Jason Spezza Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
i wish the owner would stop talking about budgets, cost per point, losing money, needing additional revenue streams, saying things like any idiot can spend.

but here we are.

As for additional many teams talk about that same with other things yet only here are some acting like things are far worse maybe its because of the rumors people are taking as fact who knows.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Yesterday Melnyk said something like a call to fans to support their team. It sounds to me like he's only going to spend in proportion to gate revenue. Bums in the seats. The budget message is still there, just tactically worded.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
We've been a "budget" team our entire franchise history minus like two years. It's called being a small market team.

If you look at most teams maybe they won't use the word budget but in reality outside of the elite teams many have a set amoutn they won't spend above.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
Yesterday Melnyk said something like a call to fans to support their team. It sounds to me like he's only going to spend in proportion to gate revenue. Bums in the seats. The budget message is still there, just tactically worded.

He never said come and support the team.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
If you look at most teams maybe they won't use the word budget but in reality outside of the elite teams many have a set amoutn they won't spend above.

unfortunately those teams all seem to a have higher amount they wont spend above.

Fact is 20 teams spent within $1 million of the cap.
then a few others within $2 million

then our tax bracket about $8 million under the cap:
24th Buffalo (have committed to spending much much more under new ownership)
25th Edmonton (not sure what the plan is there.)
26th Ottawa

then these guys:
Calgary (super young team good reason for being low)
Colorado (have historically been cap team, super young talent not yet been paid)
NYI (who knows WTF is up with them.)
Florida (we know what's up with them, and they are super young, but have committed to spending whatever is necessary.)

The cap is also going up next year but our 'budget is moving up less than $1 million as per BG article today. So next year we will be even worse relatively speaking budget wise compared to the rest of the league.

Im not saying this to advocate money dump trucks for any ufa available. Im saying this because at that level we will not be retaining good players that we need.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
unfortunately those teams all seem to a have higher amount they wont spend above.

Fact is 20 teams spent within $1 million of the cap.
then a few others within $2 million

then our tax bracket about $8 million under the cap:
24th Buffalo (have committed to spending much much more under new ownership)
25th Edmonton (not sure what the plan is there.)
26th Ottawa

then these guys:
Calgary (super young team good reason for being low)
Colorado (have historically been cap team, super young talent not yet been paid)
NYI (who knows WTF is up with them.)
Florida (we know what's up with them, and they are super young, but have committed to spending whatever is necessary.)

The cap is also going up next year but our 'budget is moving up less than $1 million as per BG article today. So next year we will be even worse relatively speaking budget wise compared to the rest of the league.

Im not saying this to advocate money dump trucks for any ufa available. Im saying this because at that level we will not be retaining good players that we need.

Lets wait and see where the budget will be at and not take every rumor as fact many love to make things up just to get people worked up.

Oddmott

May 6, 2013
Lets wait and see where the budget will be at and not take every rumor as fact many love to make things up just to get people worked up.

Both Melnyk and Murray have stated that this will be a cap floor team for the foreseeable future.

I'm not sure how words regarding the internal cap, uttered by the organization's owner as well as the team's GM, are considered "rumour". I take those words, backed by said owner's and GM's actions, as gospel.

Now, the length of this low budget term is open-ended... it could end this June... or it could end in 2020... we don't know. But i think fans are safe in assuming that for now we're not going to have a contender, based on a ridiculously low internal team cap.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
the owner has stated that there was no money for Ryan if they re-signed Alfie.
not that that was the initial plan, but that is the reality.

THERE WAS NO MONEY.

When the owner allegedly rips Alfredsson for requesting a 2 year deal north of $5 million and tells him he's not worth that - is that a desire to play elsewhere or a budget fiasco blowing out up in everyone's face thereby creating a serious desire to look elsewhere?

The owner that stated that there was no money for Ryan if they signed Alfie.....AT 6MILLION?

5? 4.5? 4? Probably there was but people around here don't think that way.

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
The owner that stated that there was no money for Ryan if they signed Alfie.....AT 6MILLION?

5? 4.5? 4? Probably there was but people around here don't think that way.

Complete fabrication on your part, 100%.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Complete fabrication on your part, 100%.

As is yours. You know as much as I do. But I know this, Murray told Alfie about Ryan and that he was coming and Ottawa will be strong. Do you not think that Ryan and Alfie playing together was contingent on Alfie not getting 6M? I think if Alfie would have taken $4M he would be here with Ryan.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
I really don't think it was about the money for Alfredson he wanted a better chance to win.

If it was only about a better chance at winning, he would've stayed here for closer to $1M, thereby creating enough cap room for Murray to bring in Ryan.

It was about both money and the chance to win. Melnyk's budget meant that, had he stayed in Ottawa, he would get one or the other, but not both. Can only hope Melnyk has learned from Alfie's departure, and will be willing to shell out money if it means the team improves.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It is always about the money...always

The thing I kind of find funny about this, most of the time, is that (especially near the end of their careers) the elite players like Alfredsson have already made more than enough money to live luxuriously for the rest of their lives...greed seems to know no bounds. Athletes are always fighting and nickel & diming it when they're getting ridiculous amounts of money to play a game for our entertainment. It's really something.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
The thing I kind of find funny about this, most of the time, is that (especially near the end of their careers) the elite players like Alfredsson have already made more than enough money to live luxuriously for the rest of their lives...greed seems to know no bounds. Athletes are always fighting and nickel & diming it when they're getting ridiculous amounts of money to play a game for our entertainment. It's really something.

Takes two to tango.

It's not like the owners don't have millions and live luxuriously while nickel and diming players.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Takes two to tango.

It's not like the owners don't have millions and live luxuriously while nickel and diming players.

The difference being that it's the owner who is investing the money, not the player. The player is...playing a game for money.

Not that I really care either way. I still find it funny that no matter how much money they have it's never enough. I mean, without even making investments you could live more than comfortably on the interest from 5mil alone.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
The difference being that it's the owner who is investing the money, not the player. The player is...playing a game for money.

The players are employees, who use their salaries as investors and consumers. They all contribute economically.

The owner makes money off that very same game. Why's the player greedy for wanting money, too?

Not that I really care either way. I still find it funny that no matter how much money they have it's never enough. I mean, without even making investments you could live more than comfortably on the interest from 5mil alone.

That's capitalism for you.

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
is it crazy to hope/expect that Spezza will be traded with an understanding of a contract extension?

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON

You could say that, though, about business people or entertainers also. Here's the thing - for competitive, successful people, the amount of money you are making is how they keep score. Drawing a lower salary makes you look bad relative to your colleagues. It doesn't matter what the reason is - if you're only earning $4 million, and someone who you think is your equal or your inferior is making $6 million, you're not very happy about it, because that person has bragging rights and not you. I get it...

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
is it crazy to hope/expect that Spezza will be traded with an understanding of a contract extension?

That's the only way he'll get traded, in my view. There's not a chance that a team is going to give Ottawa a good package, or any kind of return in fact, unless they get Spezza to agree to an extension. Otherwise, they are just getting a one year rental. One way or another, Spezza will come out of this summer with a new contract, either from Ottawa (increasingly unlikely, in my view) or a new team (more likely, I believe.)

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Both Melnyk and Murray have stated that this will be a cap floor team for the foreseeable future.

I'm not sure how words regarding the internal cap, uttered by the organization's owner as well as the team's GM, are considered "rumour". I take those words, backed by said owner's and GM's actions, as gospel.

Now, the length of this low budget term is open-ended... it could end this June... or it could end in 2020... we don't know. But i think fans are safe in assuming that for now we're not going to have a contender, based on a ridiculously low internal team cap.

Where did you read this??

To my knowledge nobody representing the Sens' organization has said anything about being a cap floor team.

Fact is Melnyk realizes the young guys are going to cost progressively more, so to keep within a budget structure huge salaried additions just don't fit.

Since the rebuild started it has been clear Melnyk nor Murray wanted to add rentals or retreaded older players.

The plan has always been to develop in-house and pay the young guys as they develop and perform.

I could understand all the fretting about budget if the Sens hadn't signed Karlsson or any of their young prospects due to affordability.

I would also understand the concern if Murray indicated the team wasn't going to pursue re-signing Ryan or MacArthur for financial reasons, but the opposite appears to be the case.

Fact is when a team is rebuilding through the draft there is no purpose whatsoever to spending to the cap.

TheOneFootedSauce25

Jun 20, 2011
puck
if we trade spezza, lose hemsky, and (hopefully) drop michalek... who the **** is gonna be our second line assuming we get a pick, a prospect, and one serviceable player like were asking for spezza....next year is gonna be a struggle and we wont even be able to say "were hurt"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad