Confirmed with Link: Jarome Iginla is Retiring

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
There's a deep long shot hope of mine, that the Flames group sits down together and have a long hard chat starting the season in a point fashion gang busters style.

Hopefully it gives the option and Iggy decides to un-retire at the TDL and attempts to chase the cup Lanny style.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
I figured I'd post it here as well:

About time for the Flames legend.

Should've been a Flame his whole career, he didn't look right in any other jersey. When you search Calgary flames on google images, his face is shown. He's the face of the franchise, and best Flame of all time.

As a Canucks fan, I have massive respect for this player, and I'd be pretty damn pissed if he doesn't get his jersey retired by the Flames organization, which really says a lot.

He was one of the few flames back in the dead puck era that made me worried whenever he played against my team, as the Flames are generally rivals to the Canucks, and especially when he's the main and integral focus to shut down. Iggy played a lot better when he was pissed off, and was extremely tough to play against in general. Great shot, power foward, extremely hard worker, solid playmaker, can scrap and put up 40-50 in prime/peak. He was the whole package and a beast. 2004 playoffs to the SC was a 2 man show for the most part: Him and Kipper. It sucks that he didn't win the cup, I really feel sad, the same way two Canuck legends in the Sedins didn't win it.

Iginla deserves more respect and has become extremely underrated around the league. He lead the Avs in scoring in 2015, and actually was decent during his tenure in LA the last time he played.

Also one of the most classiest and soft spoken players in the league, very likeable off the ice with his down to earth personality, always smiling in interviews.

Happy retirement. The Hall of fame awaits you.

iginla-jarome-120107-1180.jpg

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
how in the actual **** can we ensure the flames retire his number? Because it'll be a crime if they don't.

Protests are vogue I hear. Someone spray painting "Retire#12" all over the Dome property could perhaps catch the attention of management as well I guess... but I don't suggest it.

Heck, it could still be attempted if the management group/Owners? actually are dumb enough to not retire his number on the 30th.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

Should've been a Flame his whole career, he didn't look right in any other jersey. When you search Calgary flames on google images, his face is shown. He's the face of the franchise, and best Flame of all time.

As a Canucks fan, I have massive respect for this player, and I'd be pretty damn pissed if he doesn't get his jersey retired by the Flames organization, which really says a lot.

He was one of the few flames back in the dead puck era that made me worried whenever he played against my team, as the Flames are generally rivals to the Canucks, and esspecially when he's the main and integral focus to shut down. Iggy played a lot better when he was pissed off, and was extremely tough to play against in general. Great shot, power foward, extremely hard worker, can scap and put up 40-50 in prime/peak. 2004 playoffs to the SC was a 2 man show for the most part: Him and Kipper. It sucks that he didn't win the cup, I really feel sad, the same way two Canuck legends in the Sedins didn't win it.

Iginla deserves more respect and has become extremely underrated around the league. He lead the Avs in scoring in 2015, and actually was decent during his tenure in LA the last time he played.

Also one of the most classiest and soft spoken players in the league, very likeable off the ice with his down to earth personality, always smiling in interviews.

Classy post man, I felt the same way when Linden retired.

Reactions: Sayonara77

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
'BETTER THAN I COULD'VE HOPED FOR'

"When I was traded from Calgary, I must admit, I had to catch myself a couple times. I didn't want to be crying. Nothing against anybody who cries, understand …

"But it was emotional. The closing of a neat part of my career, a long part of my career.

"So, to be honest, I don't know if I'll hold it together this time.

"I'm going to try.

"I plan on it.

"But being back in the Saddledome with all the great memories I have in that building …

"I guess there are no guarantees."

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Could you imagine where the team would be if we actually traded him for Michael Peca or if we received the prospect we actually were asking the Stars for in the Nieuwendyk trade, Todd Harvey?

Ovechkin/Crosby/Malkin would have been a Flames....

Or Patrik Stefan

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

He was one of the few flames back in the dead puck era that made me worried whenever he played against my team, as the Flames are generally rivals to the Canucks, and especially when he's the main and integral focus to shut down. Iggy played a lot better when he was pissed off, and was extremely tough to play against in general. Great shot, power foward, extremely hard worker, solid playmaker, can scrap and put up 40-50 in prime/peak. He was the whole package and a beast. 2004 playoffs to the SC was a 2 man show for the most part: Him and Kipper. It sucks that he didn't win the cup, I really feel sad, the same way two Canuck legends in the Sedins didn't win it.

Thanks for this, mucho respect. Honestly I’d have words with any Flames fan that ever said anything disrespectful about Linden. There’s a handful of guys that have always played the game the right way and done it with class and never missed a shift off the ice if you know what I mean. Iggy and Linden were 2 of the best all time at this and I have the outmost respect for the both of them.

And yeah, it will very dishonourable if they don’t retire #12.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
now it feels like a while since he was traded to Pittsburgh.

great player, great guy. It's a shame we wasted those 2005-2009 years. Golden opportunities for him to have one. Let alone *that* year before...

Of course his #12 will be retired, but no one would be dumb enough to even suggest wearing it anyway.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
There's a deep long shot hope of mine, that the Flames group sits down together and have a long hard chat starting the season in a point fashion gang busters style.

Hopefully it gives the option and Iggy decides to un-retire at the TDL and attempts to chase the cup Lanny style.

Stop, stop, I can only get so Erixon.

Reactions: Janks

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Jarome Iginla "Iggy" is/was the best Flame ever!

When it comes to the numbers Iggy sits atop every other Flame that played but he was more than just the numbers. I have never seen another Flame give back to the community the way Iggy did. Unlike many lesser players he was always approachable more often than not with that big smile. He not only lead his team he lead in the community putting his name behind many causes by getting people engaged and active.

Few NHLers had the class of Iggy. Whether it be in a locker room, a TV interview, a fundraising event, an ambassador of the game at the Olympics, or simply walking down the street Iggy carried himself with class and grace often with that legendary smile. On the ice there was no Flame that could match his competitiveness and passion for the game. Here was a superstar that would drop-em with some of the toughest goons in the league then after his 5 minutes he would jump on the ice and beat them again on another level.

The only question that still sits in my head is how good could he have been if he simply had a bonafide #1 center at his side in his prime? Does the 2004 Stanley Cup end in 5 games? Does Calgary dominate the West until 2012?

In a time of great hope for the Flames it is sad to see a man that meant so much to this team, this city, and even this country leave the game. I just hope those numbers and achievements are the aim of the young stars that play with that Flaming Red C today. In it they could not find a better role model.

Thank you Iggy.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad