Jason Bonsignore interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotToddy

Aug 2, 2002
Visit site
Interesting TED talk about motivation:

Truth be told, JB really didn't sound like he wanted it very badly. I know plenty of drafted players that couldn't quite make the cut. They spend their evenings partying, eating pizza, and not really focusing on their careers.

If a professional athlete isn't conditioned, then there's proof they aren't taking it seriously. They DON'T have a good diet. They AREN'T exercising.

I work as a Character Art Director for a video game studio in Montreal, and I review thousands of applicants for jobs. Most of those applicants have zero understanding of anatomy, and zero understanding of proportions, and form. It's all there, yet almost all of them defend their bad anatomy, tooth and nail, rather than admit it needs work, and take a class.

The other thing I should note is although negative reinforcement only works with a few people. NHL'ers deal with incredulous amounts of negative reinforcement through the media, and the fans. ESPECIALLY the fans in Edmonton.

If a player is playing poorly in the NHL, they will not be coddled to play better. They will be told they are a 'bum' then ran out of town.

If Jason Bonsignore was a player that needed positive reinforcement, he really never had a shot at becoming an NHLer.

I couldn't agree more.

Elite conditioning and nutrition are table stakes for professional athletes now. If they refuse to do it there careers will most lilkely be short.

It's what I couldn't understand about the Schremp excitement. The guy looked doughy everytime he took his shirt of in his first few camps, then we all get excited when he comes to camp one year in ..wait for it...shape.

Contrast it to Gagne who was running up sandhills with a tire strapped to his back as an 18 year old and looked like he stepped out of Men's fitness magazine.

Hmm..who is going to have success.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Yea thats totally what I was saying in my post... :handclap:

Player's Edmonton brought in recently who sucked/didnt come close to expectations.

O'sullivan
Lupul
Penner(Last season notwithstanding)
Foster
Comrie
Cogs and gags and Nilson nose diving since their rookie season.
Smid's inability to get any better.

I could go on here, face it our development program sucks. Had it not been for the last couple of draft picks this organization would be going nowhere.

O'sullivan
Penner
Foster
Comrie

Were all brought into the organization as NHL players, how does that reflect their dvelopment program even in the slightest???

I'm not sure if you have noticed either but in the last few years the Oilers have mademajor changes and added extra focus to their developmental system, judging it on the past isn't really fair.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I love how he played the vic card

my reaction after relistening to it--is that he thought being a high first rounder meant he was special or something and deserved special treatment

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I love how he played the vic card

my reaction after relistening to it--is that he thought being a high first rounder meant he was special or something and deserved special treatment

At a certain point in that conversation I fully expected to hear him say that he "came to town with the promise of a new job, spent all his money on a bus ticket getting here and now that the job fell through he's trying to get home. Can you spare some change, man."

For some serious analysis:

I don't know when NHL teams started rigorously testing players personalities and character but I have a hard time believing that a JB would be anything but a third round flyer today. He didn't have the stats in his draft year (60 points!) and he never achieved anything of note during his first seasons in the OHL and all of that dirt that Gare Joyce dug up in his book would have been laid to bear sooner rather than later. He was drafted on talent and size alone and based on that I still believe the Oilers got the best player in that draft. Obviously, a 6'4" frame doesn't make a hockey player.

He did come off as a whiney kid who probably would've been a cautionary tale for whoever drafted him but I think he shed some light on the shortcomings of this organization and its drafting and development policies back in the day - shortcomings we've all been quick to attack them for committing. Many kids failed in this organization and if you asked others they'd probably have similar stories of a desperate Glen Sather busting their chops to be better while other teams were teaching and mentoring their players to greatness. Or at least NHL jobs.

I appreciate that he came forward and spoke.

Thanks for posting this conversation. I would've never noticed it.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Are you aware that Daniel Alfredsson was also drafted that year?

Many good players were in that draft - some who are still playing today.

I'm saying that if all you weigh when looking at a hockey player is size, skating and physical skills the guy had it all. Based on that and that alone the Oilers got the best physical specimen. Unfortunately that's all he had going on for him which is why he is where he is today.

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
Many good players were in that draft - some who are still playing today.

I'm saying that if all you weigh when looking at a hockey player is size, skating and physical skills the guy had it all. Based on that and that alone the Oilers got the best physical specimen. Unfortunately that's all he had going on for him which is why he is where he is today.

I misunderstood what you wrote - read it too fast I guess. I read it as despite that pick we ended up with the best player from that draft (Smyth), and I was reminding you of Alfredsson.

Hukt awn foniks fer mi!

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
O'sullivan
Penner
Foster
Comrie

Were all brought into the organization as NHL players, how does that reflect their dvelopment program even in the slightest???

I'm not sure if you have noticed either but in the last few years the Oilers have mademajor changes and added extra focus to their developmental system, judging it on the past isn't really fair.

That they come here and do worse then before? Players can develop after a rookie season...
:help:

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
the fraud was Joey Moss' fault, he wasn't friendly to Jason when he was being a bust for Edmonton.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
This guy's angry because he's one of the few guys who bought a Bonsignore jersey.

it would be awesome to see some Bonsignore jerseys hit the ice tonight. TSN calls a guy up to pull up dirt from 20 years ago. They treat some of our boys like crap in their interviews. Why is TSN allowed in the building? Its not like the franchise needs the money. Its like 3 blondes fighting over a brush and i'm kind of tired of the Madonna squad on the panel anyway. but enough of the rant... As I recall, there were a lot of draft picks that turned out to be busts around that time. I can't imagine Sather was too happy about having to destruct the team of destiny. If the ownership wasn't in complete disarray at the time. we may have had a farm team 15 years earlier! But some of it had to be brought on himself. that was a funny draft, a fair bit of utility in the 3rd rnd, Hejduk in the 4th, alfredsson in the 6th, holmstrom in the 10th... that's what we could use right now... One of our real late picks to turn into a gem that helps re-shape a franchise. I wish bum's didn't have cellphones, then TSN wouldn't have a pot to stir in.

edit. Edmonton had a farm team at the time. Smyth looked like a gem on it. Bonsignore looked like Chris Vande Velde if he was drafted 4th overall

Last edited:

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
the fraud was Joey Moss' fault, he wasn't friendly to Jason when he was being a bust for Edmonton.

yup, i remember hearing how Jason blamed everyone but himself for being a bust when i remember watching him play and he sucked!! Bonsignoire was NOTORIOUSLY lazy on the ice and has NOBODY to blame for his lack of NHL success than HIMSELF!

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
it would be awesome to see some Bonsignore jerseys hit the ice tonight. TSN calls a guy up to pull up dirt from 20 years ago. They treat some of our boys like crap in their interviews. Why is TSN allowed in the building? Its not like the franchise needs the money. Its like 3 blondes fighting over a brush and i'm kind of tired of the Madonna squad on the panel anyway. but enough of the rant... As I recall, there were a lot of draft picks that turned out to be busts around that time. I can't imagine Sather was too happy about having to destruct the team of destiny. If the ownership wasn't in complete disarray at the time. we may have had a farm team 15 years earlier! But some of it had to be brought on himself. that was a funny draft, a fair bit of utility in the 3rd rnd, Hejduk in the 4th, alfredsson in the 6th, holmstrom in the 10th... that's what we could use right now... One of our real late picks to turn into a gem that helps re-shape a franchise. I wish bum's didn't have cellphones, then TSN wouldn't have a pot to stir in.

this interview was 2 years ago

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
I can understand how people would be disappointed with JB's play as an Oiler but I find it funny how noone here is willing to hold Sather's feet to the fire for drafting him in the first place or for the way they treated a draft pick.

As an Oiler fan over the last 35 years I've been able to tell right off the bat whether an Oilers prospect is the apple of someone's eye or not b4 they ever prove themselves on their 1st regular season shift.

Hemsky, Map, JFJ are textbook examples of players who made the Oilers starting roster before they ever proved squat in the nhl and who had a hard time playing their way off of it. Hemsky stuck around but talk about a privileged life - in his entire career he has yet to be held accountable for not giving a **** in his own end. I said from day he was a liability and 11 seasons later he's a -12 after only 24 games. People here wonder why the Oilers can't trade the guy lol. Other teams just love playing against him.

Satan was a guy who never got respect here despite his uncanny knack for scoring goals. He played on a crappy lackluster team and never got in with the top linemates but always found a way to finish on nothing plays. Ciger was treated like crap, had a 30+ goal season and Sather said "he could stay in the CZ Rep and just drink beer for all I care".

The trouble with the Oilers over the last 20+ years isn't guys like Bonsignore not "panning out" it's the arrogance and stupidity of the Oilers management. Sending SS to the minors and paying him $5M to play for Dallas' farm team is another prime example of that.

If Bonsignore was the only guy to speak out I'd laugh at him but it seems like everyone with any balls who leaves this org has similar comments to make. You either get into the clique here or u don't and the ability to play hockey comes second.

Billybaroo*

I can understand how people would be disappointed with JB's play as an Oiler but I find it funny how noone here is willing to hold Sather's feet to the fire for drafting him in the first place or for the way they treated a draft pick.

As an Oiler fan over the last 35 years I've been able to tell right off the bat whether an Oilers prospect is the apple of someone's eye or not b4 they ever prove themselves on their 1st regular season shift.

Hemsky, Map, JFJ are textbook examples of players who made the Oilers starting roster before they ever proved squat in the nhl and who had a hard time playing their way off of it. Hemsky stuck around but talk about a privileged life - in his entire career he has yet to be held accountable for not giving a **** in his own end. I said from day he was a liability and 11 seasons later he's a -12 after only 24 games. People here wonder why the Oilers can't trade the guy lol. Other teams just love playing against him.

Satan was a guy who never got respect here despite his uncanny knack for scoring goals. He played on a crappy lackluster team and never got in with the top linemates but always found a way to finish on nothing plays. Ciger was treated like crap, had a 30+ goal season and Sather said "he could stay in the CZ Rep and just drink beer for all I care".

The trouble with the Oilers over the last 20+ years isn't guys like Bonsignore not "panning out" it's the arrogance and stupidity of the Oilers management. Sending SS to the minors and paying him $5M to play for Dallas' farm team is another prime example of that.

If Bonsignore was the only guy to speak out I'd laugh at him but it seems like everyone with any balls who leaves this org has similar comments to make. You either get into the clique here or u don't and the ability to play hockey comes second.

This is funny..
It wasn't JB's fault for been shifty and having no work ethic. Its the Oilers..
Kinda like its the medias and Oilers mngmt fault for Larionovs been a fool and Ya k playing like a pee wee player..

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
This is funny..
It wasn't JB's fault for been shifty and having no work ethic. Its the Oilers..
Kinda like its the medias and Oilers mngmt fault for Larionovs been a fool and Ya k playing like a pee wee player..
You can choose to only see what you want to see in it, that's your choice.

Not sure if you're aware of Ryan Smyth's pre-draft history with Slats or not... Ryan is from Banff where he was long-scouted by no less than Sather himself (Sather owns a lot of real estate and spends a lot of time there). Smyth was once run over by Glenn Anderson... He was an Oiler long b4 he was an Oiler.

Smyth and Bonsignor did come into the org under a very different set of circumstances despite their proximity in the draft whether u know it or not.

The Oil were on record saying that JB was a home run or miss type of pick, why take a chance on an "or miss" at 4th overall?

Never mentioned Yak myself but that was a botched pick from the get-go. The 3rd line is no place for a 1st overall draft pick, neither is the 2nd line. Is it worth it to take a player at #1 if that's where he's going to play for your team? They should have traded down knowing they had no place for him to play and he was ready for an nhl job. He's a diminishing asset here, and that was almost pre-determined.

Ironlife

Jul 13, 2011
Calgary

I am assuming you mean sheldon souray.. he got sent to the Hershey bears... Which is the affiliate of the Washington Caps... Do some research next time before you go spouting off:P

Billybaroo*

You can choose to only see what you want to see in it, that's your choice.

Not sure if you're aware of Ryan Smyth's pre-draft history with Slats or not... Ryan is from Banff where he was long-scouted by no less than Sather himself (Sather owns a lot of real estate and spends a lot of time there). Smyth was once run over by Glenn Anderson... He was an Oiler long b4 he was an Oiler.

Smyth and Bonsignor did come into the org under a very different set of circumstances despite their proximity in the draft whether u know it or not.

The Oil were on record saying that JB was a home run or miss type of pick, why take a chance on an "or miss" at 4th overall?

Never mentioned Yak myself but that was a botched pick from the get-go. The 3rd line is no place for a 1st overall draft pick, neither is the 2nd line. Is it worth it to take a player at #1 if that's where he's going to play for your team? They should have traded down knowing they had no place for him to play and he was ready for an nhl job. He's a diminishing asset here, and that was almost pre-determined.

Your bringing up Bonsignoee, from how many GM, owners, coaches, years ago?
And Yaks fate has now been determined?
Oh my, this is quite the trolling

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World

Is Nathan MacKinnon a diminishing asset as well?

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Holy thread necromancy batman.

It is okay to start new threads sometimes. Or well, not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad