Waived: Jaromir Jagr

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
sucks this is how his career ends. best of luck to one of the GOAT's
just like with Selanne, the fans all want these legends to play forever, and the player would like to extend their careers a little and get support by getting a playing spot on the top line. It falls to the team to make the unpopular decision

Reactions: AnishLoomba

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
He's wanted to play in Montreal, please MB give him a chance. I'm not ready for his NHL career to end yet.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I'm in the minority, but I don't really see it as a sad way to go out. Jagr could have stopped years ago and had a cushy retirement, but the fact he is enjoys hockey so much he is literally willing to grind until the day he can't anymore I have a certain respect for.

I also wonder if there might be an Olympic deal in the works given the timing. But then again playing in this years Olympics would be the same as getting sent to the ahl, so probably not

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
He's playing for the love of the game at this point, which is admirable. He just doesn't have much left in the tank to compete at the NHL level, at least to the level of what we would expect of him. The man is gonna be 46. I'm sad we'll probably never see 800 goals, or 2000 points.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Guy is a warrior.
I was 20 years old when he was drafted. Unbelievable he went this long.
And no, this is not a sad day, nor is it a day to grieve. He should be celebrated, because he was one of the best.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

willyjones

May 30, 2013
He is not done yet. He needs conditioning to come back. At his age, injuries last longer and to stay in game shape needs to train everyday so if his injury hinders that, its going to take twice as long as someone in their twenties.

Reactions: ProspectsFanatic

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Calgary are fighting for their playoff lives though, and if Jagr doesn't fit in that picture then he's got to go. The fact that while he's there, there will be fans who demand he get prime minutes and play a lot just because of who he is, is a problem.

I do think he could be useful in the NHL still, in the right situation

He's got to be in a top 6 role, but playing 13 minutes a night. He's got to play with talented players. Or a Sam Gagner type thing.

He doesn't have the gas anymore, and he's been injured a ton.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
He is not done yet. He needs conditioning to come back. At his age, injuries last longer and to stay in game shape needs to train everyday so if his injury hinders that, its going to take twice as long as someone in their twenties.
Thing is it appears to me he doesn't want to pay the price anymore. When he signed with us, he admitted he hadn't trained in the off season and would need time to get into shape, he missed the preseason and some games all because he didn't want to pay the price over the summer because he didn't know if he would find a job in the NHL. To me that's a huge warning sign. He was slow as molasses and got winded very quickly, sadly shadow of himself. Now maybe he was been training hard after recouping from the injury, and he could make a go with another team, you never know I guess.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
He'll get traded or claimed by a contender.
No he won't. Every other team saw the same thing Calgary's front office did. He basically got no interest outside of Calgary in the off-season and now they are cutting him loose.

Sadly it looks like his NHL career is over. He just can't play in today's game anymore. Too slow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad