TSN: Jason Botchford - The Athletic " Ottawa rejected waay Better offers on Karlsson"

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I can somewhat understand the idea of not trading a Franchise/Megastar in the same division or even conference, because standings, but...
It's not like Dorion expects his team to fight for the playoffs.... Right...? RIGHT?

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Really can't see Tampa offering LESS than that.... but ya, do you imagine a Series Tampa vs Ottawa...
I think we would have 100% given up Cal Foote and other futures. Cal Foote is our top prospect (in my opinion), and if Karlsson was coming back, completely extendable. But maybe now he can make the team this year and have a Sergachev year, and replace Stralman on the second pairing for next season... a guy can dream I guess.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Not surprised. He did the same thing with Hoffman. It takes an absolute idiot to care what conference you ship a guy to. Take the best return, who gives a flying f*** whether you play that team two or four times per season.

16w

Jun 23, 2003
the way things are going, best case scenario ottawa is going to miss the playoffs this year by 3 points after going 0 and 2 against san jose.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
100% money motivated,even the return....Hardly a surprise that we took more, Meh.... Than actual paid nhlers

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Is that really saying much? What they got from the Sharks borders insulting. Literally any other team could have offered better. But because Ottawa thinks they'll contend again before he retires (I very likely doubt that at this point if ownership continues to step in even if they draft well for the next several years) they refuse better offers from Eastern Conference teams.

As a basement team, you just take the best offer available, regardless of who it's from. I get it that Ottawa's salty that Dallas wouldn't give them Miro for Karlsson, but damn. Maybe another reason why they didn't trade him to Dallas was because of the Jason Spezza trade.

I'm confused at the logic here. Would not shipping Karlsson to the eastern conference lower the price tag? Sure. But, do we think that Ottawa decided only to talk to SJ? That they rejected better offers from other western conference teams?

Perhaps they wanted to send Karlsson off to 10pm EST start land rather than any western team? Kinda like the Bruins did with Joe Thornton.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Tampa definitely offered more.

But Ottawa is stupid anyway. If San Jose trades Karlsson to the East, all Ottawa gets is another 1st rounder. So why not just take the better deal from the East?

But like I keep saying, everything Ottawa does is the opposite of what a well-runed organization should do. So it's no surprise.

Reactions: Post Karl Malone

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Not exactly surprising considering the return they got for someone of that calibre. The haul should have been much, much more.

My guess, it's only a guess, is they wanted as little cap coming back as possible. Most teams would need send contracts to the Sens to make a Karlsson trade work. I'm guessing that San Jose could take on the most maybe.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm confused at the logic here. Would not shipping Karlsson to the eastern conference lower the price tag? Sure. But, do we think that Ottawa decided only to talk to SJ? That they rejected better offers from other western conference teams?

Perhaps they wanted to send Karlsson off to 10pm EST start land rather than any western team? Kinda like the Bruins did with Joe Thornton.

Doesn't really matter why. Only matters that it's ridiculous for a rebuilding team to care where its star is going, rather than about the assets coming back.

TB could have sneezed a better deal than that, completely by accident, and still not been hurt by it.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
What a joke, the NHL should be investigating this and vetoing the trade if it's true. This is just showing how incompetent Ottawa's management (Melnyk) really is. The NHL should step in and force Melnyk out under the guise of collusion. Absolutely ridiculous that the best dman in the world was dealt for scraps when he could've fetched a top prospect.

Collusion? If there were better offers, he doesn't have to take them. If he only wanted to trade him to one specific team that's not even collusion.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
If the guy is 100% sure I would expect he would know some more details, if he didn't share anything more then I'm inclined to doubt his legitimacy.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
I'm still of the idea that Melnyk told Dorian the deal had to be a cheap one. Not only one from the West, but, featuring players & prospects that won't cost him much, now and over the next few years. If they traded for "top players" like Sergachev, or Heiskenen, etc., it would cost $$$ to resign them. Melnyk doesn't want that.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Doesn't really matter why. Only matters that it's ridiculous for a rebuilding team to care where its star is going, rather than about the assets coming back.

TB could have sneezed a better deal than that, completely by accident, and still not been hurt by it.

Who won the Drouin / Sergachev trade ? Lets stop with speculation Tampa would have offered more. If so, SY can come out and say it out loud...he ain't the GM no more.

I'm still of the idea that Melnyk told Dorian the deal had to be a cheap one. Not only one from the West, but, featuring players & prospects that won't cost him much, now and over the next few years. If they traded for "top players" like Sergachev, or Heiskenen, etc., it would cost $$$ to resign them. Melnyk doesn't want that.

Exactly this. This wasn't just a supermegastar being on the market. It was all about Melnyk going cheap and maybe even doing it on purpose as ''f*** you Sens fans''. The guy won't be the team owner in the next 10 years, he's already on the bye bye tour, lets just hope it takes less than 9 years.

Reactions: Puckrobber

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
What a joke, the NHL should be investigating this and vetoing the trade if it's true. This is just showing how incompetent Ottawa's management (Melnyk) really is. The NHL should step in and force Melnyk out under the guise of collusion. Absolutely ridiculous that the best dman in the world was dealt for scraps when he could've fetched a top prospect.

Incompetency doesn't suggest collusion. For collusion to occur you're going to have to prove how there was an agreement to limit open market competition whether it be by defrauding a team or gaining an unfair market advantage. And given what we know, Ottawa put a condition on a 1st round pick that would be met if SJS trades Karlsson to the East. That alone shows that they did not intend to trade Karlsson to another Eastern Conference team.

If you're talking in terms of the players acquired in the trade. They are all on cost-controlled contracts and Ottawa saves money in salary paid compared to if they had kept Karlsson. Again, that points to Melnyk being more concerned about the bottom line as opposed to caring about the well-being of his team.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
so you trade him to the team in your other division . you play them 1 more time then teams in the other conference. why would you take back less for only seeing him 1 more time a year.
NHL GMs can be really dumb.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Can anyone wait until Lightning sign Karlsson in the offseason putting him back in the East and their division. Lol, that would be!

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Getting Karlsson was all apart of San Jose's diabolical plan. They traded for Hoffman then moved him to the East to a team within Ottawa's division.

gach

Aug 2, 2018
As a canucks fan who had to listen to him rage pontificate into the void for years I can assure you that while the publication may be legit, Botch is not.

He has been wrong on so many things and when is called out on it he goes on a full blocking wave on social media so he can write another garbage article about something.

I have no regard for Dorion’s abilities as a GM (thanks for Dahlen) but I’m sure there’s much better sources to prove it than

Yes we heard you the first time

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
I have no idea who he is besides hearing the name in passing. I just have heard people really rave about The Athletic. I am super unknowledgeable with most sports journalism though.

He's a long-time columnist for a local Vancouver newspaper, covering the Canucks, but is a complete hack. Dude creates headlines just for shock value and half of what he writes is speculation and unreliable. He takes grains of truth and spins it into something bigger.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad