Jason Bonsignore interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I guess I probably missed it. Anyone with updates? I'm sure he's very bitter with regards to a lot of his hockey past.

NVM, didn't realize you posted this a minute ago.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
For what, drafting him too high?

Modern **** or "they didn't do anything for me in 1994"?

metallicat

Aug 9, 2003
Edson, AB
Visit site
Basically about how poorly he was treated. Accepting zero responsibility for everything. I can't transcribe it all, listen in now, or when they put out the podcasts.

Kevotron

Jan 24, 2008
Edmonton
Basically about how poorly he was treated. Accepting zero responsibility for everything. I can't transcribe it all, listen in now, or when they put out the podcasts.

he did accept responsibility, he said part of it was his fault and that he did not have good work ethic and did not know what it took to make it in the NHL level, I believe that to a certain extent of what Jason is saying is true

Calgary McOilers

Sep 13, 2008
Calgary
- He blames the organization for not treating him well off the bat.
- Said Sather's first words to him were "I am not going to give you a million dollars"
- As a 19 yr old kid, Sather brought him into the room and told him he was "fat"
- Had him go to the rink at 5:30am by himself to workout
- Saw Smyth being treated differently. Welcomed with open arms while he was treated miserablely.
- People did not understand him
- "I wasn't a bust".... "I worked hard".... "It wasn't having fun so it was hard to be motivated..." "It wasn't about the money"... "All my confidence went out the window when I first step into the NHL".

CanadianCommie

Cold North Comrade
Jul 25, 2006
Sherwood Park, AB
he was part of the organization such a long time ago I'm not really sure what value him ranting is other than "the late nineties and early 2000s sucked"...which I think I can confidently say most people have realized by now.

hockeyaddict101

Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
On the radio right now.

- Said Sather's first words to him was "I am not going to give you a million dollars"
- As a 19 yr old kid, Sather brought him into the room and told him he was "fat"
- Saw Smyth being treated differently. Welcomed with open arms while he was treated miserablely.
- "I wasn't a bust".... "I worked hard".... "It wasn't having fun so it was hard to be motivated..." "It wasn't about the money"... "All my confidence went out the window when I first step into the NHL".

Just want to say that his draft report on THN at the time said "Great hands, no heart" This is when Bob Mckenzie was still on their staff and a major contributer to the draft day preview.

He was noted for having a "sense of entitlement"

Not wanting to take what he says with a grain of salt, but his issues were widely known at the time.

Sather is the same guy that Messier and Gretzky and many other Oilers give major credit too, so perhaps I do take his words with a grain of salt.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
On the radio right now.

- Said Sather's first words to him was "I am not going to give you a million dollars"

Wow. What an ass. Slats first mistake wasn't his treatment of this guy. It was drafting him in the first place. And beyond that...its been several years since Bonsignore was anywhere near the NHL radar so this is a rant coming about 10 years too late.

Oct 15, 2008

Thanks for the heads up. I caught the gist of it. Not much good to say about Sather that's for sure.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Oh wow. Read the other thread and saw the breakdown. If he said those things, hard to take him seriously. They drafted him 2 picks before Smyth and then descriminated against him while treating Smyth like gold.

That makes sense. :rolleyes:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I can't see what he could be mad about he was only here for 2-3 years. Was he made that he didn't make the team out of draft year?

Neilio

Navi-X, Google it
Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Terrible attitude then and now. Every other NHL player that came before him could probably muster up a better story than that. Boo hoo, I din't get a million dollars, they called me fat, whaaaaaah!

We wasted a top pick on a slug. Maybe he doesn't realize how far that sets a franchise back. Does a team want their top pick to fail? No.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
- Said Sather's first words to him were "I am not going to give you a million dollars"
So he is mad at Slats then not the Oilers? Also why in the **** would he be on the radio? Let Gene practice his puns or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad