Jason Botterill Discussion 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't know if Beane knows anything about hockey but would still have more confidence in him than Botterill running the Sabres.

The survey one guy did about just taking draft picks based on consensus lists turning out better than individual team drafts? Give him a list and turn him loose.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
The survey one guy did about just taking draft picks based on consensus lists turning out better than individual team drafts? Give him a list and turn him loose.
He could get a few posters including you Chain as advisors and consultants and by next year we would be playoff bound with Beane winning GM of the Year.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
He could get a few posters including you Chain as advisors and consultants and by next year we would be playoff bound with Beane winning GM of the Year.
Not sure if McDermott is NHL Head Coach material though...if nothing else we would be a physical team.

Deleted member 27798

As no one knows how much say the Pegula's had in the hiring of Housley, I don't think Botts can be condemned for it.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
As no one knows how much say the Pegula's had in the hiring of Housley, I don't think Botts can be condemned for it.

Then we’re in more trouble than we think. Since Pegulas have bought the Sabres, they have hired nothing but failures. If they continue to be involved in the hiring process, the Sabres will not be successful.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
This coach search is just another Botterill ****up added to the pile. Preparation. Lack of it. He knew he was firing Housley and while I disagree with it he had decided the next coach had to have ample NHL head coaching experience. That made his job, should have anyway, easier. Everybody knows who was or was likely to be out there. They are known quantities, interviewing those men is not to get a feeling whether they're a good fit for you, you should already know that. You don't kick tires with Todd McLellan or Alain Vigneault or Joel Quenneville. You decide which of them you want and you strike fast with your best offer. McLellan may have been very candid and told Botterill he had all but already made the decision to sign with LA. Fine, give him your $$$ term offer and quickly move to the next guy on your list.

How he does business is embarrassing. Word is out there that he's been asking potential coaches 'do you think you could fix Rasmus Ristolainen, if so how?'. This is almost as absurd as him telling Tage Thompson last June that he would play a Top 6 position in 2018-19.

If there was one NHL GM who had no business with the distraction of taking on a major role with a national team at the World Championships it would be Jason Botterill but there he is in Slovakia.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Is that the draft the OHL forward with the most points available strategy? I think there’s evidence that strategy outperforms most teams.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
People are so angry at Botterill like he ruined everything. Sorry guys, that was Murray. Botterill just wasn't smart enough to fix it.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I mean, sure, he could end up painting a masterpiece... but so far he’s just defecating on the floor.

I don't think Botterill is as bad a GM as some have expressed on this forum. A lot will depend on Skinner outcome and whether or not he sits on his hands this Summer.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I don't think Botterill is as bad a GM as some have expressed on this forum. A lot will depend on Skinner outcome and whether or not he sits on his hands this Summer.
If he manages to re-sign Skinner to something remotely reasonable, hes still a good GM for me. His trades overall are a net positive, attracting a player like Pilut for free is a positive. I still like what he has done with the drafting as well. His huge miss was hiring and keeping Housley far too long. Hopefully, if Krueger is indeed the hire, he fixes this mistake as well and if Krueger turns into a good hire only the anti-Botts agenda advocates here could say something bad about the man. Now Krueger and Skinner are still two very big ifs...but if both come true alright you've got be really lost the plot to argue Botts is a bad GM.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
If he manages to re-sign Skinner to something remotely reasonable, hes still a good GM for me. His trades overall are a net positive, attracting a player like Pilut for free is a positive. I still like what he has done with the drafting as well. His huge miss was hiring and keeping Housley far too long. Hopefully, if Krueger is indeed the hire, he fixes this mistake as well and if Krueger turns into a good hire only the anti-Botts agenda advocates here could say something bad about the man. Now Krueger and Skinner are still two very big ifs...but if both come true alright you've got be really lost the plot to argue Botts is a bad GM.

Even if you think every single other trade is a positive (which it surely is not), the ROR trade alone puts the net in the negative

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
He will always have the ROR trade as a stain on his resume here. There is literally nothing the guy can do to make up that loss except find another ROR for the same price or cheaper to fill that 2C void he left us with.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
He will always have the ROR trade as a stain on his resume here. There is literally nothing the guy can do to make up that loss except find another ROR for the same price or cheaper to fill that 2C void he left us with.
Bullshit. He got Skinner and Montour for secondary pieces. He got Pilut for free. if we re-sign Skinner and he doesn't just walk that more than makes up for any loss on ROR trade.

Reactions: Genny Screamer

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Bull****. He got Skinner and Montour for secondary pieces. He got Pilut for free. if we re-sign Skinner and he doesn't just walk that more than makes up for any loss on ROR trade.
Ehh.... Skinner needs to be re-signed to make it a "coup". Montour was not traded for secondary pieces. A first and a good prospect is a steep price but one that I would pay 10/10 for Montour. Trading ROR set this franchise back as many years as it takes to get a high quality 2C. It wasn't just the removal of ROR, it was the return too...it was just garbage.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Bull****. He got Skinner and Montour for secondary pieces. He got Pilut for free. if we re-sign Skinner and he doesn't just walk that more than makes up for any loss on ROR trade.
The Montour trade was far from a masterpiece, the Skinner trade is the only trade that has looked good and he may not even be here.

Its mind boggling we have no center spine and you can sit here and say he made up for it... good one...

... so good.

Reactions: Tatanka

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Ehh.... Skinner needs to be re-signed to make it a "coup". Montour was not traded for secondary pieces. A first and a good prospect is a steep price but one that I would pay 10/10 for Montour. Trading ROR set this franchise back as many years as it takes to get a high quality 2C. It wasn't just the removal of ROR, it was the return too...it was just garbage.
Did I say anything different?

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
The Montour trade was far from a masterpiece, the Skinner trade is the only trade that has looked good and he may not even be here.

Its mind boggling we have no center spine and you can sit here and say he made up for it... good one...

... so good.
It was actually a masterpiece and this board agreed.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
It was actually a masterpiece and this board agreed.
Far from a master piece and this board is wrong plenty, probably more so than not when you look back at polls of how people think the season will go, where the Sabres are at.

The trade might help us now but a masterpiece it is not. A first and Guhle for Montour...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad