Confirmed with Link: Jarome Iginla is Retiring

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I hope everyone understands how truly lucky we Flames fans are to have Iginla play for us. Yeah, Oilers and Pens fans got Gretzky and Sid as some of the greatest to play, but there are so very few players in the history of the game that played the game at an elite level, but also respected the way Iginla is, whether its teammates, media, or rival fans. You run through the main board thread and over and over you see Oiler & Canuck fans saying "hate the Flames but love/respect Iggy". That is a special person to be ingrained into the fabric of this franchise, and always will be.

I don't know what the word is, honored, lucky, privileged, but whatever the word is, that's how I feel to have Iggy as my favorite player of all time, because there aren't going to be too many people who would or could question why.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I hope everyone understands how truly lucky we Flames fans are to have Iginla play for us. Yeah, Oilers and Pens fans got Gretzky and Sid as some of the greatest to play, but there are so very few players in the history of the game that played the game at an elite level, but also respected the way Iginla is, whether its teammates, media, or rival fans. You run through the main board thread and over and over you see Oiler & Canuck fans saying "hate the Flames but love/respect Iggy". That is a special person to be ingrained into the fabric of this franchise, and always will be.

I don't know what the word is, honored, lucky, privileged, but whatever the word is, that's how I feel to have Iggy as my favorite player of all time, because there aren't going to be too many people who would or could question why.

My buddy, an Oilers fan, said that outside of Gretzky Iginla is his GOAT. Pretty high praise from our rival fanbase.

Reactions: SmellOfVictory

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
how in the actual **** can we ensure the flames retire his number? Because it'll be a crime if they don't.
I would be really surprised if they didn't. This isn't like MacInnis or some of the other guys who either split a fair bit of time with other teams, or had a core (but not franchise) impact on the team. Iginla was the Flames for well over a decade, and that's not something you can say about many players on many teams.

Reactions: Cyrano

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I would be really surprised if they didn't. This isn't like MacInnis or some of the other guys who either split a fair bit of time with other teams, or had a core (but not franchise) impact on the team. Iginla was the Flames for well over a decade, and that's not something you can say about many players on many teams.
Should be retired league wide really

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I was just thinking, did we ever get that Iginal-Phaneuf fight on the ice? I know they got close in Toronto that one time, but the refs broke it up.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Think we’ll ever see that again? Where the best player on the ice could also be the toughest dude on the ice?

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Assuming from the constant stream of Iginlaposting on Flames social media that the team is gonna make the right call and put his number in the rafters.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Assuming from the constant stream of Iginlaposting on Flames social media that the team is gonna make the right call and put his number in the rafters.

Depending on InfinityIggy's current mental status, he will either be very pleased or very disappointed...

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Not to worry, I am always disappointed.

This comment reminded me of this for some odd reason...

giphy.gif

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad