Jason Bonsignore interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't have time to listen to some neverwas to go on about what should've been but wasn't because of how he was miss treated. If he wasn't there to throw the current Oilers regime under the bus then I don't see what the point was in him doing the interview.

Apparently you do have the time?

Simply because you don't want it to be true, doesn't mean that it's not.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
An ex-Oiler ripping the mgmt, you could knock me over with a feather right now.

THEY'RE ALL INNOCENT I TELL YOU!!!! INNOCENT! Except for maybe 2 gm's and coaches.

Oilerdiehard

Aug 9, 2005
Pennsylvania
Finally listened to most of that show.

Grant Fuhr came on right after and said he had to do those extra work outs just like Jason. Such as running stairs and everything, only he had to do it goalie gear, then he also had to do the full practice like Jason complained he had to do.

Then the following hour Spector came on. He said the stuff Bonsignore left out was that he acted like everyone owed him the job, had a bad attitude and did not like to work hard, always showed up out of shape, he also said he liked to "sass the coach" in front of everyone when he got the chance etc...

Obviously Slats did treat him badly at times, and he did take some blame himself, but it sounds like he may not be taking enough of the blame on to himself. As I mentioned earlier as well he had other chances with other organizations (that he himself treated him well) to get back and track never really even came close to doing that.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
1260 could do a 20 part series called "Its not my fault" and feature a different 1st round bust of Sathers every week.

hockeyaddict101

Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
Very good points, I agree. I just think more could have been done to help him. I admit I only see from outside but in generations gone by there certainly were the expectations of being tough and being a man however, not everyone matures to manhood at the same rate.

I've often wondered in past years about this old school mentality of dealing with athletes, more specifically with 18/19 year old kids, the same way. Not everyone needs to be prodded or kicking their butts to succeed, some need a finer touch or praise or what ever. These few people are world class athletes and it is worth the extra effort for their sakes and the teams to help them progress.

The effort that now goes into the young kids I believe is a welcome change.

Fair point. I think the Oilers have come a long way in how they treat their prospects. Sather was old school.

Alawishis

...so anyway.
Mar 12, 2008
Sherwood Park
If you listen to the interview again, pay attention to the verbiage of his training regime. There is a lot of "I had to", "then I had to", basically a lot of "had to"s. If that doesn't speak volumes of his degree of ownership of the process of becoming an NHL player I don't know what else. Its apparent to me that even today he has not changed, has not learned anything. His minor addendum's of "part of it was me too" seems to be a qualifier only to give himself credibility. At no point did I hear him say, or detail how the part of it that was "him" factored in. When it comes to the parts that were not him, he goes into great detail. Follow where his mind is tracing by what he details out.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
The Bonsignore interview was easily the high point of Gene Principe's 2 day stint as guest host of the Gregor Show. The low point? Gene absolutely embarrassing himself with a colossally stupid question to Eskimo GM Eric Tillman about offensive line play in football.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
One of Oiler's biggest mistakes. Set the team back 10 years, but since you can't change the past why whine about it?

Real_Estate-Agent

Sep 12, 2006
Edmonton
I think the thing alot of us are forgetting is that he was just a kid, and every kid matures at a different age..Obviously he wasnt mentally ready for the NHL at the time..

I saw Jason play against the Golden Bears - I remember that because all I kept thinking throughout the game is OMG - we drafted him?

He was one of the most awkward skaters on the ice - and slow... I knew at that moment he was not an NHL player. As I knew the first time I saw Alex Plante skate...

There is an interesting post on Oilers Nation buy Lowetide today that looks back at Messier's first year couple years here that kinda ties in with Bonsignore's complaints quite nicely imo.

It keys on some of the problems the Oilers had with Messier when he first got to the Oilers and some of the things they did to address them.

Times were different then... Few posters on this site have any clue about the off ice antics in those days. Only those who know what a "Davie Hunter Special" is have a clue what was going on.

Glen Sather's job was to ensure players did not need to be bailed out of jail. And use every motivational trick possible to ensure they gave 100% on the ice.

we tend to remember the Boys on the Bus as a group that only experienced good times but that was not the case. In the early days they were a team - and were players - with question marks and problems just like every other team.

We have a winner.... :cheers:

Slats' had a dark side. He was (at times) arrogant, beyond shrewd and bullish. Not many Oiler fans talk about it...but...its true.

It is true - and it is NOT a bad thing... He made the effort to know players hot buttons - he would push / prod / bully for them to give 100% when it mattered the most (playoffs).

And if they bought into the system - Sather would back them 100% in their personal challenges. And ignored their criminal records and drug history so long as they were team players.

Real_Estate-Agent

Sep 12, 2006
Edmonton
Grant Fuhr came on right after and said he had to do those extra work outs just like Jason. Such as running stairs and everything, only he had to do it goalie gear, then he also had to do the full practice like Jason complained he had to do.

Speaking of former Oilers, drugs, etc... ;)

The best part is that Fuhr faced more breakaways than probably any goalie in NHL history. And he loved them...

Sather pushed him - Sather protected him - so long as the results were there...

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
One of Oiler's biggest mistakes. Set the team back 10 years, but since you can't change the past why whine about it?

Your right...because we could of had Jamie Storr, Jason Weimer or Brett Lindros!!!

Gimme a break...it's not like we lost out an anyone spectacular. It was a terribled draft year. We made a bad pick, sure, but was hardly a collosal error where we missed out on other superstars.

The Kelly/Doan incident was far more damaging

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
Oh well, we made up for it by selecting the 2nd or 3rd best player in the draft at 6 (top player Alfredsson in the 6th round, and then I'd probably have Elias, a late 2nd rounder 2nd, and then Smyth)

Ogopogo*

Unless your one of the players he ruined.

No coach or GM can ruin a player. Players make it or don't make it on their own accord. Most good NHL coaches push their players and use nasty language at times to make a point. A player can choose to curl up in the fetal position and wash out of the league or step up, be a man, and become a good NHLer. Much like being abused as a child - it is a horrible thing but, you can choose to blame that for your meth addiction as an adult or you can use it to make you stronger, and more determined to become successful in life. Nobody makes you into a loser you choose that path yourself.

Bonsignore chose to die. He didn't have what it takes to be a professional and that cannot be put on Sather or anyone else. Only Bonsignore is responsible for the success or failure of Bonsignore. If, after all these years, he is still pointing fingers as to why his life didn't turn out the way he wanted, he will likely always be a bum.

Be accountable, man up and do something with your life. Blaming the whole world for your failures keeps you a failure.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Bonsignore's problems started well before he was with the Oilers

from Gare Joyce's 'Future Greats and Heartbreaks' (The quotes in quotation marks are from Bonsignore's junior coach Don Boyd)
jesus

the part about bonsignore bringing his usa jersey back to juniors and his team lighting it on fire... wow.
THAT is hate

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Bonsignore's problems started well before he was with the Oilers

from Gare Joyce's 'Future Greats and Heartbreaks' (The quotes in quotation marks are from Bonsignore's junior coach Don Boyd)

An ex-Oiler ripping the mgmt, you could knock me over with a feather right now.

THEY'RE ALL INNOCENT I TELL YOU!!!! INNOCENT! Except for maybe 2 gm's and coaches.

personally some people dont need to be babied. do you want to baby a player who cant take his future seriously and who you just wasted a pick on. BTW the guy you drafted 2 spots after is in shape and ready to work hard.

in real life fat slob fails life and gets the boot. no time for losers.

now the only question is (since all the aforementioned stuff has been said by everyone in the know for years and is not in any way shape or form "news") did nhl teams pamper prospects back then that were tubbies? yes. do they now? no. you show up in shape and ready to work or 20 people will be jumping you in the depth chart by the end of the week. did the Sather era oilers EVER have a good draft record other than picking out wha projects, canadian national team members, and gretzkys own advice ((coffey))? nope. NEVER.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Your right...because we could of had Jamie Storr, Jason Weimer or Brett Lindros!!!

Gimme a break...it's not like we lost out an anyone spectacular. It was a terribled draft year. We made a bad pick, sure, but was hardly a collosal error where we missed out on other superstars.

The Kelly/Doan incident was far more damaging

frankly i think the oilers chose bonsignore because we had 2 picks in a row. draft track record...even in the glory years... leaves me unconvinced but i like to think this. take the guy people say has the best talent BUT is 50/50 to fail...then take a sure fire safe pick. from the scouts of the day smyth was going to be an nhl'er period. his impact was somewhat questioned but not his hockey iq, or determination and work ethic. high risk pick followed by safe pick. seems intelligent... but as i said earlier if it wasnt for gretzky and a couple of others making nudges to obtain players from the international circuit...the oilers would have been a mere shell.

also sather always said he didnt like wimps. said gretzky was one of the most focussed and intent athletes he ever met (so sather wasnt dumb enough to believe wimp meant not being able to bench 5 plates a side). i believe the rumored sather conversation from bonsignore is true. that is exactly how sather would approach him. he did it to coffey alot about hockey iq not fitness. coffey was lifting more than messier when he joined the nhl (from mess'es bio)

remember as well we didnt develop players very well but it doesnt much matter because most of the players never did much else where. anyone mentioning boyd devereaux should look at the team he played on and he wasnt any better a player for them. on detroit he played a set role, just a minor role on the best team in the nhl, one of the deepest organizations year in and year out. give head shake.

Last edited:

sundog

Jun 17, 2007
I'm not suggesting that all, or even the majority, of the fault lies with Sather.
But as someone once said "Coaching is like gardening; some players need care, attention, and sunshine; and some players need a weedwacker..."

It's the job of the management/coaching of any team to know the personalty of the player you have and treat him in a way that will help him succeed.

When I was a kid and playing organized sports (and I played at a pretty high level of hockey) if a coach would have reamed me out in front of the team I'd have been mortified and it would affect my play. If he took me aside and calmly explained what I was doing wrong or what he needed me to do, I'd run though brick walls for that coach.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'm not suggesting that all, or even the majority, of the fault lies with Sather.
But as someone once said "Coaching is like gardening; some players need care, attention, and sunshine; and some players need a weedwacker..."

It's the job of the management/coaching of any team to know the personalty of the player you have and treat him in a way that will help him succeed.

When I was a kid and playing organized sports (and I played at a pretty high level of hockey) if a coach would have reamed me out in front of the team I'd have been mortified and it would affect my play. If he took me aside and calmly explained what I was doing wrong or what he needed me to do, I'd run though brick walls for that coach.

While I agree with this on the most part, I don't even think any logical approach to coaching would have helped Bonsignore. How would tending his garden work out back then if he still hasn't accepted responsibility now? He showed signs of laziness and even disrespect in other leagues as well.

Now that I have thought about the interview more, I do not feel nearly as bad for him as I intitially did.

If anyone is gonna make excuses and blame others, they were never cut out to be in the NHL. Christ, Theo Fleury probably had one of the best excuses not to make the grade in the NHL by blaming someone for his issues, not "I had to skate by myself at 5:30 in the morning "problems". Hell, in Peewee I had a chance to go to the A team but I had to practice at 5:30 in the morning, which was too early for me. That was my choice not to join, it would interfere in my sleep. But I was FAR from having the chance to join the Edmonton Oilers like crybaby Jason.

/ Sorry this turned into a rant. I was actually getting more and more pissed off as I continued from my original thought :laugh:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Yea thats totally what I was saying in my post... :handclap:

Player's Edmonton brought in recently who sucked/didnt come close to expectations.

O'sullivan
Lupul
Penner(Last season notwithstanding)
Foster
Comrie
Cogs and gags and Nilson nose diving since their rookie season.
Smid's inability to get any better.

I could go on here, face it our development program sucks. Had it not been for the last couple of draft picks this organization would be going nowhere.

PSO - junk
Lupul - average everywhere
Penner - Lombardi said he'd make a great slowpitch player
Foster - junk
Comrie - did alright here
Cogs/gags - did or doing allright
Nillsen - junk

Devoureux - average everywhere
Hecht - average everywhere
Cleary - did better with mature (got off the bottle)

the examples you pick do not support your argument. Arnott, Satan are better examples.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
a 6'4" right handed, talented centre (not exactly a dime a dozen) and 29 other franchises don't give him a walkon tryout? at least i had the 5'8" excuse. he has no one to blame but himself.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Just listened to the interview on ON radio again just a few minutes ago. He sounds like a spoiled, bitter brat. Like he's about to cry at some point. It's embarrassing.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Just listened to the interview on ON radio again just a few minutes ago. He sounds like a spoiled, bitter brat. Like he's about to cry at some point. It's embarrassing.

Yeah...Was it 630 ched Philly? I just heard it driving around today. They are apparently working on getting Glen Sather to respond......sent him the link to the Bonsignore interview and everything. I hope he responds, that is something I really want to hear.

Auguste McEscoffier

Oct 20, 2009
Yeah...Was it 630 ched Philly? I just heard it driving around today. They are apparently working on getting Glen Sather to respond......sent him the link to the Bonsignore interview and everything. I hope he responds, that is something I really want to hear.

That would make for great radio. Though I would rather hear Rishaug interview him; not Gregor or Principe, especially not Spector.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Interesting TED talk about motivation:

Truth be told, JB really didn't sound like he wanted it very badly. I know plenty of drafted players that couldn't quite make the cut. They spend their evenings partying, eating pizza, and not really focusing on their careers.

If a professional athlete isn't conditioned, then there's proof they aren't taking it seriously. They DON'T have a good diet. They AREN'T exercising.

I work as a Character Art Director for a video game studio in Montreal, and I review thousands of applicants for jobs. Most of those applicants have zero understanding of anatomy, and zero understanding of proportions, and form. It's all there, yet almost all of them defend their bad anatomy, tooth and nail, rather than admit it needs work, and take a class.

The other thing I should note is although negative reinforcement only works with a few people. NHL'ers deal with incredulous amounts of negative reinforcement through the media, and the fans. ESPECIALLY the fans in Edmonton.

If a player is playing poorly in the NHL, they will not be coddled to play better. They will be told they are a 'bum' then ran out of town.

If Jason Bonsignore was a player that needed positive reinforcement, he really never had a shot at becoming an NHLer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad