Prospect Info: Jason Kasdorf (2015 via trade) – '15-16: RPI #33 (NCAA)

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Talent Analysis

Kasdorf, a Winnipeg native, was a sentimental pick for the Jets in their first draft since re-locating from Atlanta and is the first player drafted from the Portage Terriers in 40 years (goalie Curt Ridley was selected by the Bruins in 1971). According to one MJHL coach, while Kasdorf was "a hometown pick for sure" he does have some talent and ideal size for a young goalie prospect.

Future

Jason Kasdorf has regained the starting role for RPI to start the 2014-15 season after missing all but two games last season. One of the top goalies in the ECAC Hockey league as a freshman in 2012-13, Kasdorf attended the Jets' development camp over the summer and started 11 of the Engineers' first 12 games. He and senior Scott Diebold, who filled in in Kasdorf's absence last season, give Rensselaer depth in the net. Kasdorf appears to have the potential to be a successful goalie at the professional as well.

Anyone have any info on him?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

http://www.rpiathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6250

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/ar...ltender-enjoys-a-honeymoon-period-4872867.php

:laugh:

http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/RPI-hockey-playing-well-with-Mayor-s-Cup-game-6031029.php

RPI's Jason Kasdorf appears to have returned to the form that helped him set an all-time RPI record with a 1.62 goals-against average as a freshman two years ago before shoulder surgery forced him to miss most of last season.

"The consistency and structure that we've been able to have in practice because of regular practice weeks, and him being healthy, is starting to get his confidence and timing back," Appert said of Kasdorf, who missed several games with an unrelated injury in late November. "Jason really values his process and how he does things — all the little details and habits. He values it as much as anybody I've ever coached."

It's all paid off lately as he's given up only three goals in RPI's past three wins, one of which was a shutout against Cornell last weekend. He was named ECAC Goaltender of the Week and is back to a more Kasdorf-like 91.6 save percentage.

"I think I was there at the start of the season," Kasdorf said of his recovery from the right shoulder operation. "Then I got hurt. I think I faded away from that (progress) a little bit just being off the ice for a while. Now getting a few more games underneath me, I'm feeling confident and back to my old self."

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
He seems okay, nothing special. I think the main reason we traded him is because we now have 3 prospect goalies ahead of him in the depth chart (Hellebuyck, Comrie, Phillips). I expect he'll get a better chance in Buffalo.

CupWanted

Memories of better days
Mar 4, 2008
I live in Troy and watched him play 2 games against Miami a coue weeks ago. He's a big kid, plays pretty deep in his net. Decent quickness. Definitely a blocker of the puck and not a catcher. Looked to me like his glove hand needs to be developed. Only 2 games against a far superior team so take it with a grain of salt.

Also RPI is pretty bad this year. I wouldn't read too much into his stats.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He seems okay, nothing special. I think the main reason we traded him is because we now have 3 prospect goalies ahead of him in the depth chart (Hellebuyck, Comrie, Phillips). I expect he'll get a better chance in Buffalo.

I'd take all of Hackett, Ullmark, and Makarov over him just looking at his career stats so far. :dunno:
Probably Petersen too. Not sure about Johansson.

CupWanted

Memories of better days
Mar 4, 2008
I'd take all of Hackett, Ullmark, and Makarov over him just looking at his career stats so far. :dunno:
Probably Petersen too. Not sure about Johansson.

He plays for an awful team. He gut hung out to dry by his defense regularly in the games I saw. Judging him on his stats is like judging Myers on his this year for our team

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
FYI, you can freely stream RPI games vs Brown and vs Yale tonight and tomorrow respectively. Also, here's an excerpt of relevant quotes and notes from Kasdorf traded to Buffalo:
“Obviously, Winnipeg being my hometown ...,†Kasdorf began. “...I wouldn’t say disappointed. I’m excited that Buffalo wants me and they’re a great organization and I’m happy to be a part of it.â€

Kasdorf, at 6-foot-4, 202 pounds, is the type of big goaltender that Sabres General Manager Tim Murray prefers.

While still an amateur, being involved in a trade involving big-league stars such as Myers and Kane gives Kasdorf a neat feeling of importance.

“It’s special being part of a big trade,†he said. “I had no idea it was going to happen. Then I got the call. It’s exciting. It’s change and change is good.â€

As a freshman, Kasdorf came of the bench midway through 2012-13 season and led the Engineers on a dramatic rise from last place in the ECAC Hockey to a second-place finish with his stellar netminding. He posted a 14-5-2 record with a 1.62 goals against average and 93.5 percent saves percentage.

He’s been hampered by injuries the past two seasons. Injuries to many of RPI’s top players, as well as to himself, have had an adverse affect on Kasdorf’s stats this season. He is 9-14-0, with a 2.94 GAA and 90.0 saves percentage.

It’s widely conjectured that Kasdorf will forego his senior year to turn professional at the end of this season. He has two years of eligibility remaining, won’t decide on next year until the season ends and Wednesday trade likely won’t have any affect on his decision.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Totally unimpressed with Kasdorf tonight. He got pulled early in the second period after allowing a third goal to lowly Brown. For the first period GA, Kasdorf was deep in his net on GA1, a breakaway backhand deke, and GA2 was a LW softee from the faceoff dot that managed to squirt through him. On GA3, he was slow to react to a pass in the slot and was caught deep in his net again, plus he was already down.

Gfycat wouldn't fetch from the stream, so for clips you'll have to wait for RPI to post 'em. However, I did get a chuckle from the coach's post-game. Relevant bits are from 1:44-2:28.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
If you get Time Warner Cable Sports Channel Albany/Hudson Valley, tonights Yale at RPI game will be televised LIVE on the channel - 7:00 pm ET.
So theres a chance you can see new Sabres prospect Jason Kasdorf in net for RPI. (LaxSabre - looks like a slight chance in net as he is been bad for RPI lately.
As Woodhouse mentioned - he got pulled from the Brown game last night - in the second period after allowing three goals.)
If you get Time Warner Cable Sports Channel Buffalo - Rochester - Syracuse - you can watch the game via Tape Delay - Sunday, February 15 - 7:00 pm ET.

Last edited:

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I've never watched him play. Bakes was discussing him yesterday on HH. He hadn't been familiar with Kasdorf previously, but did some research. He pointed out that Kasdorf had fanastic numbers as a freshman (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=125232). 23 GP, 1.62 GAA, 0.935 SV, 3 SO. RPI was actually good that year, and finished 2nd in the ECAC.

The next year, he had a big shoulder injury and played only 2 games, but he got red-shirted and still has 3 years of eligibility.

This year, he's got poor stats for a much worse RPI team. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to become the next Ryan Miller, but he might still have some potential.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Totally unimpressed with Kasdorf tonight. He got pulled early in the second period after allowing a third goal to lowly Brown. For the first period GA, Kasdorf was deep in his net on GA1, a breakaway backhand deke, and GA2 was a LW softee from the faceoff dot that managed to squirt through him. On GA3, he was slow to react to a pass in the slot and was caught deep in his net again, plus he was already down.

Gfycat wouldn't fetch from the stream, so for clips you'll have to wait for RPI to post 'em. However, I did get a chuckle from the coach's post-game. Relevant bits are from 1:44-2:28.

Ouch. That was a pretty blunt assessment of his play :laugh:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
"Tim Murray eats a contract"

He couldn't be under contract yet as he's an NCAA player. It's more like Tim Murray got a free roulette spin because Kasdorf's inclusion represents no loss of value to Winnipeg which has probably the best goaltending stable in the prospect world if we're weighing depth.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He couldn't be under contract yet as he's an NCAA player. It's more like Tim Murray got a free roulette spin because Kasdorf's inclusion represents no loss of value to Winnipeg which has probably the best goaltending stable in the prospect world if we're weighing depth.

Yep. I think the deal puts us at 47 contracts. We took on two (Kane/Bogo) and moved out 3 (Myers/Stafford/Armia).

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
People (and media) are saying that he was our best goalie in Development Camp. Better than Petersen, which impresses me.

Then again, not all goalies in our system were there. I think Ullmark and Lieuwen were both absent. Maybe others. So not sure what that means.

What do people think now about Kasdorf? Possible pro future career?

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
He definitely impressed at development camp/scrimmage. But if that is his best indicator of future potential that one can point to, I'd give the edge to Ullmark, Petersen and Makarov (in that order). All three have shown more consistent promise than Kasdorf. But his injuries have hurt his development curve/forecast. I'll be interested to see what he does at Rensslaer with a (hopefully) healthy season and another year of growth.

Last edited:

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
People (and media) are saying that he was our best goalie in Development Camp. Better than Petersen, which impresses me.

Then again, not all goalies in our system were there. I think Ullmark and Lieuwen were both absent. Maybe others. So not sure what that means.

What do people think now about Kasdorf? Possible pro future career?

Was definitley the most impressive goalie, then again he was on the better team. (Imo better team but it seemed pretty obvious throughout the game blue was better) And like you said, no Lieuwn Ullmark or Makarov who are all at least decent prospects. Definitely liked what I saw from Kasdorf more than Johannsen or Pettersen though, and there is something to be said there. Murray is building a nice little group of goalie prospects where more than likely one of them will pan out to be a solid pro tendy

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $40.00