Jason Botterill Discussion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
I don’t have a problem with the slow go just look at Winnipeg their team looks fantastic now. The goal is to win a cup not just be in the playoffs. Botts said he was gonna do the same but I feel like he’s being pressured. His actions don’t exactly match up with his plan so I’m starting to get worried.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
The fact that he hasn't called anyone up to get a legit look at them like Olofsson is just bad management. You can't go into next year assuming anyone from the AHL gets a spot on the roster if you don't even see them at the NHL level. So either Fathead is going to throw players into the lineup like Thompson sink or swim or we're going to have a bunch of useless turds on our team next year that we get to bitch about.

Reactions: Chainshot

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
I don’t have a problem with the slow go just look at Winnipeg their team looks fantastic now. The goal is to win a cup not just be in the playoffs. Botts said he was gonna do the same but I feel like he’s being pressured. His actions don’t exactly match up with his plan so I’m starting to get worried.

We have nothing in common with the Jets.
We are the Oilers of the East.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
On the topic of Housley, weren't most of us on board with the hiring at the time? (just looked at the poll results)

Last edited:

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
3-1: Jason Botterill with Bulldog on WGR (13:26)

Botterill on Reinhart - He's so talented finishing plays, having the puck on his stick. You're seeing this year he's wanting the puck more. He's creating chances without Jack, driving his own line. #Sabres

Botterill on Ristolainen's minutes - He wants to be in all situations. We need to continue as an organization to have more competition, more depth. Taking a few minutes away will help him out a lot. #Sabres

Does he not communicate these things with the head coach or does the coach actively ignore him?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
On the topic of Housley, weren't most of us on board with the hiring at the time? (just looked at the poll results)

lol

What were the results? I think some of us had concerns because of his lack of experience, but most liked that he was a player and Nashville was good and the media said he was a hot coach, so good enough.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
And in the real world ... that question never gets asked, by anyone. For any team.

To be fair, there are not a lot of pro sports teams that would keep a guy like Housley after year 1, let alone this collapse.

I know ppl were frustrated with Bylsma teams, but those teams were not remotely tank worthy and Housley pulled that move off in year one.

Maybe a better general question, how many teams would keep a coach they hired who led a team to a significant drop in the standings, despite no clear loss in talent?

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
What were the results? I think some of us had concerns because of his lack of experience, but most liked that he was a player and Nashville was good and the media said he was a hot coach, so good enough.
Yeah it was pretty close to a landslide. I was just pointing it out!

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
He was a solid hire, one of the top assistant coaches in hockey. I prefer retreads in the NHL. They have better success than 1st time coaches.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Murray's teams finished with 81 and 78 points. I wonder about Bott's job security if he can't get this team to finish with at least 82 points. I think Phil is gone regardless.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He has to see that entrenching on his coaching and personnel choices are not working.

That flukey 10-game streak isn't worth even remotely keeping Phil through the end of the season. End him now.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
He was a solid hire, one of the top assistant coaches in hockey. I prefer retreads in the NHL. They have better success than 1st time coaches.

The only “evidence” that he was a solid candidate, was the typical coach speak about how much he helped in Nashville.

What this team needed,what were the issues with the team (and what needed to be done to fix it) and what a team, that hired another 1st time GM, needed to stabilize a roster in the time of of the hire, shows that Housley was anything but a solid hire.

I think people saw he coached a group of defenseman that were rooted to years of productive play, that continue to be productive (which IMO shows he didn’t have that much of an impact), and they tied in that he was a defenseman, and this group of defenseman are playing well, so he would be able to fix.

Even if that was true, he still had to account for creating a set of standards for an organization, he still needed to create a competitive system that utilizes the forwards, he needed to construct lines to use his roster in its most effective use. There was zero evidence of any of this, and here we are complaining about his use of forwards and lines construction.

I could Understand why people liked the hire at the time, but I didn’t like it then, but was willing to give it a go (because I could be wrong on my opinions of the guy and hire), and I don’t like it now and nothing has changed except my opinions on how much of an impact he as a coach himself had on the Nashville players (it’s lower now).

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I get when front office personnel speak highly of the next hot topic HC candidates. Housley had those nice things said about him, but what had me sold was the Nashville D-corps talking like Housley was a "Dman whisperer" or something. Those players spoke so highly of him with no apparent reason to lie, that Housley seemed like a good get on the rise of a promising career. Now he can't ever seem to get the best out of his roster, failing to see good FW combos or failing to coach the same mistakes out of his D-corps. I still acknowledge that he has a bunch of lesser players to work with, but the complete lack of Dzone awareness on a consistent basis just shouldn't be happening under any circumstances.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
"We just drafted Malkin and Crosby. Let's build up Wilkes-Barre."

-- something that was never said in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Botterill's 2017 draft looks like a home run. 2018 wasn't bad either getting that Dahlin guy. The future is bright. Housely is just a pimple on the ass of the universe.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Botterill's 2017 draft looks like a home run. 2018 wasn't bad either getting that Dahlin guy. The future is bright. Housely is just a pimple on the ass of the universe.

Are we separating general team future, from the successful plan of the Gm?

Because I don’t see how Botts gets a lick of credit for Dahlin.

Murray didn’t get much for the tear down and getting Eichel and Reinhart. But at least that was the plan.

Unless it was a super secret plan, the evidence says that Botts getting Dahlin was both unbelievably lucky at the lottery and coming in last was absolutely not his intention.

I would love to see how people would react if we got Svechnikov, and we were cruising for another bottom 5 finish.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I liked Murray's drafting too.

Last edited by a moderator:

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Fingers crossed this off season Botts doesn't make another ROR type trade giving away a good player to shake up the team before (if ever) realizing it's the coach he hired and also his own inability to find quality depth players holding this team back.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce