Jason Botterill Discussion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Botterill on Montour - We see a player who has established himself in the National Hockey League, but we see a high ceiling there too. #Sabres

Botterill - It got our players very excited. We knew we had to give up something to bring Brendan in. It helps our group right now. #Sabres

Botterill on Montour - It's so difficult to create offense off the rush. Here's a player with that ability to create opportunities. #Sabres

Botterill - It's going to be very difficult to get into the playoffs. The next month will be extremely difficult. This is the next challenge for our group. #Sabres

Botterill - He's in Toronto right now, on his way to the rink. Will watch the game, interact with teammates, & be in the lineup tomorrow in Philadelphia. #Sabres

Botterill on Montour - Talking him yesterday, he was excited coming home. Buffalo being so close to his home. He's excited about the style of hockey we play. #Sabres

Botterill - We haven't won back to back games in a long time. If we stay even keeled & consistent, that's how you get into the playoffs. #Sabres

Botterill on Montour - Sheer speed, ability to get the puck out of his zone, create chances. #Sabres

Botterill re: Montour on @WGR550 "It's so difficult to create offense off the rush. Here's a player with that ability to create opportunities. Sheer speed, ability to get the puck out of his zone, create chances."

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Interesting, he dodged the beaulieu question. I didn't quite catch the exact question asked.
Q - "Beaulieu has been pretty open about his frustration about not being in the lineup...how much did the situation in January play into your decision that he had to be the defenseman removed from that logjam..."
A - "Mike, I'd love to answer your question, but I can't answer it right now. I will certainly follow up with you."

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Q - "Beaulieu has been pretty open about his frustration about not being in the lineup...how much did the situation in January play into your decision that he had to be the defenseman removed from that logjam..."
A - "Mike, I'd love to answer your question, but I can't answer it right now. I will certainly follow up with you."

Trade likely still in the registry queue so he cant talk about it

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The question I wanted asked: " If any other team in the league crashed and burned and was wrecked as bad as Housley wrecked this season the coach would be fired. How can you justify keeping around a guy who is flat out terrible at his job?"

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
The question I wanted asked: " If any other team in the league crashed and burned and was wrecked as bad as Housley wrecked this season the coach would be fired. How can you justify keeping around a guy who is flat out terrible at his job?"
Wouldn’t you rather just give him a silly little slap?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Botterill is an idiot, trades Nathan Beaulieu for a winnipeg 6th round pick. Same guy who traded a 3rd pick to Canadians for this guy. Botterill is proving everyday he's not capable to be in this job.

Botterill isn't a scout. I don't think he has any experience in that area. He's relying on the advice of his scouting staff. The amateur scouts are ok. The pro scouts leave a lot to be desired.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
And in the real world ... that question never gets asked, by anyone. For any team.

Reactions: BuffaloGooner

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
And in the real world ... that question never gets asked, by anyone. For any team.
Yes I'm well aware of that. Wish US sports media was like the soccer media everywhere else on earth where questions like that are asked every single day.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Sunk cost fallacy that we have to stay tied to Blow u forever because we gave up a 3rd on a project who didnt pan out.

This. Like everyone is talking about how crap Botts is for bringing in Scandella, Beau, and Sheary for low costs. Did they work out? No, but most of us liked the moves when they were made and saw the logic in them. It sucks they didn't work out but they were good risks at the time.

And before anyone calls me an apologist. Moves like the ROR deal are bad. Keeping Tage up is bad and keeping Olo down is bad. There is plenty of bad.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
By trading NB, now shows to you he can also fire Housley? Interesting. Explain how.

I think no player trade, or acquisition makes it more or less likely his intentions for Housley’s future :dunno:

Trading away Sobotka is a clear sign that Housley’s time is up

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
His coaching choice remains trash. The difference in coaching between Montreal and NYI last year and should be an eye-opener for everyone to the powers of hiring an experienced, quality coach.

Instead, we're still watching a squad tied to Phil and nothing has been done. Good job, Botts.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
His coaching choice remains trash. The difference in coaching between Montreal and NYI last year and should be an eye-opener for everyone to the powers of hiring an experienced, quality coach.

Instead, we're still watching a squad tied to Phil and nothing has been done. Good job, Botts.
That's been my eye test all year as I have attested time and time again.I have no agenda or ax to grind with any player or management.However everything is based on wins and losses, this isn't Pee Wee hockey .It all starts from the top and the Islanders and Montreal are my teams I compare our team to.They are in the playoffs we aren't.Fix the top whether it's GM or coach, get it right and success will follow especially since we have a great young core

Reactions: Chainshot

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
By trading NB, now shows to you he can also fire Housley? Interesting. Explain how.

I think no player trade, or acquisition makes it more or less likely his intentions for Housley’s future :dunno:
I’m assuming they mean it shows Botts is willing to part with someone he acquired/brought on. Just a guess.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

I get the general point you are making and agree that in some cases hiring a top end veteran coach can lead to a quick turnaround.

But Montreal didn’t hire a new coach this year. They hired Julien sometime in the 2nd half of the 2016/17 season.

And Montreal actually had a HUGE regression in 2017/18 under Julien.

They had 103pts in 2016/17, finished 1st in the Atlantic and had the 7th best record overall in the NHL.

In 2017/18 (under Julien) they fell by over 30pts in the standings and finished 4th last in the entire NHL.

It took a major shake up before the turnaround happened. Marc Bergevin traded away some of their biggest name players over this past summer (their captain Pacioretty, Galchenyuk) in what many called “questionable” moves at the time. Bergevin said that changes had to be made to their core guys. I guess even Claude Julien couldn’t fix what was wrong in that locker room.... lol.

Their turnaround this season has definitely been impressive, though.

And Trotz has done an amazing job in his first year in NY, for sure. Washington was nuts to let him go (IMO). I wonder if it was all just money related? Their owner is notoriously cheap when it comes to hiring coaches.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
3-1: Jason Botterill with Bulldog on WGR (13:26)

#Sabres GM Jason Botterill is live with Bulldog at @716FoodandSport! Listen live here.

Botterill on Skinner - Until there's a contract signed, that's when you feel 100%, I love that both sides are working to get a deal done. #Sabres

Botterill on Skinner - The deadline never came into play. Both sides are working to get a deal done here. There's never been threats or anything like that. #Sabres

Botterill - We felt Montour could improve our team down the road, and help us right away. #Sabres

Botterill on 2nd line center - We understood we were putting a young player in difficult spots. Did we think Berglund could ease the minutes on Casey? For sure. That didn't materialize. #Sabres

Botterill on 2nd line center - Rodrigues being a swiss-army knife at center or wing has helped. #Sabres

Botterill said he never considered asking Skinner to waive his no movement clause.

Botterill - Ask any player on our roster who played at a young age, it's a grind in the 2nd half of the season. Casey played at Minnesota high school. This has been a big jump for him. #Sabres

Botterill on Mittelstadt - He's a competitive young player, who gets frustrated when he's not producing. But you see he continues to fight on those 1-on-1 battles. #Sabres

Botterill on Reinhart - He's so talented finishing plays, having the puck on his stick. You're seeing this year he's wanting the puck more. He's creating chances without Jack, driving his own line. #Sabres

Botterill on Dahlin - Young d-men, he still struggles with the size of players down low. He continues to be the exact type of player we need to take the next step. Getting the puck out of our zone to the o-zone. #Sabres

Botterill on Ristolainen's minutes - He wants to be in all situations. We need to continue as an organization to have more competition, more depth. Taking a few minutes away will help him out a lot. #Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad