. I'm sure his show is the bees knees and I'm glad you love it.

As for Stauffer ... if you'd read "all" my posts as you claim, you'd know that I think his show is terrible and his color commentating is even worse. I have no trouble believing that Strudwicks show is miles better than anything Bob is involved with producing.

The best you can do to counter the absolute baseless nonsense you posted in this thread is to post some veiled comments about reading comprehension?

Really?

:help:

Last edited:

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Leaving 1260. Says he's staying in Edmonton, but won't say what his next gig is.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Leaving 1260. Says he's staying in Edmonton, but won't say what his next gig is.

A lot of ex-players make the jump directly to TV. Wouldn't be surprised if Struds radio success has landed him a TV role of some sort. Or OEG?

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
People seem to think he's honest, and critical of the team when needed

He's probably been bought by the Katz group, and will be shilling for the Oilers by next week :sarcasm:

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Who takes over for Struds?

Hopefully Dave Lumley.

He's been great on Stauffer's show. Very critical of the team, has great stories, funny guy. Perfect replacement for Strudwick.

I'm interested to see where Strudwick ends up. He's a beauty.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Hopefully Dave Lumley.

He's been great on Stauffer's show. Very critical of the team, has great stories, funny guy. Perfect replacement for Strudwick.

I'm interested to see where Strudwick ends up. He's a beauty.

There's a hell of a lot more too it than being critical and having great old time stories to tell. You gotta be able to conduct an interview, ask smart questions, fill 3+ hours of air time.

Dave Lumley is a good guest from time to time. I think he'd be a terrible host of a show. 0

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad