Prospect Info: Jason Kasdorf (2015 via trade) – '15-16: RPI #33 (NCAA)

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Went to the RPI game last night to watch Kasdorf.

He was very good for about 55 minutes and then it all fell apart.

As I saw it last night (my only experience watching him live), he has very good rebound control. His weaknesses seem to be his lateral movement and positioning. Quite often his angles were off and an NHL player would make him pay for that pretty consistently. He also seemed very slow getting across on a few plays (one being the first goal against). He over committed to the shooter that was on the halfwall and instead of shooting the guy made the obvious pass to a forward streaking to the net for an easy tap in.

Overall though, they lost because they couldn't put the puck in the net, not because of Kasdorf. He looks promising but definitely has a lot to work on before he'll ever be a regular in the NHL.

A friend of mines son goes to RPI. Has seen Kas a lot. According to him, this game was the exception not the standard for his performance. I ran your assessment across to him, he did say Kas needs to develop more but his movement isn't a large issue.

It sounds like you both somewhat agree on not breakthrough, and that's to be expected.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Thanks to both of you for your insight. Looking forward to seeing was Kasdorf's future holds.

Last edited:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Kasdorf and RPI will face Brown next weekend in the ECAC tournament's first round best-of-three .. winner will play Harvard .. RPI needs a conference tourney championship to make the NCAA tournament, so we're approaching Kasdorf's last games at RPI.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I'd say no reason Kasdorf hasn't earned a contract, right? I'd rather him competing for playing time in Rochester/Almira than Makarov/Lieuwen

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I'd say no reason Kasdorf hasn't earned a contract, right? I'd rather him competing for playing time in Rochester/Almira than Makarov/Lieuwen

I think his performance has earned a look and a contract for sure. I think starting the year at Elmira would be beneficial. For next year, I'm thinking Lehner and probably Johnson in Buffalo, Ullmark and Lieuwen in Rochester, and Kasdorf in Elmira. I think Kasdorf would benefit from big minutes in Elmira more so than backup in Rochester. At least at the start of the year.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I think his performance has earned a look and a contract for sure. I think starting the year at Elmira would be beneficial. For next year, I'm thinking Lehner and probably Johnson in Buffalo, Ullmark and Lieuwen in Rochester, and Kasdorf in Elmira. I think Kasdorf would benefit from big minutes in Elmira more so than backup in Rochester. At least at the start of the year.

I pretty much agree. Though one thing I'm not sure on is him versus Lieuwen in Rochester/Elmira. Is the talent level in the ECHL good enough that big minutes there is worthwhile? Could it actually be a step down from NCAA? I honestly don't know. But basically I'd prefer him wherever they think he'd best develop.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Are you talking this season??? I though college players can't go to the AHL/ECH unless they were to sign before the deadline.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Wouldn't it be great if the throw in in the Myers deal could turn out to be something one day? (No, I don't mean Bogosian who the Sportsnet guys are saying is a throw in... Kasdorf, the actual throw in.) :biglaugh:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Johnson should start in the home finale vs Columbus - hes earned it. Kasdorf can play at New Jersey or at New York Islanders.

Edit - Guess hes not making the NYC/NJ trip so he won't be playing in New Jersey on Tuesday. So its either Columbus or at New York Islanders.

Last edited:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
GMTM said he definitely envisions him in Rochester next year. Definitely suggests they will be (a) not signing Petersen yet and (b) letting one or both of Leiwen/Makarov go

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
GMTM said he definitely envisions him in Rochester next year. Definitely suggests they will be (a) not signing Petersen yet and (b) letting one or both of Leiwen/Makarov go

Didn't Makarov say a few months ago he was not coming back to organization after this year? I would not mind a structure of re-signing Kasdorf and Lieuwen and tendering Makarov if he hops overseas. Then let Ullmark and Lieuwen battle in Rochester and Kasdorf see tons of starts in Elmira.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Didn't Makarov say a few months ago he was not coming back to organization after this year? I would not mind a structure of re-signing Kasdorf and Lieuwen and tendering Makarov if he hops overseas. Then let Ullmark and Lieuwen battle in Rochester and Kasdorf see tons of starts in Elmira.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Elmira actually be a downgrade in level of competition from the NCAA? I feel like Kasdorf should facing as close NHL level shots as possible

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Next season, Lehner and Ullmark in Buffalo. Lieuwen and Kasdorf in Roch.

Makarov gone to Russia. Johnson to free agency.

Unlikely. Ullmark isn't ready.

It seems pretty clear to me: Lehner+Johnson/other back-up in Buffalo, Ullmark+Kasdorf in Roch. Lieuwen gone. If you want to win next season, you can't go in with Ullmark as your back-up (especially with Lehner's health)

Looking forward to see how Kasdorf does next year though. Big year for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00