Jason Strudwick Show

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Understandably Jason said, "No. It's not my place", when asked (in a text) if he'd ever say anything about this topic to Hall or any of the others still on the team who were there when he was. It would be nice however if Struds or any other media member would ask MacT if the Oilers players repeatedly not backing one other up is a concern to him.

It would be great but they'd never get the chance to ask another question again

Zap Brannigan

May 23, 2004
Ya the players are playing for money... not for each other and not showing the passion to actually be a competitive winning team.

As to losing money to a suspension... peanuts. If this team was a hard working, gritty team that actually gave a ****... every year they'd be making bonus playoff money as well... which would more than make up for the occasional "indiscretion" on the ice that comes from the heat of the moment passion of playing gritty competitive hockey where your heart is in the game and you've got the backs of your teammates.

That's all lost on this team... WAY too many playing safe for a big paycheck and all the heart and soul is gone from this team.

yes, thats why the oilers can't score goals. they don't play for each other.

thats sounds like a crazy person

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Whenever I think Jason Strudwick I think of the guy hopelessly turned around, falling all over himself, three seasons past when he should have retired, trying to kill a penalty for the Oilers. The absolute definition of the tank. Oilers are in the position they are in precisely because they love those draft picks so they keep on suiting up a bunch of reclamations, no hopers, and defenders like Strudwick who were well past it. To his credit, he was never a player who would step back from defending a team mate even if it meant getting a beating. Guy was all heart in that regard.

I've never listened to his show so while I would agree that he's right to call out the gutlessness of this team, I would kind of roll my eyes to hear him being critical of the roster in any way.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
He hits the nail on the head. This the exact reason why I really don't care who gets moved from this roster. When I played hockey, you stood up for each other. It didn't mean you fought per say but you didn't let the opposition man handle your teammates. You cared when one of your teammates was jumped, facewashed, hit dirty, etc. Watch an NFL game and see what happens when there is a questionable hit. They don't get into a brawl but everyone has everyone else's back.

goggog

Sep 2, 2006
Canada
Whenever I think Jason Strudwick I think of the guy hopelessly turned around, falling all over himself, three seasons past when he should have retired, trying to kill a penalty for the Oilers. The absolute definition of the tank. Oilers are in the position they are in precisely because they love those draft picks so they keep on suiting up a bunch of reclamations, no hopers, and defenders like Strudwick who were well past it. To his credit, he was never a player who would step back from defending a team mate even if it meant getting a beating. Guy was all heart in that regard.

I've never listened to his show so while I would agree that he's right to call out the gutlessness of this team, I would kind of roll my eyes to hear him being critical of the roster in any way.

So with that logic none of us have the right to criticize the roster. Only NHL players at an equal or higher level can say anything.
As far as I am concerned, his opinion has 1000x the value of any other media member in this city.

Last edited:

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Best sports talk radio show in Edmonton.

When hes ranting about how the game is played...you believe it....Unlike Gregor, Stauffer and Wilkens hes actually played the game.

He tells it like it is

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
So with that logic none of us have the right to criticize the roster. Only NHL players at an equal or higher level can say anything.
As far as I am concerned, his opinion has 1000x the value of any other media member in this city.

This.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Good lord, that's so wrong its laughable. NHL Players can be just as stupid as anyone else.

Unless you consider by the same token, such mental giants like Jamie McLellan, Aaron Ward, Nick Kypreos, Kevin Weekes, Mike Milbury all former NHL players...

having more valid opinions than Bob McKenzie, Elliotte Friedmann, Chris Cuthbert - media who have never played a professional hockey game.

goggog

Sep 2, 2006
Canada
Good lord, that's so wrong its laughable. NHL Players can be just as stupid as anyone else.

Unless you consider by the same token, such mental giants like Jamie McLellan, Aaron Ward, Nick Kypreos, Kevin Weekes, Mike Milbury all former NHL players...

having more valid opinions than Bob McKenzie, Elliotte Friedmann, Chris Cuthbert - media who have never played a professional hockey game.

Uhh I think you missed the point...

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Uhh I think you missed the point...
Actually, I think its you who have missed the point.
Strudwick may be a great guy and have a snappy show, I don't know much about that.
But I do know that he's the only media guy in town who personally played a part in ensuring that the Oilers run of suck continued uninterrupted.
And man was Strudwick terrible out there. He sure did his part for the tank.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Strudwick may be a great guy and have a snappy show, I don't know much about that.
But I do know that he's the only media guy in town who personally played a part in ensuring that the Oilers run of suck continued uninterrupted.
Yeah, Strudwick's abilities as a player have nothing to do with the quality of his show nor understanding of the game. Unlike many people in the media, he is both smart and has played in the NHL.

His comments don't necessarily have more merit than Bob Mackenzie's, but he does have an insight into what it means to be an NHL player that pundits like Bob will never have.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Yeah, Strudwick's abilities as a player have nothing to do with the quality of his show nor understanding of the game.
I agree, but there are posters in this thread insisting that Strudwick is somehow "1000x the value of any other media member in the city" precisely because spent two hundred games stumbling around the ice in an Oilers jersey.

His comments don't necessarily have more merit than Bob Mackenzie's, but he does have an insight into what it means to be an NHL player that pundits like Bob will never have.
Well, he certainly has insight into how a tank works. :sarcasm:

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I agree, but there are posters in this thread insisting that Strudwick is somehow "1000x the value of any other media member in the city" precisely because spent two hundred games stumbling around the ice in an Oilers jersey.

Well, he certainly has insight into how a tank works. :sarcasm:
Well to be fair, we don't have a great media corps in Edmonton. I know where you're coming from, but I think people got annoyed that you brought up Strudwick being a bad player because they felt you were trying to discredit the value of his show.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Well to be fair, we don't have a great media corps in Edmonton. I know where you're coming from, but I think people got annoyed that you brought up Strudwick being a bad player because they felt you were trying to discredit the value of his show.
Yeah, I see your point. But I kinda went out of my way to say that I wasn't trying to slag his show. If his show is good, its because he's a skilled conversationalist, not because he was a marginal NHL player who hung on three years past when he should have to assist the Oilers in their tank.

Rob Brown once scored forty nine goals and 115 points in sixty eight games and finished his career at 0.81 PPG.
Is he a more valuable media voice than Strudwick because he was a much better player?

goggog

Sep 2, 2006
Canada

Yeah, I see your point. But I kinda went out of my way to say that I wasn't trying to slag his show. If his show is good, its because he's a skilled conversationalist, not because he was a marginal NHL player who hung on three years past when he should have to assist the Oilers in their tank.

Rob Brown once scored forty nine goals and 115 points in sixty eight games and finished his career at 0.81 PPG.
Is he a more valuable media voice than Strudwick because he was a much better player?

I was merely pointing out how stupid it was to discredit someone because he was a poor hockey player.
Saying he is 1000x better than anyone in THIS CITY is a testament to how poor our media is. However when Strudwick has a comment on how a locker room works or how he would feel as a player in a certain situation, yes I would take his opinion 1000x over any other media member here (that didn't play in the NHL).
How he performed during his time in Edmonton has zero impact on the validity of those opinions.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Just go listen to him. You'll see.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Some horrible players turned into good coaches and great players turned into horrible coaches. Just because someone wasn't an NHL all star doesn't mean that they're not knowledgable about the game. Usually the least talented players are the ones that are willing to learn the most.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Just because someone wasn't an NHL all star doesn't mean that they're not knowledgable about the game.
I agree, and I haven't posted anything to the contrary. I sure wish people would read the entire content of a post before slapping off a scolding. I don't know much about Strudwick's show, but I'll now make the effort to listen based on the recommendations of the overwhelming majority of posters.

Still, facts are facts, and no matter how wonderful his radio show may be, to me Strudwick will always be the poster boy for the worst years of the tank - the seasons when it was so obvious that the team wasn't even trying to ice a competitive roster. Cause I mean why else would an NHL roster in 2009/10 have Strudwick as one of the top six defenders and key penalty killer? I certainly don't blame the man for taking the money and prolonging his career about three seasons past when anyone else would have given him an NHL job. Strudwick was a gamer but he was flat out terrible for about 150 of his 200 games in Edmonton. Worse by a country mile than Nikitin or Schultz.

It shouldn't be forgotten that he personally was the guy out there killing penalties and failing at every turn to defend his own zone, so slow that he was afraid to venture further into the corner than the edge of the circle cause he knew he'd never get back if he went further, stick flailing around in desperate attempt to deflect a pass. That guy, if he knew anything about hockey (and many here seem to think that he does), would have known that the team was tanking. He must have known that his terrible play night after night was a like a symbol of the tank for everyone to see.

How does that guy get to call out the "sorry state of the organization"? Respectfully, I think he doesn't. In this case "being an NHL player" isn't a positive thing because he was a member of the most stinking teams this city has ever seen - and didn't do squat to improve things with his play. Now as I said before if we are talking strictly about Strudwick the broadcaster being critical of no physical response from the current gutless lineup, then that's an area where I think Strudwick the player was certainly an example a lot of current Oilers should look to.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009

You're joking right? You don't get to turn around the NO YOU missed the point, and then reply with something even further off the mark than you said before.

Just admit that you don't like the point being made, because regardless of what you think of Strudwick he clearly has insight from inside the very organization we're talking about that any and all of the players previously cited don't and likewise media members that haven't played at all. Combined with a better format in RADIO than TV for communicating with fans in a candid manner and his show has a lot of merit.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
You're joking right? You don't get to turn around the NO YOU missed the point, and then reply with something even further off the mark than you said before.
Let me spell it out clearly for you. Strudwick is tainted in my eyes because he was such a key cog of the tank. Maybe you weren't watching the games back then. Let me refresh your memory; Strudwick was so bad he practically single-handedly brought home Nuge for the team. I never bothered with his show because would I listen to the Shawn Belle show? Or the Dean Arsene show? Or the Cam Barker show? They probably have "insight from within the very organization we're talking about" too. Insight on how to lose.

You may think that's a petty or irrelevant viewpoint, as is your prerogative. But I've been totally on the same point in all posts in this thread. I can't help it if you are having trouble following along wrt where the mark is.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Let me spell it out clearly for you. Strudwick is tainted in my eyes because he was such a key cog of the tank. Maybe you weren't watching the games back then. Let me refresh your memory; Strudwick was so bad he practically single-handedly brought home Nuge for the team. I never bothered with his show because would I listen to the Shawn Belle show? Or the Dean Arsene show? Or the Cam Barker show? They probably have "insight from within the very organization we're talking about" too. Insight on how to lose.

You may think that's a petty or irrelevant viewpoint, as is your prerogative. But I've been totally on the same point in all posts in this thread. I can't help it if you are having trouble following along wrt where the mark is.

Just rings of bitterness, when you're inside a thread that was created to talk about the Jason Strudwick show, that in almost every post of yours that I have read, you felt the need to take a dig at the guy. We all know his skill in the game. But he was ever a good locker room guy by the sound of things, and a generally good guy by all accounts that I have ever heard.

And no, I wouldn't expect someone to listen to a show just because it was a former Oiler who talks on it... but when this thread is talking about just how awesome of a show this guy runs, you can't really make a comparison to random NHL players, since there is feedback and review of his show here.

For the record, I never liked Strudwick (unless he was sticking up for someone), nor have I listened to his show once... but you are coming off as really defensive of a very non-personal thing... which is weird.

*Edit - And no, Strudwick alone didn't get us RNH, lol... that was the whole team.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I agree, and I haven't posted anything to the contrary. I sure wish people would read the entire content of a post before slapping off a scolding. I don't know much about Strudwick's show, but I'll now make the effort to listen based on the recommendations of the overwhelming majority of posters.

Still, facts are facts, and no matter how wonderful his radio show may be, to me Strudwick will always be the poster boy for the worst years of the tank - the seasons when it was so obvious that the team wasn't even trying to ice a competitive roster. Cause I mean why else would an NHL roster in 2009/10 have Strudwick as one of the top six defenders and key penalty killer? I certainly don't blame the man for taking the money and prolonging his career about three seasons past when anyone else would have given him an NHL job. Strudwick was a gamer but he was flat out terrible for about 150 of his 200 games in Edmonton. Worse by a country mile than Nikitin or Schultz.

It shouldn't be forgotten that he personally was the guy out there killing penalties and failing at every turn to defend his own zone, so slow that he was afraid to venture further into the corner than the edge of the circle cause he knew he'd never get back if he went further, stick flailing around in desperate attempt to deflect a pass. That guy, if he knew anything about hockey (and many here seem to think that he does), would have known that the team was tanking. He must have known that his terrible play night after night was a like a symbol of the tank for everyone to see.

How does that guy get to call out the "sorry state of the organization"? Respectfully, I think he doesn't. In this case "being an NHL player" isn't a positive thing because he was a member of the most stinking teams this city has ever seen - and didn't do squat to improve things with his play. Now as I said before if we are talking strictly about Strudwick the broadcaster being critical of no physical response from the current gutless lineup, then that's an area where I think Strudwick the player was certainly an example a lot of current Oilers should look to.
This is some of the most ridiculous stuff I have ever read. Strudwick made the NHL which puts him in the top 1% in the world. He played over 600 games which puts him in the top 1% of that 1%. Because he struggled at the end of his career here his opinion bears no value? Mike Babcock wasn't even good enough to play hockey at a high level and he's one of the best hockey minds out there. Think about what you just said.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
Strudwick had a 12 year career in the NHL. Regardless of his abilities his opinion carries infinitely more weight than that of Stauffer, Gregor etc. He was on those bad teams yes so he's been in the dressing room he sees what goes on. He was also on good teams as well.

Why are we arguing this though lol?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad