Jason Botterill Discussion 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I always thought of Rutherford as a Mr Magoo bumbling idiot who stumbled into success through sheer longevity. Every other year in Carolina he changed philosophy from "we're going for it" to "we're building through the draft". I guess a lot of had to do with how much money Karmanos had to spend.

His Penguin tenure has been the same. One awful coach hire/ one good, that Jack Johnson deal, Kessel deal.

There's plenty of luck involved in the sportbut a lot of gm's make awful decisions.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I don't buy the thinking that he's built this team around the cap space coming off the books next season. For one most of that cap space is his mess. Secondly he played for this organization and would know first hand it's not exactly a buyer rich market come free agency. There's a good chance come July 2nd next year he's sitting with a bunch of free cap space and nobody to spend it on. And the tradeable assets he has acquired were set up to be traded this year and not next. Plus if that was his plan it doesn't excuse the complete lack of meaningful cohesion in the forward group. They don't play fast, they don't play hard, they don't play heavy, they don't play skilled... they just play soft. If his plan really was to turn over a roster in 2020 with fresh cap space then he could have at least iced a team that was hard to play against with a few veterans for Eichel/Reinhart/Mittelstadt and a veteran pairing for Dahlin.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I don't buy the thinking that he's built this team around the cap space coming off the books next season. For one most of that cap space is his mess. Secondly he played for this organization and would know first hand it's not exactly a buyer rich market come free agency. There's a good chance come July 2nd next year he's sitting with a bunch of free cap space and nobody to spend it on. And the tradeable assets he has acquired were set up to be traded this year and not next. Plus if that was his plan it doesn't excuse the complete lack of meaningful cohesion in the forward group. They don't play fast, they don't play hard, they don't play heavy, they don't play skilled... they just play soft. If his plan really was to turn over a roster in 2020 with fresh cap space then he could have at least iced a team that was hard to play against with a few veterans for Eichel/Reinhart/Mittelstadt and a veteran pairing for Dahlin.

Would've been nice to be competitive to be able to attract some talent to our team with that cap space.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Every time I see this thread pop up, I'm reminded of the old Henry Rollins bit about Edie Brickell. "....but he still lives."

His forward personnel choices in particular have been worrisome throughout and yet, time and again, the placeholder excuse/reason gets wheeled out. Three years running... people trying to talk up the cap space they will have and yet there is no indication that players want to play in WNY nor that they have the ELC's to play the minutes they're currently going to have coming off the books, especially at forward. Is there any team that has ever operated under the auspices of taking years to try to get competitive by icing filler? Never.

Good thing he keeps depreciating value on everything. He did it with Kane. He did it with O'Reilly. He did it with Beaulieu and even Fedun. Hell, he did it with his own 6th round draft pick. :biglaugh: There is nothing he doesn't touch that the prices aren't slashed. :laugh: He needs to go into retail.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Every time I see this thread pop up, I'm reminded of the old Henry Rollins bit about Edie Brickell. "....but he still lives."

His forward personnel choices in particular have been worrisome throughout and yet, time and again, the placeholder excuse/reason gets wheeled out. Three years running... people trying to talk up the cap space they will have and yet there is no indication that players want to play in WNY nor that they have the ELC's to play the minutes they're currently going to have coming off the books, especially at forward. Is there any team that has ever operated under the auspices of taking years to try to get competitive by icing filler? Never.

Good thing he keeps depreciating value on everything. He did it with Kane. He did it with O'Reilly. He did it with Beaulieu and even Fedun. Hell, he did it with his own 6th round draft pick. :biglaugh: There is nothing he doesn't touch that the prices aren't slashed. :laugh: He needs to go into retail.

Are you kidding, no self-respecting successful businessman would hire that type of person...

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
I wish I could bother to defend him. But something is seriously wrong with his isea of an acceptable forward core. I like his taste in D-men based on acquisitions.... but forwards may as well be from a 4th Mighty Ducks movie. I mean there are parallels?

Jack Eichel - Banks
Sam Reinhart - Charlie Conway
UPL - The Cat! - not a forward but funny
Vesey - that figure skating chick
Sheary - Averman
Dahlin - the figure skating chicks brother...the dude from Pete and Pete (needed the reference)

Theres more...but I'm out

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I wish I could bother to defend him. But something is seriously wrong with his isea of an acceptable forward core. I like his taste in D-men based on acquisitions.... but forwards may as well be from a 4th Mighty Ducks movie. I mean there are parallels?

Jack Eichel - Banks
Sam Reinhart - Charlie Conway
UPL - The Cat! - not a forward but funny
Vesey - that figure skating chick
Sheary - Averman
Dahlin - the figure skating chicks brother...the dude from Pete and Pete (needed the reference) Tommy

Theres more...but I'm out

Tommy was the character.

Girgensons - Luis (I wanted to Erod on here because of the Rodriguez name connection with the actor history, but Girgs history of falling works better)
Risto - Portman

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Tommy was the character.

Girgensons - Luis (I wanted to Erod on here because of the Rodriguez name connection with the actor history, but Girgs history of falling works better)
Risto - Portman

Risto is more Fulton to me, except he's 1 out of 5 for everything:
  • Slap shots without breaking his stick
  • Successful zone exits
  • Games with a positive corsi
  • Useful offensive zone pinch
  • Games with a big neutral zone hit

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
A lot of players can help our attack now, if this is certainly not another Jimmy Vesey, I hope he will finish the search in the near future and there will be a deal.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Making media outings to say stupid things... "Wait and see"? "We like our group?"

Awesome. I would have prefered he try not to act like he's doing something and actually... DID something. Even a waiver claim, a minor league contract signing... SOMETHING to show he has a f***ing pulse and gives a damn. Because his team plays like it doesn't give a damn and his actions point to someone who thinks he has all the answers and yet he too doesn't seem to give a damn.

This team is horseshit.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
I honestly can't imagine what he has in mind. Small move with a little depth scoring help? Hey Jason, Fabbri was traded last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad