Prospect Info: Jason Kasdorf (2015 via trade) – '15-16: RPI #33 (NCAA)

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects -

Jason Kasdorf back in action tonight for the RPI Engineers.

Jason Kasdorf clearly trying to play catch up after missing the last month. He has 20 saves at the first intermission. RPI/Harvard no score.

Jason Kasdorf finishes with 42 saves as RPI and Harvard play to a 0-0 tie.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Nice to see he's doing well for you guys. Didn't I say to pay attention to him?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
It blows my mind that no one includes him in discussions about our future goaltenders.

Mostly because he wasn't very good last year, and was just considered a throw in in the trade. He keeps this play up throughout the season and he'll definitely be in the conversation, though.

It's pretty incredible, we've went from a bare cupboard at the position to having three different prospects at different stages of development looking like they have decent shots to make it, not to mention a young starter in the NHL.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
There's also an out of sight out of mind factor. I wouldn't even know how to go about watching him play whereas Notre Dame and Minnesota are on tv often enough that keeping track of those college players is easy.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
It blows my mind that no one includes him in discussions about our future goaltenders.

Not no one if this counts:

From the Cal Peterson thread on 1/10/16

Perhaps. Kasdorf is also in the picture. He played well last July. If Buffalo does not resign Johnson, there will be an opening in Buffalo. Who knows what they are thinking about Lieuwen and Makarov.
. :):)

I think that if Lehner plays decently, Johnson will be dealt at the deadline and Ullmark will finish the year with the Sabres.

I also think that one or both of Lieuwen and Makarov will be gone next year. The only thing that might keep one around would be the need to have an experienced goalie in Rochester. In the Petersen thread I stated that there is an opportunity for him to step up and fill one of the openings in Rochester. Kasdorf could also have the same opportunity, but I doubt the Sabres would want two rookies in Rochester.

Ultimately, I think that Petersen turns pro and sticks in Rochester. Kasdorf is signed and starts the year in Elmira. And one of Lieuwen, Makarov or some experienced guy who they sign will start the season as number one in Rochester. Best case scenario - Petersen eventually wins the starting role in Rochester and looks good enough to make the NHL in 2017-2018. Ullmark plays well enough to compete for starting role in 2017-18. Lerner plays well enough to look like the guy they hoped he'd be in 2017-2018. Kasdorf plays well enough to be ready for AHL duty in 2017-18.

Leaving Murray with some options.....

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Playing less in Buffalo is worse than playing more in Rochester for Ullmark. Any goalie off the street can be the backup for the rest of this season.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Playing less in Buffalo is worse than playing more in Rochester for Ullmark. Any goalie off the street can be the backup for the rest of this season.

I guess that depends on the plan for Lehner. If they will use him until he drops, then yes - Lieuwen or Makarov can be the backup. If they are going to use him like Johnson/Ullmark then I think either team is fine

Last edited:

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
This isn't surprising really, Kasdorf clearly looked like the best of the goalies at rookie dev camp IMO, and that included Makarov and Petersen.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
This isn't surprising really, Kasdorf clearly looked like the best of the goalies at rookie dev camp IMO, and that included Makarov and Petersen.

I agree. That's what I was referring to when I said he played well this past July. I think he opened some eyes for sure which helped those paying attention to start thinking of him as more than a throw-in in the Kane deal.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@BuffaloSabres - Congrats to Sabres prospect Jason Kasdorf on being named #ECACHockey Goaltender of the Week!

A senior from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Jason Kasdorf went 1-0-1 last week, which included a 44-save shutout against eighth-ranked Cornell on Friday night at the Houston Field House.
Posting a 0.96 goals against average and a .970 save percentage, Kasdorf also had 20 stops in a 2-2 tie with Colgate on Saturday.

Last edited:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Kasdorf stopped 40/41 vs #1 Quinnipiac through 57 minutes .. RPI couldn't close it out in regualtion though, as they successfully killed a 4v6, but Anas potted a rebound among a scramble of skaters with 9.6 seconds .. now heading into OT with 43/45 saved through sixty minutes.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Finishes with 46/48 saved in a 2-2 tie .. RPI had to kill another penalty in OT and then Kasdorf came up large with a double save on a SH breakaway late.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects -

29 saves for Kasdorf as RPI comes from behind to down Brown 4-3.
Kasdorf unbeaten in last six, improves to 8-5-4 with a 2.05 GAA and .936 save%.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
Glad to hear he's got some actual promise. I really thought he was just a contract throw in.

Would be nice to have another piece to debate when the Kane trade gets discussed again and again and again.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
We'll see. The guy is 23. Leave a guy at the lower levels long enough, he'll look good eventually. Like Fasching, the proof is going to be when he has to look good next to NHL players in a training camp environment.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Glad to hear he's got some actual promise. I really thought he was just a contract throw in.

Would be nice to have another piece to debate when the Kane trade gets discussed again and again and again.

He wasn't a contract dump---he is an NCAA player thus can't be signed to a contract. He was expendable from Winnipeg's POV because they have a few young goalies in their system already.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
We'll see. The guy is 23. Leave a guy at the lower levels long enough, he'll look good eventually. Like Fasching, the proof is going to be when he has to look good next to NHL players in a training camp environment.

Its not uncommon for a goalie to take a longer path through the lower levels (as you put it) before getting a shot in the NHL. Let alone making it and becoming an established starter.

Goalies also tend to take the longest to develop and are in situations skaters usually don't find themselves in. With only two spots it not unusual for a goalie to get caught in a numbers game either with the team they are on or the organization they are in. Just look at the Amerks juggling three goalies with Ullmark back down at the moment. IIRC Makarov isn't playing because of this. I don't think he's been set down.

I agree that we still need to see him against pros (AHL or NHL). But that would apply to any prospect. He's showing well at the level he's at and 23 is at the upper ages but not that old relative to college hockey. Nothing wrong with feeling a bit more positive about him.

It will be interesting to see what Murray decides with the goalies this offseason.

Last edited:

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I thought he was the best goalie at the prospect camp over the summer, so to see him do well isn't that surprising. I'm assuming they'll sign him when his year is over.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
He wasn't a contract dump---he is an NCAA player thus can't be signed to a contract. He was expendable from Winnipeg's POV because they have a few young goalies in their system already.

Thats a very good point. I didn't think of that initially.

So he's definitely a guy TM wanted as opposed to WPG giving him a list of throw in contracts for Murray to select from.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Went to the RPI game last night to watch Kasdorf.

He was very good for about 55 minutes and then it all fell apart.

As I saw it last night (my only experience watching him live), he has very good rebound control. His weaknesses seem to be his lateral movement and positioning. Quite often his angles were off and an NHL player would make him pay for that pretty consistently. He also seemed very slow getting across on a few plays (one being the first goal against). He over committed to the shooter that was on the halfwall and instead of shooting the guy made the obvious pass to a forward streaking to the net for an easy tap in.

Overall though, they lost because they couldn't put the puck in the net, not because of Kasdorf. He looks promising but definitely has a lot to work on before he'll ever be a regular in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad