TSN: Jason Botchford - The Athletic " Ottawa rejected waay Better offers on Karlsson"

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Not really a surprise, have been tons of reports about Dorion beeing more interested in trading players to the west than getting max value...

Reactions: Iceman

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Do you know if he said anything about when those offers came in? It would be logical to get better offers before the trade deadline last year as it would have been 2 playoff runs instead of 1.

Reactions: CrypTic

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I am curious to know what some of those Eastern conference offers were.

Yep, at this point, anyone can say anything they want with 1000% certainty.

Yzerman or any other GM will not come out and say well we offered this package deal for Karlsson and Ottawa said no. They don't backstab each, at least not that way.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
honestly dorion is so stupid. in one year he can go to the east if he wants to. how can he not understand that.

tb probably had the best offer. way better than the garbage we got.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
If that is true, it the goofiest of moves. I would have thought NHL GMs would be above that kind of thinking. Worry about getting value for your own team (especially when you probably won't be competitive for a number of years). Taking less value so that you play against him 2-6 times fewer per year is asinine. It's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Especially when the only chances you have of selling tickets this season is when Montreal, Toronto and Karlsson visit.

By trading him to the west, that's like 1-2M in revenue given up!

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Why is that? I thought the Athletic was pretty highly regarded.
As a canucks fan who had to listen to him rage pontificate into the void for years I can assure you that while the publication may be legit, Botch is not.

He has been wrong on so many things and when is called out on it he goes on a full blocking wave on social media so he can write another garbage article about something.

I have no regard for Dorion’s abilities as a GM (thanks for Dahlen) but I’m sure there’s much better sources to prove it than Botch.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
As others have pointed out, why would a supposedly rebuilding team care if their biggest trading chip plays in their conference or even division? As painful as it would be to see Karlsson in a Leafs jersey, I would have been ok if it meant Ottawa got, say, Nylander (with a pre approved extension) and Dermott in return rather than the scraps Dorion settled for.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Botchford would be ambulance chasing if this job falls through. I wouldn’t believe anything that comes out of his tainted face

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I might miss the obvious, but can someone explain this to me?

I can imagine why you wouldn't want to trade a good player to another team in the same conference when you're trying to compete (and especially if that team is in the same division). However, Ottawa is doing a total rebuild and isn't expected to compete for at least 3-4 seasons. Why wouldn't you trade a player to a team in the same conference if that gives you a better result? It's not like that team is going to steal your playoff spot when you're dead last anyway... Especially when the player you're trading is going to be a UFA at the end of the season.
True... It would even sell more tickets too!

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Ottawa doesn't want him in Tampa or Toronto, that's what the conditions were about this season.

They basically traded him to the team they feel has the best chance of re-signing him so Tampa can't get him in FA.

They're a petty horribly run organization.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
For a team with attendance issues, you'd think they'd want Karlsson returning to play as often as possible

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I think everyone kind of expected this to be the case anyway. There's zero chance that was the best offer out there, because it was a trash deal.

When you a rebuilding your team from the ground up, where your player goes should be the absolute last concern. The first should be quality of return, especially when you know he's not signing and extension ahead of time and there's a chance he could end up in the East as a UFA anyway. Just completely baffling by the Sens. All around.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Would be bizarre if true - are they worried they'll lose to Tampa or something in a playoff series in the near future?

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I think everyone kind of expected this to be the case anyway. There's zero chance that was the best offer out there, because it was a trash deal.

When you a rebuilding your team from the ground up, where your player goes should be the absolute last concern. The first should be quality of return.
Melnyk wants Sens fans to pretend like Karlsson never happened. Having him in Tampa would make a story everytime we played each other.

He doesn’t give a shit what the return will be.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Is that really saying much? What they got from the Sharks borders insulting. Literally any other team could have offered better. But because Ottawa thinks they'll contend again before he retires (I very likely doubt that at this point if ownership continues to step in even if they draft well for the next several years) they refuse better offers from Eastern Conference teams.

As a basement team, you just take the best offer available, regardless of who it's from. I get it that Ottawa's salty that Dallas wouldn't give them Miro for Karlsson, but damn. Maybe another reason why they didn't trade him to Dallas was because of the Jason Spezza trade.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Also Botch is notorious for pretending he has some sort of insider connection when in reality he isn’t any more connected than the average poster on this board. He enjoys his histrionics and insessant negativity to a whole new level, it’s actually impressive.

And for sure my dude, send me a DM because I don’t social media well anymore.

Cmon folks, do we all really believe for a second that this SJ offer was the best Dorion could get? Lets get real here, EK is a generational talent. The Habs got better quality for Patches than we got for EK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad