Waived: Jaromir Jagr

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Thing is it appears to me he doesn't want to pay the price anymore. When he signed with us, he admitted he hadn't trained in the off season and would need time to get into shape, he missed the preseason and some games all because he didn't want to pay the price over the summer because he didn't know if he would find a job in the NHL. To me that's a huge warning sign. He was slow as molasses and got winded very quickly, sadly shadow of himself. Now maybe he was been training hard after recouping from the injury, and he could make a go with another team, you never know I guess.
Not true - he trained as usual, but as he said, nothing prepares you better for the intensity than actual games (five months not playing games is a lot).

I doubt he'll be hanging them up - he loves the game so much, he'll simply keep playing in Europe.

On the upside, maybe I'll now get to see him live in Kladno :)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
At this point, if any team picks him up it's for doing PR

Agreed.

I wonder... it's a lost season in Ottawa, but we still need to sell tickets for the rest of the season. We have 16 home games left, maybe a team like the Sens claim him to give the fans a reason to come to the arena for the rest of the season? Seeing a future HHOFer, even at his age and ability, might drum up enough ticket sales and jersey/merch sales in a season that is otherwise a total write-off to make it worth it?

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
as far as i know, he's been battling injuries most of the season so i think he's still better than the jagr we were seeing play in calgary

i hope this isn't the end of his NHL career. with some time off to get back to full health i think he can still contribute to a team, but if this is the end at least he'll be continuing his career in europe

guy just loves playing hockey

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Jagr wants to resume his career......

Pitsburgh needs an emotional spark of some kind to re-motivate themselves......

I'm just saying.

Pens have already turned it around, and they have no room for Jagr. Right wing is their number one area of strength. Jagr would not even crack their nhl lineup this year. Now, if he were a center...

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Jagr wants to resume his career......

Pitsburgh needs an emotional spark of some kind to re-motivate themselves......

I'm just saying.

Pittsburgh is 7-3 in their last 10. I think they're doing OK without him. He's done as a player in the NHL. If some team wants him as a mascot, to try and sell seats, then more power to them.

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
Habs should grab him to replace Andrew Shaw's minutes while injured. He has needed to play alongside Plekanec for his whole NHL career.... if he has success, trade him to a contender at the DL. Need another Jagr jersey.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Anyone hoping that he gets claimed, I'm just gonna fill you in.

He was only here for 4 months or so, but he clearly had an effect on the youth here. This alone made it worth bringing him in.

As for his play, don't get your hopes up. He's still strong on the puck, but his puck handling is poor, and he's probably the slowest skater in the league. He's a lot like Iginla last year.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Not true - he trained as usual, but as he said, nothing prepares you better for the intensity than actual games (five months not playing games is a lot).

I doubt he'll be hanging them up - he loves the game so much, he'll simply keep playing in Europe.

On the upside, maybe I'll now get to see him live in Kladno :)

Incorrect, he did not train as per usual, if he had he would have played some preseason games, he did not, but don't take my word for it. To quote Jagr himself "Give me a little bit of time because it was a little bit of a different summer, when you don't have motivation to practice, to go any direction, I didn't know where I gonna play If I ever gonna play, so now I know so I probably gonna need a little more time than usually, but after a while I can promise you i'll do everything to help this team."

He says it 1:08 seconds in

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Incorrect, he did not train as per usual, if he had he would have played some preseason games, he did not, but don't take my word for it. To quote Jagr himself "Give me a little bit of time because it was a little bit of a different summer, when you don't have motivation to practice, to go any direction, I didn't know where I gonna play If I ever gonna play, so now I know so I probably gonna need a little more time than usually, but after a while I can promise you i'll do everything to help this team."

He says it 1:08 seconds in

Of course it was a different summer, but that doesn't mean he didn't train. I think you misunderstood what he meant.

Translated from a Czech article from late September:
[Jagr speaking about the Olympics]
"I'd like to talk about the topics: Jagr and international plays and Jagr and Olympics. About two days ago, we did an interview with (Czech reporter) where they asked me what are my aims and options in the upcoming season, and I answered: "firstly, I'd like to return to the NHL for at least one more year, and if that didn't work out, I'd like to play somewhere in Europe, or in Kladno and attempt to get to the Olympics. I spoke honestly, didn't really think about it, I said it how I felt it, and I didn‘t believe it would lead to such humbug, that it would appear in the media next day, that the reporters would start calling all the hockey experts and trainers, asking if (I would be) an asset or not an asset, if it would be good if Jagr played or not...

To explain why I wanted it - how it occurred to me, why I said that - I believe every human, not just me, but every human, not just in sports but in every job, in life, needs goals. Goals, motivation, and the bigger and harder goals and motivation he chooses, the better job he does. That's why I also need some motivation, some goal, whenever I go into a season. Usually I wanted to be the best hockey player I could be, score as much goals as I could, play well, be as useful to the team as I could be. Now, it occurred to me that the best motivation for me if I don't go the NHL would be to try to return to (the Czech national team). But I didn't think if I was good that I'd be there - it would depend on the trainers, my form, it would depend on various circumstances, whether I'd be useful or not. I can't influence that; the only thing I can influence is pick the best goal I can and go determinedly after it, do the maximum for reaching it. It doesn't really matter not if I'll be (at the Olympics) or not; what I really wanted was to set a goal for myself so I have motivation for next season, so I didn't just go to the skating ring to just skate around and then go home; I wouldn't be a professional then, I'd be an amateur who does hockey just for fun and I don't want to be that just yet. So I hope you understand I meant it like that, that I didn't want to (cause all this attention), and I'd be the happiest if nobody talked about it anymore, and what shall come will come and that's what I'd say about that. I'd thank all the reporters if they would stop calling the teams and trainers whether or not I should be an asset in the Olympics; I just saw it as my biggest, best motivation if I stay in Europe. Thank you."

Attitude or not training enough was never the problem.

Nov 24, 2006
He's had a great career. Maybe it's time to retire and move on. If he's played his financial cards right he probably doesn't have to work another day in his life.

If he played his financial cards all wrong, he'll still never work a day in his life. He's earned almost $136 million. And that's just the NHL!

Jaromir Jagr

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Attitude or not training enough was never the problem.

Nobody can avoid it....his body can not handle the NHL schedule anymore... at 46, he has played more than 99.9% of his peers.

Time to do something else, party in his case

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Jagr is going to keep playing, guys, just probably not here.

If Straka, Rucinsky, Nedved can play in the Czech league until 43-44 years old, Jagr can certainly play there until he's 50.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Nobody can avoid it....his body can not handle the NHL schedule anymore... at 46, he has played more than 99.9% of his peers.

Time to do something else, party in his case
For the good of Czech hockey, he needs to finally have kids and pass on those crazy genetics :D (Although, I'd feel sorry for any hockey kid with Jagr as the dad. Imagine the pressure and expectations with that surname...)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad